Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Dead Red cartridge .. - Page 4

Re: Dead Red cartridge ..

Posted by: Amarnth
Date: 2009-06-11 12:06:27
Yeah, I'd say your cart's past dead.

My Silver game has kicked it, but my Blue one still, mostly, functions.  I heard something about most of the Gold/Silver releases having a bad battery life, and it got considerably improved in later releases, but that's when almost everyone had their copy.  I only know this because our Crystal still works, and my sister's Gold cart we bought (after hers got stolen at a tournament we went to) is A-Okay.

Posted by: rinlingyo
Date: 2009-06-11 13:01:17

So, I guess too many codes can fuck up a game.

Curious, is that too many Game Shark codes, or too many codes NOT involving a Game Shark (the Mew Trick, for example), or just too many of any codes?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-06-13 09:17:58
rinlingyo: prolly too many GS codes
Amarnth: i still have the cart :D
            maybe i'll make another youtube video of the lockup upon selecting new game

It's rather a shame that i deleted the save file on the thing, i coulda shown you that the mart still worked (displayed menu after a while, and could get in the buy menu) and items still worked (could view bag, etc. since game froze trying to access party, no joy actually _using_ any items :D)

Posted by: Sarial
Date: 2009-06-13 09:57:14
Yea, my Pok?mon Red's battery died in like 2006…

I found it at my dad's house just a couple of weeks ago, and I think the battery has actually started leaking into the cartridge o_O;;

Yea, when I tried it the first time in years, I got a Missingno-like creature instead of Charmander on the startup screen, and it froze after the introduction (before it dumps you into your room).

The second time I tried it, the game ran for about 15 minutes, then froze with the Striped Screen of Death. After that, I reset the GBA and it actually played for over 40 minutes and the game didn't crash or freeze o_O;;

I wonder if something like Play-N-Trade can change the battery in it? It's probably too late now, though…

OTOH, my Blue, Crystal, and Silver still work fine (my sister has Gold), and I probably don't have to worry about the later games (Gen 3 and up) for a long time, lol