Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokémon Bank Generation I transfer experiments - Page 3

Re: Pokémon Bank Generation I transfer experiments

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-01-26 07:16:23
Summarizing the findings,

- Trying to transfer a box with more than 20 Pokemon
Need more research on a box with more than 20 but not 255 Pokemon. Possibly the easiest way to clone shiny "event" Mew?

- Trying to transfer a box without an 0xFF terminator
Haven't been tested.

- Transferring glitch Pokemon and/or hybrids
Blocked.

- Transferring Pokemon with levels over 100 and level 0
Levels over 100 are reverted to 100. Not sure about level 0.
Normally we'd need to test for level 101+ Pokemon with negative growth rate, but they're blocked so…

- How are invalid characters handled in nicknames and OT names?
Invalid characters (including numbers) are all changed to spaces. The PK and MN symbols are changed to P and M respectively. The "period" in MR.MIME and MISSINGNO. is changed to -. The multiplication symbol is changed to x. Square brackets are changed to normal brackets.

Note that the "bad name filter" checks the nicknames after the character swaps, so [PK]ENIS won't pass through.

- Transferring glitch moves and transferring a Cooltrainer Ditto
- Transferring invalid combinations of moves, like Exploding Bulbasaurs, Crabhammer Charizards and Surfing Pikachus
Blocked.

Blocked since those aren't in the Pokemon's learnset.

- Transferring Pokemon with underflowed PP
- Transferring Pokemon with multiple status conditions (frozen burn and so on)

Pokemon are probably healed before the transfer?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-01-26 07:53:24
Thanks for the summary! that's very helpful

Posted by: Unused Trainer
Date: 2017-01-26 15:38:45
Next test: transfer level 128 and level 132 Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank  (for example level 128  Golbat and level 132 Mewtwo) and waiting what is happening!

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2017-01-26 18:10:59

Next test: transfer level 128 and level 132 Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank  (for example level 128  Golbat and level 132 Mewtwo) and waiting what is happening!

They'll just be reverted back to level 100, as I confirmed earlier. :P I transferred a level 151 Snorlax (since my in game name is AXEL???) to Pokemon Bank, and it just reverted back to level 100.

Posted by: SgvSth
Date: 2017-01-26 18:38:40
Just to ask, has anyone tried to transfer 21-30 Pokémon in either the English or Japanese version of Poké Transfer?  I see that the test with 255 Spearow didn't work, but I was curious based on how the Japanese games work.

Posted by: Unused Trainer
Date: 2017-01-27 05:53:15

They'll just be reverted back to level 100, as I confirmed earlier. :P I transferred a level 151 Snorlax (since my in game name is AXEL???) to Pokemon Bank, and it just reverted back to level 100.
This is sadly

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2017-01-27 16:39:19
Natures of Pokemon transferred above L100 will use the exp of the Pokémon before being reverted to level 100.

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2017-01-27 21:59:02

Natures of Pokemon transferred above L100 will use the exp of the Pokémon before being reverted to level 100.

In fact, it's worth noting that every Pokémon has its experience reset to the minimum required for its current level upon being transferred, but they all use their current experience in Gen I to determine their nature.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-01-28 05:15:46

In fact, it's worth noting that every Pokémon has its experience reset to the minimum required for its current level upon being transferred, but they all use their current experience in Gen I to determine their nature.

This looks like error "checking" and error traps are poorly designed. Have any methods of exploiting them (or circumventing them ?) been found ?

Date: 2017-01-28 05:33:12

This looks like error "checking" and error traps are poorly designed. Have any methods of exploiting them (or circumventing them ?) been found ?

I don't think this particular quirk indicates poor design (although many others do, especially using experience to determine nature). My guess is that this is due to the experience at level 1 differing between Gen I/II and Gen III onward for the Medium Fast, Medium Slow, and Slow experience groups. In practice, this shouldn't actually matter since you can't get Pokémon at level 1 without glitches, but I imagine this was just Game Freak being (uncharacteristically) careful.

The advantages of this are that it allows you to manipulate the nature of an event Mew before sending it to Gen VII, but keeping it "untouched" in Gen VII (since experience and stat experience are reset). Maybe some collectors would argue that not being the nature for the experience it was gifted at means it's not untouched, but I wouldn't.

The only way I could see this being possible to exploit is if level 0 Pokémon could get through Transporter, in which case this is more likely to prevent unexpected behavior than cause it.

Date: 2017-01-30 01:13:15
So, some more details about the transfer mechanics have been discovered:

Missingno. etc. also cause the Pokémon's OT and Trainer ID to get passed along, as well as their nickname. It might be worth making sure there's nothing else that gets passed along. (SOURCE)

In French, a number of species names include characters with diacritics or in their names (FULL LIST). In Gen I/II, the Pokémon's names do not use diacritics, but they do in Gen III onward. Transporter assumes the names should have these special characters, but they don't, so these Pokémon get treated as being nicknamed. I have heard Clefairy Clefable has been tested, but the others have not.
EDIT: Charmander and Eevee have also been checked and confirmed.

I recently realized that Mr. Mime has no space in its English name in Generation I. This may be part of the reason unnicknamed Mr. Mime get nicknamed "MR-MIME" after being transported, in addition to the different code points for decimal point (used in Mr. Mime's name) and full stop (available for entry in nicknames).

I checked, and if your OT hits the 3DS's word filter, it gets removed and replaced by Red* (at least from English Pokémon Red). This would be the only way to get an asterisk in the OT name of a Pokémon from Gen I.

Date: 2017-01-30 13:10:47
If there are any 2- or 3- letter filtered words, this might open the route for a buffer overflow.

Do we have a list of all those "censored" words ?

Posted by: TMTRAINER
Date: 2017-01-30 20:27:56

If there are any 2- or 3- letter filtered words, this might open the route for a buffer overflow.

It's safe to assume this is a large list, if not a complete list, of all the words banned on the 3DS.

Date: 2017-01-30 23:09:03
TheReMARCable tried in Yellow VC, and if you have a censored OT in that game it gets replaced by Yellow*.

Also, it's worth noting that if you had a censored OT from a Gen V game, Transporter would always replace it with Kuro* or Shiro* depending on the game (not sure if game of origin or the game being transferred from, and I don't know whether B2W2 have something different). I don't know the full details and have not tried myself, however. These were also the names used in Gen V's online if your Trainer name was filtered (apparently people named Connor experienced this a lot due to "Con" being picked up).

TMTRAINER's list is the one. It can change with every 3DS firmware update, so it's possible that list is out-of-date.

Anyway, it doesn't replace the words with "Red*"; if your OT gets filtered, the entire OT gets replaced. For a buffer overflow, you would be better off putting multiple instances of 0x5D (TRAINER) in an OT; they have to have something coded to handle it because the in-game trade Pokémon use it in their OTs.

Date: 2017-01-31 06:45:00

Anyway, it doesn't replace the words with "Red*"; if your OT gets filtered, the entire OT gets replaced. For a buffer overflow, you would be better off putting multiple instances of 0x5D (TRAINER) in an OT; they have to have something coded to handle it because the in-game trade Pokémon use it in their OTs.

Ah, I understood you wrongly about OT replacement.
Do we know what such a buffer overflow could corrupt as data ? I mean, if such a Pokémon was sent in-battle in S/M, would it cause any corruption ? If yes, what ?
Or maybe the replacement code is overflow-protected. Maybe.