Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Prof Oak - Page 2

Prof Oak

Posted by: pokemon_yellow
Date: 2007-10-13 19:11:46

Prof Oak is in there as a trainer type.
He is?
Do you encounter him?
I mean they could put him as a trainer type but you never battle him :P

Prof Oak

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-10-13 19:31:23
I've heard that there's a GS code that will let you fight Oak as a regular trainer, WITHOUT glitches. His Pokemon are very tough, in the late 60's and maybe early 70's, and include Tauros, Arcanine, and Exeggcutor, and two more I don't remember.   

Prof Oak

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-10-13 19:40:40
It must be random though actually, right?

Prof Oak

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-10-13 19:54:04
From what I hear, Oak's Pokemon are Tauros, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Gyrados, and Blastoise. I suspect he was to be the original Elite Four Champion, but they replaced him with Gary.

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 19:54:43
You mean Lance, right?

Prof Oak

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-10-13 19:56:50

You mean Lance, right?

I think he's talking about R/B/Y Oak. In G/S/C, the Pokemon Prof. is available as a trainer type, but I haven't actually seen Oak's party.

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 19:58:15
I AM talking about R/B/Y.

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 19:59:19
Oh, I thought he meant G/S/C. Good beta info anyway.

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 20:02:46
Actually, I always thought you would face off against the R/B/Y Oak after you beat the League and maybe did some other stuff, kinda like you face off against Red later in G/S/C. Besides, aren't Oak's Pokemon higher-leveled than Champion Gary's?

But there's one in G/S/C too? Interesting…for that matter, isn't the Bird type still in G/S/C as well?

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 20:05:01
I wonder why they took him out, anyway?

Yes. They are higher-leveled. Maybe originally Gary came up after you beat Oak but then they decided to change it so it was the other way around.

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 20:09:13
You mean Oak came up after you beat Gary.

Prof Oak

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-10-13 20:49:32
Bird type exists in RBY and GSC. It's very likely that they just didn't remove it from GSC (though it wasn't used in RBY at all either).

Professor Oak has three teams in RBY.
L66 Tauros
L67 Exeggutor
L68 Arcanine
L69 Blastoise/Charizard/Venusaur
L70 Gyarados

Notice that he has the starter and all three of Green's starter Pokemon replacements (Gyarados/Exeggutor/Arcanine).

RBY also has an unused Juggler trainer type (which has no trainers, but uses the same trainer data as Fisher) and "CHIEF," which also has no trainers (but uses the same data as a Scientist, and the same picture).

GSC has a "Pokemon Prof." trainer type, which has no trainers in it but uses Oak's picture. They likely kept it because it's a very simple way to show Oak's picture in the intro.

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 21:15:42

You mean Oak came up after you beat Gary.

I KNOW HE DOES. I meant originally, maybe the 2nd fight with Gary on Route 22 was your last, and when you beat Oak, maybe Gary appeared. But they changed it so Oak appears when you beat Gary.

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 21:24:11
I know about CHIEF, but the unused Juggler thing is new.

As for why Bird and Oak remain in G/S/C…I think it might have been the programmers being lazy. They had some heavy patching up to do to Pokemon's code to make G/S/C more stable, so the things that disn't make the game utterly spaz were left alone, or maybe they didn't have time.

Or maybe in G/S/C they planned for you to go against Oak, but changed their minds and used Red instead. 

I KNOW HE DOES. I meant originally, maybe the 2nd fight with Gary on Route 22 was your last, and when you beat Oak, maybe Gary appeared. But they changed it so Oak appears when you beat Gary

Hmm…maybe. It's kinda odd that Gary tells you that you "need more practice" after you've just whipped his butt.

Prof Oak

Date: 2007-10-13 21:29:26
Yeah, but which battle was that? The one on Route 22 or the Champion battle?