Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Page 1

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-06-15 14:12:55
This game for Nintendo Switch was announced during Nintendo's E3 2018 Nintendo Direct presentation (a few days ago on June 12), previously teased during a March 2018 Nintendo Direct.

What are our thoughts on this entry in the Super Smash Bros. series? It was interesting to know every character from the first four (or five if 3DS/Wii U are counted two games) games are going to be included, that's a lot of fighters. Ridley and Inkling look fun to play as, as well and in terms of echo fighters, I wonder what other echo fighters there might be other than Daisy.

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-15 18:26:00
HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

More or less.
It looks very complete, honestly, and I'm really eager to try it. I wonder how it will play, though.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2018-06-17 23:18:27
As someone who's incredibly involved in the Smash 4 competitive scene (I run my own tournaments, founded a major tournament series "Port Priority", and started a collegiate eSports team), this game is everything I could ever want.

Nintendo seems to finally be listening to that competitive side of the Smash Bros community and are making a game targeted specifically towards them. Whereas, in the past, Smash Bros was marketed as a "party game" first, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate represents a shift in Nintendo's focus for the franchise towards a more competitive atmosphere.

This is only the beginning of why I'm excited for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. With nerfs to dominant characters (Bayonetta and Cloud, mainly), buffs to really underused ones (Jigglypuff and Ganon look… good?), and an overhauled engine that nerfs disadvantage states through directional airdodges, this game makes me believe that this will be the best and most accessible version of Smash for competitive play. Melee is one thing, but the character and player variety we'll definitely see in the Smash Ultimate community will be something that no other Smash game has experienced before. Unknown players will rise out of nowhere, and currently dominant players might take a tumble. It's really exciting.

I also could see Nintendo's eSports division, Nintendo VS, running their own tournaments for this game like how they run Splatoon 2 tournaments. Sure, the Smash community in general puts on fantastically-ran events, but there's a lack of centralization and money in the tournament organization business. Put simply, no tournament organizer on Earth has the resources to do what Nintendo can do. Nintendo can make a million-dollar, centralized Smash circuit (much like what 2GG tried to do with the 2GG Championship Series last year) happen with ease, and that's something the game will need in order for it to be seen as a legitimate eSport, much like Overwatch, League of Legends, and others.

The one thing they haven't revealed yet that I hope they add is a Subspace Emissary-style Adventure mode. An adventure mode like that was noticeably missing from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which made me sad, as it was not only my favorite mode to play in Smash Bros. Brawl, but it also streamlined the process of unlocking characters, which, in a game with as big of a roster as Smash has, is definitely needed.

All in all —
Dev support + competitively-focused game + bigger roster = EXTREMELY HYPE

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2018-06-17 23:50:00
#JusticeForWaluigi

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2018-06-18 00:52:20
Here's some shitty OC I made.

#JusticeForWaluigi

Also this.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-06-19 13:33:55

The one thing they haven't revealed yet that I hope they add is a Subspace Emissary-style Adventure mode. An adventure mode like that was noticeably missing from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which made me sad, as it was not only my favorite mode to play in Smash Bros. Brawl, but it also streamlined the process of unlocking characters, which, in a game with as big of a roster as Smash has, is definitely needed.

All in all —
Dev support + competitively-focused game + bigger roster = EXTREMELY HYPE

That would be cool, and good post. I'm hyped too.

#JusticeForWaluigi

Yeah :(

Date: 2018-06-19 22:43:18
Waluigi will make it into Smash 6. He'll get the Ridley treatment.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-07-15 19:51:07
Few quick things.
One here are the echo characters I want.

Ken
Raichu
Different Links from the other games as skins
Tomodachi  and/or Miitopia Miis

Now for ideas of new fighters.

More Final Fantasy characters
Toad
Game Systems?
Krystal
Waluigi
More Xenoblade?
Pauline
LOZ species?
etc.

Also BTW Missing? No! where do you hold these tournaments? Maybe I would come with my dad because we both love playing SSB 4 together.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2018-07-15 22:49:17
Well, I know who I'm maining!

[img height=300]https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/ca9386b5920e4f9887bd466ca439e1bc/5BC53139/t51.2885-15/e35/36159833_825428780982999_7994789628152381440_n.jpg?efg=eyJ1cmxnZW4iOiJ1cmxnZW5fZnJvbV9pZyJ9&se=7&ig_cache_key=MTgxNjQxMzYzMDg3NTU4NzEyNA%3D%3D.2[/img]

Also with Cloud coming back and him getting a Mii Fighter costume, Geno might actually become a fighter.

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2018-07-16 02:27:57
Smash Ultimate looks awesome and I'm really liking the fact that
the combat is noticeably faster than Smash 4 and closer to Melee's
speed (Not that I'm comparing them or even think Melee is better,
slow combat just doesn't fit Smash at all).

Character wise I'm looking forward to trying Ridley, I'm not a big (pun intended)
fan of Ridley but Metroid was in serious need of more representation and he
looks very aggressive. I'll also be returning to my main man Ness and hopefully
Mewtwo got some good buffs along with my boy Marth.

Also I'm hoping Break The Targets makes a comback with it's own stage creator
along with Board The Platforms. And I want the Mushroom Kingdom
stage from 64 with working pipes and the 64 Star Fox stage with the original music.
If it has these 4 things it will be a 10/10 for me

Waluigi can F-off  :)

Date: 2018-07-16 11:56:35
They need to bring back all the stages! Also fix the prob with spammers of say Ness for example (looking at you Prisma) and also the fact that if the network glitches and you're trying to use a smash move with the R stock it doesn't sub it with an A attack. Also  Waluigi is essential to everything so by all means Prisms you can get lost.
#Waluigi FTW!

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2018-07-16 14:30:14

They need to bring back all the stages! Also fix the prob with spammers of say Ness for example (looking at you Prisma) and also the fact that if the network glitches and you're trying to use a smash move with the R stock it doesn't sub it with an A attack. Also  Waluigi is essential to everything so by all means Prisms you can get lost.
#Waluigi FTW!

Apparently he's not essential enough to be in Smash
and if he ever makes it into Smash you can bet Ness
will be there to teach him a lesson  ;D

Date: 2018-07-16 22:13:40
I bet he would use his tennis racket to reflect all Ness PK Fire spammers!
BTW don't take this to seriously as this is a kind of silly argument.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-17 03:32:27
Well, I didn't have time to play the game a lot, but it was really enjoyable, fast-paced, and diverse (from what I saw, at least.)

Zelda kicks ass, too.

Date: 2018-07-18 00:07:34

Also BTW Missing? No! where do you hold these tournaments? Maybe I would come with my dad because we both love playing SSB 4 together.

I run tournaments in the Seattle area. Locals every other Friday and then Seattle's biggest Smash 4 major (Port Priority) on a bi-annual basis. Maybe you've watched or heard of it before.

Also after some careful thought, I want to play ROB, Rosa, Snake, Inkling, and Marth when this game comes out. Gonna stay up all night grinding lol.