Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Religion - Page 2

Re: Religion

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2009-05-01 19:14:27

Atheists can be just as violent as religious people, so I decided to be tolerant and go with agnostic. I don't have the will to actively worship a deity like God or cause (i.e. enlightenment). However, I do attend Passover and Hannukah (Passover=crazy good horseradish & matzo balls, Hannukah=more presents to supplement secular Christmas).

seems kinda greedy and selfish…and downright wrong.

And its also the American way, so fuck it.
But really, that's what all of these religious holidays have become, Americanized. The religious meaning is there if you look for it but most people don't. Its a time for a family to get together, to spend time together, and they follow all of the traditions that go with the holiday. Christmas gifts are given every year but, I'm willing to bet, very few American realize or care that the idea behind the gifts was to remember the wise men bringing gifts to baby Jesus. So its not downright wrong, its simply American. [size=1]If your going to argue that the American way if screwed up, then have fun[/size]

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-01 20:08:36

Atheists can be just as violent as religious people, so I decided to be tolerant and go with agnostic. I don't have the will to actively worship a deity like God or cause (i.e. enlightenment). However, I do attend Passover and Hannukah (Passover=crazy good horseradish & matzo balls, Hannukah=more presents to supplement secular Christmas).

seems kinda greedy and selfish…and downright wrong.

And its also the American way, so fuck it.
But really, that's what all of these religious holidays have become, Americanized. The religious meaning is there if you look for it but most people don't. Its a time for a family to get together, to spend time together, and they follow all of the traditions that go with the holiday. Christmas gifts are given every year but, I'm willing to bet, very few American realize or care that the idea behind the gifts was to remember the wise men bringing gifts to baby Jesus. So its not downright wrong, its simply American. [size=1]If your going to argue that the American way if screwed up, then have fun[/size]

I'll admit to it! I DON'T CARE! Btw, Raptor Jesus (don't ask, it seems to be some really stupid internet meme going around. Basically it is a picture of Jesus with a photoshopped Jurassic Park Raptor Head pasted on it)

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2009-05-01 21:27:35

The types of Christians that bother me are the kinds that don't understand and refusal to accept that some people are different. They think that humanity should be perfect and all those who aren't perfect like them shouldn't have the right to exist. This kind of Hatred towards individuals, while not illegal, often causes other groups to attack them for their stupidity.

I think that those people are not really true Christians. Actual Christians like me, are sort of opposite: We face the reality that nobody is perfect. But we care about people who do not realize that, instead of saying they suck. That's because we want to set a good example and lead them to knowing God's love and Christ's sacrifice on the cross. That's what we believe.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-05-01 22:19:06
I am an atheist.

Religions don't appeal to me. Sure, maybe someone can try to make the case for an "ultimate being" greater than us, but is it the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God, Zeus, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Certainly not all of them can be true, so in using Occam's razor ("one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed") I take the easy path and decide that none of them are. Being an atheist allows me greater freedom in what morals I do choose to uphold and allows me to use my own logic to decide which ones are baseless (instead of relying on some preacher to tell me that homosexuality is wrong, for example, I use my own reasoning and decide that since it does not affect me in the least, I shouldn't have a problem with it).

For the record, it is quite possible to be moral without believing in any sort of religion.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-05-05 15:16:10
I do believe that religion provides something that atheism does not - a friend. Sometimes you need a friend, and religion provides one ready made so that you don't have to find one in times of need. Sure, it's more logical to accept that the friend is yourself, but religion gives you an almighty, divine friend (and who can pass up that?)

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-05-06 00:11:34
I consider myself an atheist because there's enough evidence and theories to make it seem like the Universe doesn't need a god. Evolution created humans, dust created after the Big Bang created the Earth and many other things, energy make up the particles that make up everything.

Some might question where the Universe came from if nobody created it, but I question, where did your god or gods come from?

I also feel that if a god does exist, we, humanity and life, are that god. We have the power to create, to destroy, to change, to save lives, even potentially stop another 9/11. Would a god stop another 9/11? With what happened last time, it seems not. But we can, and according to what most people think are virtues, that seems to make us superior to gods, if we can just manage to do so. (In the most humane way possible, of course. I think torture doesn't work well and is against my "nonexistent atheist morals".)

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-05-06 00:47:12

I do believe that religion provides something that atheism does not - a friend.

So basically all of the religious wars are over whose imaginary friend is the best imaginary friend?

Edit:… even though the big three monotheistic religions are built around the same God? Maybe then it's just something like
"He likes me more!"
"No, He likes me more!"

Religion's a pretty funny lolcow at times

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-05-06 03:40:24
I believe in the Olympian gods and it would be extremely difficult to explain why, and I wouldn't bullshit my explination if I did (cant vote cause im on mobile phone)

Date: 2009-05-07 14:59:56

I believe in the Olympian gods and it would be extremely difficult to explain why, and I wouldn't bullshit my explination if I did (cant vote cause im on mobile phone)

Have you been smoking shit again Papadoc? XD Still its cool that there is actually still someone out there who believes in them. Nothing beats those gods. They're  classics!=P

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-05-07 15:29:41
What about them Egyptian Gods?

Date: 2009-05-07 17:17:20
The Yugioh cards or the real thing(s)? Either way lol. (More so if you mean the yugioh cards.)

Date: 2009-05-07 18:10:17

Have you been smoking shit again Papadoc? XD Still its cool that there is actually still someone out there who believes in them. Nothing beats those gods. They're  classics!=P

Yeah but that's not the reason why I believe in them.

Date: 2009-05-09 18:57:56

The Yugioh cards or the real thing(s)? Either way lol. (More so if you mean the yugioh cards.)

I don't much about Yu Gi Oh but I can
assume the Yu Gi Oh ones are based off
the real ones since YGO is just a cartoon(or
anime, whatever you wanna call it)

Posted by: Glitchby
Date: 2009-06-04 11:17:34
I believe that people who realize all people are either ignorant, stupid, hypocritical, or a combination of those are inherently better than people who don't.

But so far that's just me.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2009-06-04 12:41:34

I believe that people who realize all people are either ignorant, stupid, hypocritical, or a combination of those are inherently better than people who don't.

But so far that's just me.

By saying everyone is ignorant and stupid, your including yourself. So even if you realize everyone is a moron, your part of everyone, making yourself a moron, therefor making yourself no better then anyone else. So by saying your smarter then everyone then saying everyone is a moron, thus making you a moron, your logic becomes hypocritical.
[size=1]Yes, I understand that hypocritical doesn't really fit there. I'm just trying to make a comedic point. And anyway, you should understand my meaning. [/size]