Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Religion - Page 4

Re: Religion

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-12-31 15:32:21
Update: I'm atheist now :|

Posted by: GlitchHunterFletch
Date: 2016-01-11 03:44:16
Where is the cult of MissingNo. ?

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2016-01-11 03:59:30
It's under "Other religion", like the true path of life Madokaism.

(I suppose now that I've edited the poll to make it so you can change your vote some would argue that I might as well add those ones in there, but eh)

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2017-02-06 19:14:13
Non-Denominational Christian here. Debate me.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2017-02-06 20:10:20
Does Dipshitism count?

Posted by: Unused Trainer
Date: 2017-02-07 06:19:40
Atheist.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-02-08 00:54:22
Pastafarianist. I do not believe in any God nor god, but I respect and accept those who do.
Unless they feel superior/want advantages because "my God is better than your God", in which case I dont give 'em a single ounce of respect.

Posted by: Cryo
Date: 2017-02-08 09:10:37
Heh, I was actually raised half-Baptist and half-Catholic.

My grandparents on my father's side took me to a Baptist church whenever they had custody of me, while my mother's side took me to a Catholic church. I honestly preferred going to the Catholic church, since everyone seemed much more humble and the music from the pipe organ was absolutely incredible. My father's side also made me go to "vacation bible school" and "sunday school" at the Baptist church, so that may have some influence on my then-unwillingness to identify as a Baptist. So I guess I held mostly Catholic beliefs up until I was a teenager.

After a while, I drifted into agnosticism and later atheism, but decided to give Wicca an honest chance during my mid-late teens. That may have been my favorite and most personally relatable belief system as far as the existence of deities go. The respect for nature and respect for others' beliefs and feelings were really something I could get behind, as well as the details of their core moral principles (the "Wiccan Rede").

The most notable parts that I still hold today are the threefold law and the ending of the Rede, which both respectively read:

[tt]Mind the Three-fold Laws you should,
Three times bad and three times good.[/tt]

and

[tt]These eight words the Rede fulfill:
An it harm none, do what ye will.[/tt]

The "threefold law"that any positive or negative energy you put into the world will be returned to you threefoldis something I see more as a karma system than anything, while the ending of the Rede allows for full personal freedom to do whatever you wish, so long as you don't bring harm to anyone or anything.

As of now though, I'm agnostic. I don't really hold theistic beliefs or perform theistic practices, but there's always a possibility that a deity does in fact exist.

Also, here's some fun food for thought:

There's no doubt that, especially when compared to the past 4-5 decades, recent technological advancements and resources have led us to a near-asymptotic increase in our own technological capabilities. If that asymptotic trend continues, then we may very well be able to further engineer our AI possibilities to astronomical levels, such as fully emulating a human brain or even emulating multiple people with fully-working brains at once.

Now, going a bit further than that, say we were to able to fully emulate not only a group of people, but an entire planet of people, or an entire galaxy of planets of people, or even an entire universe itself. If we reach that point in our technological capabilities, then what are the chances of us being the first to ever perform such a feat? Who's to say that we're not simply the product of our own creationthat our evolution is simply an observed environment being watched over by the programmers of our universe who were able to achieve the same thing? Or that the "speed of light" is simply a restriction placed upon the universe's variables by our own creators?

If we were truly able to achieve that level of technological advancement, then the inhabitants of our artificial universe wouldn't just be mindless data points; they'd have fully-working brains and subsequently would have the ability to utilize logic and reason, as well as be cognizant of their own consciousness. Would they, too, have these same thoughts?

I don't really care about all of that, since that's also a very real possibility alongside theistic beliefs, but I love playing devil's advocate sometimes. As long as I can have fun, glitch the heck out of some Pokemon, and not be a dick to other people, then that's all that matters in my book. ;)

Posted by: Unused Trainer
Date: 2017-02-09 03:01:16
Stephen Hawking has confirmed: the existence of god us matematically impossibile.

Date: 2017-07-19 23:40:24
The existence of a God cannot be proven or dis-proven. You cannot prove that there is a flying megatron outside of space time which created the universe. It's simply not possible.

You trust the chemicals in your brain to tell you that they are chemicals. Everything you observe and believe in are based on faith.

Posted by: natanelho
Date: 2017-07-22 10:24:51
I believe we cant know if we are in a "base reality", in other words, a non simulation world, or if there is a world outside this one. I cant go outside this existence by my own will, therefore it doesnt matter if I believe in it or not as it has no implications. therefore I believe we are in a base reality, that gods are fake and made-up by mortal minds as it is the simplest explanation to what we see and feel. someone who devotes his life to a religion is just wasting his time… but I dont hate ones who do. unless they make some stupid ass shit decisions that can affect me and others who arent in that religion in a negative way… in such case I wont shut up. but that's how I react with other groups, not only religious ones

Posted by: natanelho
Date: 2017-07-23 01:40:07

I believe we cant know if we are in a "base reality", in other words, a non simulation world, or if there is a world outside this one. I cant go outside this existence by my own will, therefore it doesnt matter if I believe in it or not as it has no implications.

I agree with this, and I think God (if God exists) will always love us unconditionally.

therefore I believe we are in a base reality, that gods are fake and made-up by mortal minds as it is the simplest explanation to what we see and feel. someone who devotes his life to a religion is just wasting his time… but I dont hate ones who do. unless they make some stupid ass s**t decisions that can affect me and others who arent in that religion in a negative way… in such case I wont shut up. but that's how I react with other groups, not only religious ones

I relate with this too. I find dogma is fine as long as you don't try to force your view on others and remember to treat people with love and respect. I really dislike that and also religious extremism. In my view you risk not living in God at all and also risk falling to narrow-minded thinking or segregating those who don't believe in your views.

I relate to Christianity though in various ways. My favourite parable is that a good shepherd opens the door by the gate, if you go in by the fence you could scare the sheep and doing that in general is disrepectful (the quote goes on to say that those who go in by the fence are by figures of speech a "burglar"). Therefore we treat others with respect, also be humble and also if you ever meet with someone with ideals that you don't believe in, you go in their shoes, acknowledge their ideals and treat them with fairly.

I also relate to Jesus' saying that he is there so "the blind will see" and "those who see will become blind". This could be interpreted to mean that at times we are caught in an issue such as low mood and 'don't see the light', but God/Jesus will make us understand the issue with greater insight and forgive ourselves and/or others.

Those who see will become blind at a first glance sounds bad, but it means that sometimes in life we have received our comfort but will eventually lose it. It is believed this is needed in Christianity because in God's view those who become proud risk developing qualities such as arrogance, selfishness, being judgemental, discriminating or segregative, condescending.
This is also links into a saying that God chose wisdom in the world to fool the wise, like how in science we have many times changed our paradigms to better fit new discoveries. It also humbles the spirit for things to be this way and strengthens our unconditional love.

Though this is not in Christianity, I feel this also similar to the spiritual law of balance and polarity. If you feel an extreme emotion (such as a keen enthusiasm in something or depression) or are even in an extreme situation (like being a slave), you must at some point have experienced the opposite situation (even if you were a slave but became a dictator in another life) to complete our understanding of the experience.

I'm going to be assertive though in saying I disagree however with some parts of the Bible, in particular the views the homosexuality is immoral (the Bible says they will not "inherit the kingdom of God"), as well as (actual quote) "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this." and this one is obscure but there is also a verse along the lines that women should be submissive as Eve ate the fruit! In my view that is just sexism disguised as an archetype. Sadly I can no longer find the last one.

This is personally why I stopped believing in fundamental Christianity and became agnostic. But I wish people of all religions could transcend to a place in which their ideals are met without hurting other people.

I personally believe the meaning of life is simply to strengthen love through hardship (in fact we could have eternal love but if you had something to compare it with like yin/yang the feeling would become stronger), but I still assert that I know nothing about God.

that's a pov of someone I would respect. people who say they believe in every word written in the holy book are not very smart most of the time, they either dont read or dont understand it and say they do. I mean, the book (most of them) is super old, most of it needs an interpretation because it holds more then one meaning depending on how you interpret it, and not everybody can interpret it however they want- only the big people can and you have to accept it… you cant get a huge book with tons of stuff and which is old and say you agree with all of it… times change, and so is society…

Date: 2017-07-23 09:28:41

I'm going to be assertive though in saying I disagree however with some parts of the Bible, in particular the views the homosexuality is immoral (the Bible says they will not "inherit the kingdom of God"), as well as (actual quote) "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this." and this one is obscure but there is also a verse along the lines that women should be submissive as Eve ate the fruit! In my view that is just sexism disguised as an archetype. Sadly I can no longer find the last one.

Except this isn't necessarily true. Christianity in general is commonly associated with the same rules of Catholicism where every rule and statement in the bible is followed and acknowledged. However, this is not the case. There are different sects of Christianity. Christ acknowledged that the Old Testament was pharisee law bullshit for the most part. Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. (Matthew 5:1718) The Old Testament was fulfilled by Christ, so the concept of Christianity is to love Christ, and to accept he is your Lord and Savior.

This is at least the Protestant view of this, as I cannot fully explain something from which I don't understand, (other christian sects).

tldr; the old testament is not neccesary to follow and was called out as bullshit by christ

Date: 2017-08-05 18:26:59

I see. Yeah, there are different sects/ways to interpret it. :)

I feel we live in a more accepting society nowadays that isn't as strict regarding ways of life. For what it's worth this dilemma is known as apostasy (also in a negative sense referred to as "falling away"), which means some of the Bible's original laws/principles are abandoned.

Because people interpret the Bible differently with it's translations. It's not interpretations, which is contrary to popular belief. Different denominations have different translations of the book. I'd say KJV is the best, but in KJV's translation it says that Peter is not the first Pope.

Protestants believe that the KJV, (their translation), proves that which we are not to 100% follow the old testament. Sola fide, sola scriptura.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-01-10 10:58:34
Ok well I'm a christian and the reason it would be logical in my eyes that God exist and is the one and only true God is because one he is the only God that loves everyone otherwise if any other god existed but hated some people than wouldn't we all be dead? Also if you need physical proof there is the relics that would prove the events in the Bible. I don't know a while lot about different religions but God just seems so real to me. I've read about different ancient beliefs like Zeus and stuff but they are just so weird to me like if their "gods" and immortal than why wouldn't they just blast the people they don't like out of existence? Also why can they be wounded and than just run away from a battle when they are supposed to be immortal? I like logic and they are not logical. Also people think well why doesn't God just get rid of sin forever and the reason as I see it is that God doesn't want to do that because that would be like forcing us to do good and we wouldn't have a choice and he wants us to choose the right way for ourselves so that we can probe that we are capable of making the right choices in life. Its sad that this country was founded on the ways of God and now look at us, I mean we're legalizing Marijuana something that can hurt you and your life! I think that if Trump really wants to make America great again than he should stop being racist and bring back the laws that were supposed to keep people safe from their own sins. Everybody is a child of God and God loves everyone in the while world as we are all his children and he is our father. He loves everyone even the people who have commited great sins for he loves them but he does not love their sins just like a father loves his son even though his son got into does trouble. All you would ever need to do is to repent to God for your sins and stop doing that sin and he will forgive you no matter how bad it is. I would recommend getting all the details out of a Bible than just going on what I've said because there is much more to it and nobody is perfect Christian or Not. If you have read through this while post than I thank you and may you have learned that God loves you.