Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Religion - Page 5

Re: Religion

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-01-10 13:25:28
Personally, I'm an atheist. I never bought into the idea of a higher power.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-01-10 22:15:42

Ok well I'm a christian and the reason it would be logical in my eyes that God exist and is the one and only true God is because one he is the only God that loves everyone otherwise if any other god existed but hated some people than wouldn't we all be dead? Also if you need physical proof there is the relics that would prove the events in the Bible. I don't know a while lot about different religions but God just seems so real to me. I've read about different ancient beliefs like Zeus and stuff but they are just so weird to me like if their "gods" and immortal than why wouldn't they just blast the people they don't like out of existence? Also why can they be wounded and than just run away from a battle when they are supposed to be immortal? I like logic and they are not logical. Also people think well why doesn't God just get rid of sin forever and the reason as I see it is that God doesn't want to do that because that would be like forcing us to do good and we wouldn't have a choice and he wants us to choose the right way for ourselves so that we can probe that we are capable of making the right choices in life. Its sad that this country was founded on the ways of God and now look at us, I mean we're legalizing Marijuana something that can hurt you and your life! I think that if Trump really wants to make America great again than he should stop being racist and bring back the laws that were supposed to keep people safe from their own sins. Everybody is a child of God and God loves everyone in the while world as we are all his children and he is our father. He loves everyone even the people who have commited great sins for he loves them but he does not love their sins just like a father loves his son even though his son got into does trouble. All you would ever need to do is to repent to God for your sins and stop doing that sin and he will forgive you no matter how bad it is. I would recommend getting all the details out of a Bible than just going on what I've said because there is much more to it and nobody is perfect Christian or Not. If you have read through this while post than I thank you and may you have learned that God loves you.
How many people have directly died because of weed? 0, according to NBC. And if God doesn't want to harm anyone, why not just make those that sin not exist, or do the sams to non-believers? Oh, and the Greek wounded-god things: The gods were woundable because those that harmed them were harnessing one or another god's powers to do so, or there was a flaw in a minor god (Achilles being the most common example). I know you recommend reading the Bible to get the full Christian picture, but if you're reading the King James Version, the New International Version and a variety of others, you're reading a copy of the Bible that has been tampered with for the purpose of pushing a personal agenda of a dead King (King James, funnily enough) on his subjects.

Cheers, man.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-01-11 15:28:43
I wasn't talking about death by weed but losing your God given mind when you smoke it.

Date: 2018-01-11 15:34:32
Also sorry if it sounds like I'm putting other religion down but I'm not trying to be rude it is just how I see it.  If your looking for the real Bible then you could technically just learn whatever language the original is in and read it like that but I feel the NIV gets the idea through.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2018-01-11 16:30:13
Atheist here.

I wasn't talking about death by weed but losing your God given mind when you smoke it.

I liked Reefer Madness too, but weed doesn't make you "lose your mind." You may, however, become a menace to a bag of Cheetos and have the strange desire to listen to the band Phish.

On second thought…

Date: 2018-01-11 18:40:54
goddammit Bert why you gotta brighten up my day like this

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2018-01-24 22:38:51

Because people interpret the Bible differently with it's translations. It's not interpretations, which is contrary to popular belief. Different denominations have different translations of the book. I'd say KJV is the best, but in KJV's translation it says that Peter is not the first Pope.

Protestants believe that the KJV, (their translation), proves that which we are not to 100% follow the old testament. Sola fide, sola scriptura.

This is, uh, not very accurate. Yes, there are different translations of the Bible (that differ both in interpretation and in what source texts are considered canonical), but these do not generally align to denomination. There is a Catholic Bible, but its primary distinction is in which source texts it considers authoritative, not (primarily at least) how its translated. That Bible doesnt say Peter is the first pope eitherits all in how they interpret Jesuss on this rock statement, which exists in the KJV also.

Catholics hold to the Old Testament roughly to the extent that Protestants do: which is to say, somewhat inconsistently, but they dont throw it out completely. (Can you think of a Protestant who doesnt practically venerate the Ten Commandments?)

It is true that Catholics do not believe in sola scriptura, which is a significant difference. I would be careful about attributing things to Protestants as a whole, though, as there is a huge variety in practice and thought.

Date: 2018-01-25 06:36:14

Because people interpret the Bible differently with it's translations. It's not interpretations, which is contrary to popular belief. Different denominations have different translations of the book. I'd say KJV is the best, but in KJV's translation it says that Peter is not the first Pope.

Protestants believe that the KJV, (their translation), proves that which we are not to 100% follow the old testament. Sola fide, sola scriptura.

This is, uh, not very accurate. Yes, there are different translations of the Bible (that differ both in interpretation and in what source texts are considered canonical), but these do not generally align to denomination. There is a Catholic Bible, but its primary distinction is in which source texts it considers authoritative, not (primarily at least) how its translated. That Bible doesnt say Peter is the first pope eitherits all in how they interpret Jesuss on this rock statement, which exists in the KJV also.

Catholics hold to the Old Testament roughly to the extent that Protestants do: which is to say, somewhat inconsistently, but they dont throw it out completely. (Can you think of a Protestant who doesnt practically venerate the Ten Commandments?)

It is true that Catholics do not believe in sola scriptura, which is a significant difference. I would be careful about attributing things to Protestants as a whole, though, as there is a huge variety in practice and thought.
neither of you are gonna bring up why the KJV exists in the first place?

Date: 2018-01-25 18:28:32

What, that King James had an agenda? Of course he did.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2018-04-06 20:48:45
Atheism implies white noise empiricism. Technically, Charles Darwin was correct, but if quantum suicide is true, then evolution happened along a line of NP noise rather than true randomness.

Black people and especially Asian people usually notice that the Universe organizes itself to keep itself consistent.

Also, Mohammad was an anarchist(?)

What, that King James had an agenda? Of course he did.

all I know is that the English language gobbles up every single other language in existence

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2018-04-27 02:34:54

Atheism implies white noise empiricism. Technically, Charles Darwin was correct, but if quantum suicide is true, then evolution happened along a line of NP noise rather than true randomness.

That sounds interesting. What does NP in NP noise stand for?

Nondeterministic polynomial, as in nondeterministic polynomial algorithms that execute in polynomial time by taking all branches simultaneously on a nondeterministic Turing machine. NP calculations decide what result the wavefunction will take.

When I was at college in Denver, a meth dealer left some graffiti on some raised concrete underneath a bridge that said, paraphrased, "P is only logic that describes how to get from point A to point B. NP is thoughts, feelings, and emotions as we branch all over future timelines." I think they implied that animals and other things were included too, or I was feeling slightly elated otherwise. Then for a while after that, every time I walked back to the dorms, there was a long line of moving train cars to block my way. I'm pretty sure the security cameras noticed I was the train girl. :D

The logic of quantum suicide is based on the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. I like to say we live in the NP universe rather than the white noise universe. I think my favorite example of witnessing quantum mechanics (although I've witnessed it over 9000 times, AI bahahahahaha) is seeing waves in a bog affected by my behaviors – even my thoughts. There was a sin wave-shaped crack or carving in the log leaning across the bog onto the tree in the center that I was sitting on.

By the way, um. Grandfa ther clocks teach quantum suicide. Belief in the NP universe ended with neoclassicism in the mid-18th century – I guess that began because of marine chronometers? Before that the world was in sync with pendulum clocks. Pi-rates.

Date: 2018-05-28 20:27:42
You know? Look at all these complicated terms and the complex way the universe is. I'm right in saying atheist believe in a "Big Bang" right? Well I am right then that leaves you to wonder a few points.
1. How did a random giant super nova accidentally make the world perfect. Perfect not in good or bad I mean. I mean the way things work and the complexity of creation it self. How did a random point in space just accidentally make all the things that work in such a specific way.
2. If there was a super nova that created most of the universe such as life on Earth, what created the supernova? What created what ever already existed before the super nova? I just find it as a incomplete excuse to diss God.

Also just as proof of the existence of God and Jesus you have an incredible amount of evidence. One is the fact that many religions believe in the worldwide flood though their versions are twisted. Something that the bible believes in as well. Also you have a big amount of facts pointing to what Jesus did. Relics and artifacts that prove his existence are everywhere. You can even estimate the age of the Earth because of trees that began their growth after the flood. It's not the crazy numbers scientists believe. It's all just Satan trying to pull us away from God. Making up thousand of twisted version of the truth. Ever wonder why a lot of other religions have similarities to the Gospel? Well that's why. And just because someone's a Christian doesn't mean they have to only do boring media and  stuff. I'm a Christian obviously and guess what? I'm not perfect either! I watch Markiplier who swears a lot. I like horrors a bit. I have watched  good bunch of movies with gore or swearing. But I still love God. That doesn't make those things right either though. I'm just trying to say that just because someones a Christian or you were thinking about being a Christian doesn't mean you have to be perfect. And if you're scared that God doesn't love you cause of something you've done, don't worry. He'll forgive you if you mean it and repent.
If you've read this thank you. Please think this over for yourself.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-05-29 09:41:31
There's another theory that makes more sense, at least imo: the universe has always existed, and always will; at some point, it starts collapsing on itself due to gravity, and when it's as condensed as it can (there's a hard limit to matter density), then it bounces back, and starts anew.

The universe exists because it can, and there has never been any creation – it has always existed, and always will.
Infinity's a pretty cool concept :D

Also, there's no proof that God exists, and no proof that it exists either. Same with Jesus etc. Thus, it's to each to choose whether to believe or not, but there's no hard truth. It can be debated whether this or that is proof or not, but what it unacceptable is people forcing others to follow their beliefs just "because they're right". Or anything like that.

Date: 2018-05-30 11:04:14

Also, there's no proof that God exists, and no proof that it exists either. Same with Jesus etc.

Theres actually a lot of proof that Jesus exists, enough that his historicity is the mainstream academic view. Though unsurprisingly most nonChristian academics dont believe he was a divine miracle worker or the son of God.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-06-01 01:29:50
What does it mean to say "Jesus existed" though?

If there's some guy whose name was Jesus and was a carpenter with long hair or whatever, but he didn't have divine powers, then he's not really the same Jesus that people were talking about.

The Jesus that had divine powers is what's up for debate here.