Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

HELP ME IMEDIATELY! URGENT! - Page 1

HELP ME IMEDIATELY! URGENT!

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-03-11 15:07:00
Here's my problem:

Last night I was minding my own business getting ready to Pirate Sonic Heroes PC version. Anyways I downloaded a bit torrent and some how ended up with a massive Spyware and virus attack. I don't blame the bit torrent itself for the attack. I blame the website. I used Spybot search and destroy to wipe my computer of issues. Apparently though the issues were greater than I imagined. All the stuff I deleted was back when I restarted the computer today. Not only that but I was searching through task manager and found several EXE files that I knew were viruses. Now all of those stupid viruses are back. The Viruses/Spyware include some stupid microsoft Antivirus XP 2009 that i know is a fraud. My Regiestry including task manager was disabled. All the stuff that happened last night is happening again today. Can anyone help me find an Antivirus software that is free and can delete pesky EXE virus files. Please hurry and help me save this computer. Mozilla Firefox won't display any pages anymore regardless of how many times I press refresh. I'm being forced to use Google Chrome, which while it goes faster than Mozilla, it is ugly as hell. Please help me get rid of all this shit on  my computer. I have a Windows XP Media Center addition.

Re: HELP ME IMEDIATELY! URGENT!

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-03-11 15:25:18
0.o

Try AVG Free free.avg.com

or

ClamAV http://w32.clamav.net/downloads/clamAV.msi

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-03-11 15:31:36
OH GOD BORED LOCKDOWN

TURN YOUR KEY SIR

But seriously, you need to reinstall Windows.  This has happened to me.  I used AVG, Spybot, Norton, Kaspersky, pretty much every antivirus and antimalware program out there, and they all failed.

Date: 2009-03-11 16:12:21
My internet connection is a piece of shit. I need a program that does those things and is under 5 MB.

I absolutely refuse to wipe my entire system and Reinstall windows. There are some very important files that I'm just not willing to sacrifice because My internet connection is a piece of shit and getting them would be as difficult as getting something so rare and valuable that it is only one of a kind but having to toss it off of a cliff to save your life having it destroyed on the rocks below.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-03-11 16:59:40
Shinji, don't post anything about computers, if you don't know anything about them. Reinstailing Windows, isn't going to solve a problem. Avast Anti-Virus, is a good anti-virus programe, it's helped my computer with a worm that got into my PC. What kind of Anti-virus, are you using Glisp?

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-03-11 17:17:22
He doesn't have one, which is why he asked for one.

But yeah, I forgot about Avast, try downloading that
It may take a while due to your connection(which I'm assuming is dial-up?) but in the end it will be worth it.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-03-11 17:25:04
I never said to wipe the computer, just to reinstall Windows.

Date: 2009-03-11 19:28:02
I have a little more computer knowledge Shinji, and it won't help. Glisp, all computers must have an anti-virus other wise, you'll get some serious virus attacks or worm attacks, like Conficker, or MSBlast. Dial-up, is the most useless excuse for Internet. I've used it. If it was possible to send Avast! through MSN? I can sent the system file of Avast, to instail it but I'm not sure if Avast, has any verions for older computers like Windows Media Center addition.

Edit: Okay, forget that idea then. It seems the setup file, for avast!, is too large for GCL to load. Like Doc, said due to the fact dial-up is so shit, it takes hours to download a file. So, I would think that downloading avast, before you go to school/college or whatever, and the time you come back it'll either be half way there, or nearly finished, but in the end it'll be worth it. Avast, is free for 60 days, and is a spyware/antivirus in one, and it's the best so far.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-03-11 20:41:21
You might want to get a Ubuntu install disk, then do the "boot from CD" and then move the valuable files to a flash drive.

Date: 2009-03-11 21:13:34
I said I've been using Sprybot Search and Destroy. It deletes everything except this one file that seems to cause all the other files to respawn. It is some stupid thing that wants me to install an Antivirus. And yes it is a virus/Trojan thingy because Spybot Identified it as Antivirus XP 2009.Fraud
I've had a similar attack from another group trying to force me into buying their stupid product by creating a virus of their own so that people come crying to them.

The last time this happened I had to contact the other group which was (Antivirus 2009) and get an uninstall file from them. It instantly uninstalled the offending problem which was quite odd. There wasn't even an uninstall wizard. It was just BOOM! "Program successfully uninstalled!"

Oh and the problem, while it is related to Dial up and wireless it goes beyond that. The connection will timeout on its own. This causes downloads to come to a halt and never continue again! Sometimes some web browsers will pick up where they left off. Interestingly Internet Explorer is one of them. However not all websites allow one to do this so sometimes I end up starting from the beginning of the download rather than where it stopped before I hit cancel. Annoying as hell. I actually had a stable connection a while back in december for about 2 weeks to a month then the connection went back on the fritz again.

Date: 2009-03-11 21:27:55
Typical useless Broadband tech, these days. I'm serious Avast, is the best one there is. Wait, Antivirus 2009? I've heard about that and a virus/worm causes that. Well, if IE, helps you download things, download avast. It scans all over. I think when this problem is over, next time Glisp, go careful on what you download. I only download software, from a site known as Download.com and I can trust them, since they are spyware free and all of their software, is harmless.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-12 13:34:36
You all fail at AV choices(except spybot… it's a good one, but not the best.). All the ones you guys think are good are bad. Also, that one file was zlob. Anyway, these are the two best AVs.
Avira personal(proof will be given)
Norton.(Again, proof WILL be provided.)

Edit:That antivirus 2009 thing will reinstall it's self in time. It will…
Exspecially if you use system restore.

Date: 2009-03-12 14:38:57
A friend told me how to deal with an Antivirus malware attack and eliminate it completely. Oh and my Norton Antivirus is corrupted fro some reason btw.

He told me to get rid of all the extra shit and reenable Task manager. After that Go into task manager and hunt down the file that won't be deleted because it is active. My other Anti viruses on my computer can only put things in quarintine. It will occasionally activate auto protect to delete the viruses but the viruses are persistant and cause it to freeze up during loading.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-12 15:23:40

A friend told me how to deal with an Antivirus malware attack and eliminate it completely. Oh and my Norton Antivirus is corrupted fro some reason btw.

He told me to get rid of all the extra s**t and reenable Task manager. After that Go into task manager and hunt down the file that won't be deleted because it is active. My other Anti viruses on my computer can only put things in quarintine. It will occasionally activate auto protect to delete the viruses but the viruses are persistant and cause it to freeze up during loading.

That won't exactly work…
Also, still, download avira and scan with it.

Date: 2009-03-12 19:07:43
Fivex, I've been around computers long before you, no doubt and Nortron is shit. My 98 computer had it and that got corrupted, and I couldn't delete it, nor disable it. Avria, is useless. I've used it before it's never found anything wrong when I scanned with Avast anti-virus, it picked up malware. Avast, has had over 17 million downloads, of it's software. Avast gives you online protection as well as anti-virus protection. I'd buy it if I had the money. Something about that Antivirus 2009, reminds me of this virus I was reading a few weeks ago. If I can remember the name, I'll tell you Glisp, on how to safely remove it. System Restore, has heleped my PC, when I kept getting the fatal blue screens of death caused by memory fault/virus attacks. Again, another virus/worm seems to disable important things, like Task manager, and other things. I think Conficker, is only caught if, something about another computer, I'll have to look.