Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Is it possible to restore System Restore? - Page 1

Is it possible to restore System Restore?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-03-21 22:11:51
Okay, I want to know if it's possible to restore System Restore, without having to reinstail Windows XP. A few years back I had a CD that would reinstail Windows, but my first XP was a total ass and it died since it would load but wouldn't go to desktop, so the CD got stuck in the hard drive, that wouldn't open and when the PC was taken away the CD went with it. So, now I'm stuck with a PC that's fucked. It happened when I downloaded Service Pack 3, and it was fine all day. So, I downloaded a song since I'm collecting music from the Silent Hill game soundtracks, that never are released in Europe, only in Japan and America only, so I download my music from LimeWire (it sucks, but it's all I can use, and FrostWire, sucks as well), so I downloaded a song from Silent Hill Origins' OST, and I wanted to make sure it works, so LimeWire's media player wasn't working so I went to the file where all songs are when they are downloaded, and Avast saw no virus, so I went to try and get it to load with Meida Player, it didn't so I thought the damned thing crashed on me as it suddenly closes without warning, from an unknown error, so I restarted the PC, it was fine and Windows Meida Player still wouldn't load so I went to System Restore and in my other screenshot, in "Not normal" topic, it appeared like that. I instailed Advanced SystemCare 3, it's really good it's gotten back some speed/RAM I've lost, and such so I got that AntiSpyware, as I used to use it on my old XP, which didn't help much back then, so all it found was 1 problem that was a tracking cookie (bit fucking whoop) but I had to stop the scan, as it was 5PM over here and  badly needed sleep so, I've downgraded back to Service Pack 2, and it's still the damn same. So, what can I do? (I'm on my laptop right now) Is there away to bring System Restore, back or reinstail Windows? Help, before I smash it. I'm very close into turning my PC into a pile of scrap metal when I'm done with it. I'm sure it has something against me. ??

Re: Is it possible to restore System Restore?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-03-22 00:42:58
Hit the start menu then go to:

All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Then go to system restore settings and uncheck turn off system restore.

Date: 2009-03-22 00:57:59
I did that before, to see if it was disabled, but there's no signs of it being disabled on Drive C, nor Drive E. I know I'm not infected with Conficker, otherwise, other things would be disabled. I swear I really feel like murdering my PC. Ever since I've had it, it's been nothing but a pest. I don't really think it's even possible, to re-download System Restore, since it comes with the system. I've upgraded my parents PC to Service Pack 2, and that is perfectly fine, so what's going on with mine? Their System Restore works, and Media Player, but mine won't. (I swear all the PC's I've owned over the years have had something against me. First it was my 95 (murdered by my mother), then my 98, killed by by a faulty graphics card, then my second 98 dies of system failure, first XP dies from something about the graphics card, and now this.) Besides, I need System Restore to work, so I can go back 5 days before the suddenly "problem" happened. I'm clueless on why it's not working because this has never happened to me before. Other than blue screens of death, system failure, and other things yes, but this nope.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-22 01:10:07
Can you possibly upgrade the desktop to vista?

Date: 2009-03-22 01:37:50
I don't think it's possible, without a CD of some sort. I'm on my PC at the moment, and System Restore, is still the same. Surely there's away to "repair" the System Restore, file? I've scanned it, and there's no harmful viruses/worms/malware/spware, found to cause it to act this way.

Edit: Guys, I got bad bad, news. I just found this on my Drive C:
[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/TeamRocketMutouYami/Conficker.png[/img]

Someone please tell me, that isn't what I think it is I opened the note, and this is what it says:
[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/TeamRocketMutouYami/ConfickerNotes.png[/img]

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-03-22 08:22:29
that looks like a log file for a downadup remover. nothing to worry about

Date: 2009-03-22 08:29:22
*Sighs* I still can't get System Restore, to work and now Windows Search, doesn't work. It'll seem I'll have to get one of my cousins, to come and repair my computer again. ??

Date: 2009-03-22 17:38:01
Do you have a CD burner, of some sort?

Date: 2009-03-22 21:35:47
Nope. I'll just get a new computer, in the Summer. I've had it with this PC, it's a waste of time. It loads so slow, it's insane. AntiSpyware, finds nothing, AVG finds nothing, so I've either got a virus that's undetectable, or my PC is just a complete ass. I've payed out loads of money on this PC, only for it to fuck up again. I'll find a nice PC somewhere, Lunix or Vista, I don't care, as long as it works. Just all my stuff and music, need to be saved, since I've lost over 900 songs on this PC, and I only have a few left.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-03-22 22:19:12
Rather than get a new computer, why not just bite the bullet and try out Linux on your existing computer? Remember, it’s free, and you can run it without affecting your Windows installation with Wubi or a live CD.

If you have a USB drive of some sort (if not I would recommend getting one), you could use it to back up your music anytime.

Date: 2009-03-22 22:25:16
Half of my remaining songs, are on Windows Media Player, but that doesn't work, System Restore, doesn't, and now Windows Search doesn't. My PC is too slow, to do anything with it. I've done all I can with it. It can die for all I care, the damn thing. I don't have a USB Drive, and how would I be able to install Lunix, without a CD? The PC has a habbit of going so slow, and even crashing.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-03-22 22:49:09
Wubi doesn’t require a CD; you can just download and install it. I haven’t ever used it, but several people here have and might be able to help out.

Crashes and slowness are probably results of your Windows installation going bad. If you were to reinstall Windows or try another OS, I suspect your problems would go away.

Date: 2009-03-22 22:57:03
I would reinstall Windows, if I had my CD, but it got stuck in the old hard drive of my first XP, (When MSBlast, was around at the time and was deadly to Windows 2000 and XP systems). I dunno if this problem with Media Player, will have something to do with the Service Pack 3 upgrade. When I had awoken sometime later at night, all day I was on my PC and it was perfectly fine. But Media, wouldn't load so I tried System Restore, and it loads as it does now. There's no sign of Restore, being disabled, I've checked. I heard Lunix, never gets any viruses, but there has been one, but that's about it. I also heard that if you even mess with the system files, of Lunix, it'll crash as in hang forever, and never to work again. Typical rumors, half are never true.

Date: 2009-03-22 23:36:29
Hmm, You need to get a CD drive.
A burner if possible

Date: 2009-03-22 23:51:17
My computer, isn't worth it. Hell, it isn't worthy of the Blue Screens of Death, which no doubt will come back. Last time my PC went this slow, and the crashing, it meant the Blue Screens of Death, were returning. So far, I haven't had one for quite a long time, but my PC is just useless. I still have my laptop, and that is perfectly fine. No trouble with it at all. Every time my PC gets repaired, about a while later problems start again, so it's just not worth it. I'd rather get a new one. Vista, may suck but it's better than nothing. I've payed out so much money over the last 5 to 6 years, I've had my XP computer, and it's just damn right useless, now. It's so violently slow, yet I've removed spyware/junk files, and other crap but it's still so slow. If the BSoD, (Blue Screens of Death) start, then I won't do anything. Yet my PC managed to find a song I've been looking for from the Silent Hill 3 OST, but I'm unsure if a worm/virus is causing my computers troubles, and I don't want to risk an infection on my laptop, if I send the song.