Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Is it possible to restore System Restore? - Page 2

Re: Is it possible to restore System Restore?

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-23 04:01:49
How much ram do you ahve?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-03-23 05:15:15
Not much, I don't think. I've used that Advanced SystemCare3, and it freed up some RAM, but it's still slow as a snail.

Date: 2009-03-23 15:17:30
That's why it's so slow.
Hmm,  I have NO idea if this would work but,
Does your bios have the ability to boot from a usb flash drive?

Date: 2009-03-23 21:12:11
I don't have a clue. It's old, it sucks and it's pissing me off. Besides my PC has been low on RAM, for years and it's only gone this slow when meaning Blue Screens of Death, are returning.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-03-25 15:14:19

I don't have a clue. It's old, it sucks and it's pissing me off. Besides my PC has been low on RAM, for years and it's only gone this slow when meaning Blue Screens of Death, are returning.

I know it has been suggested but I would give linux a try. Especially if all you are doing is surfing the web.
Xfce based environment possibly.

Try Wubi for Ubuntu or Xubuntu. And if you like it… install it!

Xubuntu did wonders for my spare Win98 computer

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-03-25 15:16:55
Conficker.C much?

Microsoft Update is your friend.

All the technical details are in TechNet Bulletin MS06-067.

Date: 2009-03-25 22:35:06
I really don't know what to do with it. I managed to get Avast to install back on Drive C, in Safe Mode, and it found 2 viruses (both the same) and malware, but it keeps saying the Internet is offline, when my parent's PC and my laptop have Internet. *Sighs* I think I'll just get a new PC in the Summer. Great, so now there's a Conficker.C, I have to worry about. I don't know if my PC is infected with Conficker.A. or Conficker.B., as the Internet traffic on my PC is quite slow, but now it won't work.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-03-25 23:10:12
When you boot up, hit F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking.

All 3 flavors of Conficker form botnets.  The effects of .C (connect to the botnet head guy and download an update) suggests there's a .D.

Date: 2009-03-26 02:45:39
And possibly .E if there was more than one update.
And do what Shinji said.
And download something like f-secure blacklite.
Avast doesn't treat rootkits.(It treats everything else… or alot of anything else anyway. It doesn't pick up all the bot's, and that's prety much it. Mayby a little adware, and that's normal.

Date: 2009-03-26 02:55:57
I do know how to enter Safe Mode. I ain't some newbie, at computers. I had this piece of paper, with my Routers, WEP Key, but my mother threw it out and now I can't reset the Internet on to my PC, as it loads but saying no connectivity, or limited. It can find the access point, the card that gives my PC Internet, but I need to reset the PC's connection, to download anything. All though I could have Conficker, on my PC as sometimes I can't get to some sites, saying the connection is interrupted. I was reading about Conficker the other day and it does seem to block sites, well access to them, so it might explain why I can't get here sometimes, it seems fine when I restart Firefox, but I was reading about C, and something is gonna happen on April the 1st, but who knows if Conficker will strike then. *Sighs* Look, all I'm after is help, not information, I already know about getting into Safe Mode, I knew that when I was 8 years old. I need to know if there's away to bring System Restore back to normal, or not. If it's not possible, then I'll save some money up and buy a new PC. At the moment my PC is still very slow, my Internet isn't working on my PC, and System Restore still doesn't load properly. So, either I have to re-install Windows, which I can't do, (no CD, no nothing to save my stuff and song, no Internet connection to my PC), or there's another way to be able to go back a week before I downloaded Service Pack 3.

Date: 2009-03-26 03:18:45
No… I don't think that would most likely be what conficker would result in on blocked sites.
Run F-secure blacklight if you can acess the download(It's somewere on the f-secure site, I can provide a link if you want).

Date: 2009-03-26 04:32:00
Again, my PC has no Internet connection, so using Firefox, or anything Internet related, is a no-go.

Date: 2009-03-26 04:36:19
Buy a SD card and a DS card reader then.
shouldn't cost that much at ALL.
It may also tell you if you have conficker or any other USB worm…

Date: 2009-03-26 04:39:47
There's no point wasting money on a PC, that's just useless. I downloaded that tool, that scans for Conficker, and removes it, but it said before my system was clean and there's no traces of Conficker, but now I don't know. I can't send the file to my PC, through MSN, as my PC can't get a connection. I'll just have to hunt for a new PC sometime in the Summer.

Date: 2009-03-26 04:43:40
It's not just for conficker checking.
Still, getting a SD card reader + SD card is cheaper than a new PC
Like 20(the price of the SD card + reader) dollars or something.