Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Is it possible to restore System Restore? - Page 3

Re: Is it possible to restore System Restore?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-03-26 04:47:44
With this credit crunch, going on over here in the UK, anything could be expensive. I'm gonna try the hard drive, in my PC's spare PC into mine.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-26 04:48:52
That should work.
Don;t expect any sound.

Date: 2009-03-26 04:54:54
I don't know if I have a sound card, in my PC, or I could use the PC, just get the Internet sorted on it, and get the sound working. If not, my PC, will be taking a flying lesson out of my window.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-03-26 12:41:13
Boot into Safe Mode with Networking.
Reset connection (if necessary).
Redownload Service Pack 3 and reinstall.
Rejoice at the fact that your computer is Conficker-free.

Date: 2009-03-26 20:32:21
Conficker, will just re-infect Windows. My parents spare PC, seems to be okay, it's Home Edition Service Pack 2, with shit loads of space, speed, and RAM. It runs Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition, perfectly well, so all I need to do is get the Internet on the spare PC, and find away to get my PC sorted so I can get some of my stuff from there onto the other PC, without getting any trouble, but I don't know if Conficker is attacking my PC, it isn't in a zombie state, yet but it will when I'm through with it. ??

Date: 2009-03-26 20:48:18

Conficker, will just re-infect Windows. My parents spare PC, seems to be okay, it's Home Edition Service Pack 2, with s**t loads of space, speed, and RAM. It runs Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition, perfectly well, so all I need to do is get the Internet on the spare PC, and find away to get my PC sorted so I can get some of my stuff from there onto the other PC, without getting any trouble, but I don't know if Conficker is attacking my PC, it isn't in a zombie state, yet but it will when I'm through with it. ??
It'll be a zombie on April 1st if you didn't know.
If it has conficker anyway.

Date: 2009-03-26 21:00:23
I just really have no idea, what is wrong with it. It's slow, the Internet, won't connect, System Restore doesn't work, so who knows. Something about Conficker, it does something to System Restore, so I'm not sure if Conficker infects, Windows Auto Updates, since mine hasn't been disabled, but as soon as Service Pack 3, was installed, it's been weird since, so it could be either Conficker.A. or Conficker.B., infecting my PC, but until I get my Internet sorted, I can't tell for sure, since Avast can't find Conficker, nor can AVG.

Date: 2009-03-27 00:28:13
It does disable auto updates.
Also, you are definately not infected with A
Extreamly hard to get infected with.
conficker B and C, are a whole other story.

Date: 2009-03-27 00:35:13
Ugh, I've read about both of them and how A. and B. work, but I can't remember the site's name. It showed a picture on how they both work, and what they did, I was gonna post it on here to show others the way on how they work and how to stop 'em, but now C. is a worry, and what will happen on April 1st. I'm glad it isn't today, as it's my parents wedding anniverisary today. C. I'm unsure of what it does, but I really need to find that site, so I can find out on how Conficker.B. works. If I was infected with A., a lot of things would of been disabled, but they haven't. Shit, Conficker.C., will begin checking for a payload to download on April 1, 2009.

Date: 2009-03-27 01:20:30
It won't check for a payload to download, it will turn your computer into a zombie.

Date: 2009-03-27 01:24:36
On how badly slow my PC is, it'll no doubt go into Zombie State. My laptop and other PC are safe, as the other PC in my room has no Internet and hasn't been used in months. Hold on, Conficker can be caused by memory sticks, as in Internet Sticks, I don't think it would infect my card, the access card, that gives off Internet from my router from my broadband.

Date: 2009-03-27 01:38:36
It doesn't infect  internet sticks or whatever you caall them.

And a zombie computer is a computer on a botnet FYI.

Date: 2009-03-27 01:43:40
You sure you are on about Conficker, and not something else? Either Conficker.A, or B., causes the zombie computer. I was reading about USB sticks (as I call them Internet Sticks), that were some sort of trigger to Conficker. I'll try and find it. That bugger, Conficker, it seems to reset System Restore, so it could be why my System Restore, won't work.

Date: 2009-03-27 01:50:54
USB sticks are allways infected if inserted intoa conficker B or C infected machine.
Enabling system and hidden files enables the conficker files to be seen on the USb stick.

Date: 2009-03-27 01:55:44
I do remember watching my Avast, scan and it was searching through the hidden files, they I had kept hidden on my PC. I don't know if they are showing, or not. I'd have to plug in the monitor and mouse, to find out, when I'm back in my room.