Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games

Pokemon GCL Version. - Page 2

Re: Pokemon GCL Version.

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2007-01-18 17:22:28
Yes, I only meant programming. And speaking of programming, where should we start? We'll probably need 3 core engines: one for network interface, one for the map screen/menus, and one for battles. We've already got two nearly-complete battle engines in my Battle Simulator and Abwayax's Glitchbattle, so that isn't a problem. As for the others…

The network interface engine should download the scripts for maps, scenarios, etc.; and it should also link up to GCL's server to allow for multiplayer battles and stuff. It should be pretty straightforward, but I know very little about networks, so Abwayax will have to work on that. And the map screen should be scriptable–that is, we should be able to write scripts in some language to define the locations of objects on a map, the events that occur, the Pok?mon that can be found, etc. If you've ever seen the scripts used by the open-source game Battle for Wesnoth to define scenarios, you have an idea of what I mean. This way, the game will be easily expandable, and even non-programmer members of the team will be able to contribute their ideas for routes, towns, scenarios, etc.

Posted by: pokemon_yellow
Date: 2007-01-18 19:44:52
OK I can help with spriting,just tell mewhen you need me.
haha we should make a fake cartridge,though this is a rom.isnt it? XD

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-01-18 20:39:08
As far as battle goes - I think it makes more sense to use Ace's battle simulator as the battle engine rather than my Glitchbattle, if the object is to make it D/P compatible. Glitchbattle aims towards R/B/Y compatibility.
Networking is fairly simple, actually. It's pretty straightforward in Java to do HTTP downloads and such. Multiplayer is one of the two components of the "Prismos" engine I'm writing.
The map/menu interface is the other side of "Prismos". I have a map format defined already, as well as formats for tilesets and object sprites. All tiles and sprites are 16x16. This means we can't simply use the R/S trainer sprites, etc (they're like 16x19 iirc) So far I've been able to draw a test map and then draw the hero sprite on top of it, and the player can move the hero around. Basic collision-detection is implemented, meaning that the engine checks to see that the tile in front of the hero is passable before moving the player there. The hero sprite lacks a moving animation, and this isn't that big of a priority for me. The next thing on my list as far as the "Prismos" map engine is the drawing of NPC objects and hero-object interaction (pressing the action button whilst facing an object).

Scripting is a big thing for me - as you'd know in Glitchbattle I made it so that effects are scriptable and such, etc etc. Which means we need to come to an agreement on what scripting language to use. Glitchbattle itself uses Beanshell, however I was wondering what most of the people here would be comfortable with. I'm looking at Jython, the Java implementation of Python, because I know Ace likes (or once liked) Python and it'll give me a reason to learn it :P

Edit: Here's a sample map I made.

Date: 2007-01-18 22:54:20
I still like Python, so using Jython seems like an excellent idea. Python is a very powerful language, although it's somewhat slow and the syntax is unusual. Also, I know a good bit about graphical programming in Java, so I could probably make your engine able to use sprites that are larger than their containing tiles, as well as add moving sprites and such.

We're going to need a board for development for this thing so that we can post the source code to the project's various parts in a place where normal users can't access it. Give me the OK and I'll make one…or you can.

OK I can help with spriting,just tell mewhen you need me.
haha we should make a fake cartridge,though this is a rom.isnt it? XD

It's not a ROM. We kind of did away with that idea. But a fake cartridge would at least be a neat thing to have, although I can't see us using it anywhere.

Date: 2007-01-18 23:12:10
I've given the OK. I'll establish the board now.

Date: 2007-01-18 23:25:34
I've established the board. All Admins can see it (this is an SMF thing, I can't change it), and I've established a special group for non-admins.

I'm using the code-name "Prismos" to refer to the entire engine (the map engine + network engine + battle engine, which will probably be yours because of reasons I've stated before), and "GCL Version" to refer to the actual game (plot, story, character-wise, etc) being implemented on top of the engine. I'm keeping the core engine and the actual game itself separate because it would be easier to re-use the Prismos engine if anyone else here felt like developing their own fan-game.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-01-19 12:19:56
Yes, I only meant programming.

Yeah, I know. It was a joke.

Anyway it sound very good.

I could learn programming languages, if needed. Most are base English so I just need to learn the programming style. I am not programming illiterate I just don't know Java/Python… Yet

And
But a fake cartridge would at least be a neat thing to have, although I can't see us using it anywhere.

We could use it as the link to the game….?

and I am sorry that I point out things you say ACE. ;)

Date: 2007-01-19 17:08:33
I've given you access to the development forum, Newo.

It's a subforum under the "Video Games" board in the Creative Movements category. ACE, if you think it's too obscure please feel free to move it somewhere else.

Posted by: pokemon_yellow
Date: 2007-01-20 22:54:54
Yes i agree with Newo.What a cool link XD

Date: 2007-01-21 00:03:24
This scripting language looks interesting… I was originally going to use it for the scripting elements of the program, and now I'm torn between it and Jython. >:(

Date: 2007-01-21 09:36:28
Well, Python is easier to larn than Perl IMO. I've never really learned much Perl; I tried once and just wasn't very interested in it. But if you think that Sleep will integrate batter then Jython, we can use it. I can always learn…

Date: 2007-01-21 14:51:50
Me, I'm a big PHP user, and Perl (and therefore Sleep) has great similarity to PHP.

I suppose we can somehow make it per-map (i.e. designate what scripting engine should be used to react to events per-map)

Date: 2007-01-21 15:23:54
Would it be possible to make forums' Variables to apply to the game.
Eg. Money being the same on Forums and game
Name

Date: 2007-01-21 15:40:11
Are you thinking of the GlitchBattle-integrated RPG?

Users' money and items, etc etc, are used in that game, which will be tightly integrated with the forums. As far as I know, this is a different project.

Date: 2007-01-21 15:46:29
???Sometimes I don't know what I am thinking???

Sorry you may be right there
I fogot what that post was about

[Confused]