Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games

Pokemon GCL Version. - Page 3

Re: Pokemon GCL Version.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-01-21 16:15:54
Warps and Scripting have been added to the map engine. The event-scripting is indeed done in Python, and map-objects can be manipulated through name with methods like destroy() and move(). Example:
def EnigmaGrunt11_onAction():
EnigmaGrunt11.move('right')
print 'The Gnome Council demands scones!'
Obstruction.destroy()

which, when EnigmaGrunt11 is contacted by the player (the player presses the action key while facing him), moves EnigmaGrunt11 right one space, prints "The Gnome Council demands scones!" to the console output, and destroys (removes from the map) the object called "Obstruction", which might be a door or some such thing blocking the player.

Warps are pretty straightforward - when the player lands on a tile that has a warp located on it, the player is moved to another map and placed in another tile on that map.

Edit: Sprites can now be taller than 16px.

Posted by: jacob and drew glitchmast
Date: 2007-01-22 14:54:22
can i help with spriting ???

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2007-01-22 15:53:38
This sounds like it's coming along great. Sorry I haven't been able to help much; I've been busy with my 16th birthday, which was this weekend. (I got a Wii! Yay!) I'm working on making an 0.5 release of my Battle Simulator which will support EXP gain and leveling up. Although the Battle Simulator itself doesn't need those features, the integration of it with the Prismos engine will. Once I finish that, I'll post the source code for it on the hidden board for the game.

Date: 2007-01-22 16:44:59
Happy birthday.

Should I focus on adding overworld sprite animations before posting the map code?

Date: 2007-01-22 22:02:15
Yes, definitely. It's good to add as much functionality as possible to one part before integrating it with the others; otherwise you'll find when you want to update it that the code you want to alter is being used in so many other places that altering it is impossible without breaking the program. So by all means add whatever features you want it to have before posting the code.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-01-23 12:28:15

can i help with spriting ???

Yeah! Why not!

And………Happy birthday ACE! :D

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-01-24 20:36:09
I wouldn't be able to do anything related with programming (How useful would Visual Basic be for this?) but I can do the text.

Date: 2007-01-24 21:24:42

I wouldn't be able to do anything related with programming (How useful would Visual Basic be for this?) but I can do the text.
If you like VB, Python should be an easy language to learn. Just read the Tutorial in the online documentation. The game's scripts will be written in Python. And if you want to work on any of the story or maps or sprites, feel free to do so. I don't think we have any story people yet.

Date: 2007-01-24 22:40:10
And here I was about to use my custom-made VBScript-like language I was developing!

It sucks, anyway. I haven't even implemented for loops or if statements.

I'm right now implementing walking animations.

Date: 2007-01-25 14:22:26
This animation stuff is a bit harder than I thought. >->

Date: 2007-01-25 22:37:23
As is EXP/leveling up functionality. I haven't even gotten to the programming part yet; I'm still working on writing a new Python script to pull Pok?mon data from sites like Serebii.net and include data like level-up moves, base EXP, EV value, and evolutions. Only this time, I'm going to be a little smarter about how I organize my data: instead of putting all of the Pok?mon in one big file, I'm giving each Pok?mon its own file. This should make the game much faster and easier to expand.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-01-25 23:09:39

Only this time, I'm going to be a little smarter about how I organize my data: instead of putting all of the Pok?mon in one big file, I'm giving each Pok?mon its own file. This should make the game much faster and easier to expand.

That's a real good idea! Also, I'm looking at Python, it seems to be a very good language that I could learn.

Date: 2007-01-25 23:13:00
Python's not a hard language rly, I got the basics down in less than half an hour ;)

Date: 2007-01-25 23:52:05

Python's not a hard language rly, I got the basics down in less than half an hour ;)
It's not hard to learn, just hard to get used to because it breaks some common programming conventions and mechanics. But it's the absolute BEST language for scripting IMO. Anywho, I've almost got my download script working, just need to add in the ability to sort out EV data…

Date: 2007-01-26 02:43:23
Is it absolutely necessary for me to have the walking animations implemented before we can work on tying the components together and all?