Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Studies on the possibility of getting ????? in G/S/C - Page 4

Re: Studies on the possibility of getting ????? in G/S/C

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-02-14 23:55:16
I noticed and even watched Paco's videos. Impressive, but it looks like a game of chance - you have to turn the game off at exactly the right time so that the data is corrupted just enough.

The problem, though, is that the ????? Paco has is 000 - the one with the cloaking ability is 255.

Posted by: Pokeglitch86
Date: 2007-02-17 22:07:57
I don't know if this is known yet but I'll just post it:

1. Clone any pokemon on crystal til the clone turns all glitchy.

2. Select the glitchy clone pokemon if it changes into another pokemon try to change it again and again til it's a ditto.

3. Withdraw the glitchy ditto and put it in the daycare with a regular ditto. The glitchy ditto should have a human oversprite.

4. Wait til they have an egg and hatch it.

5. Now you have ?????.

Note: I forgot if you get the ff ????? from this glitch or not or if it's just random.

Posted by: Papa Doc
Date: 2007-03-01 20:37:05
hhmmm looks like worth a try, ill try it out, have you tested it?
if you haven't then test it. ;)

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-06-15 18:24:28
I think that if you use to many Gameshark codes the ????? appears as a punishment like Bad egg.

Posted by: Wicked Klown
Date: 2007-06-16 05:10:52
We trying to figure out how to obtain it without a cheating device…………didn't you read the thread before posting?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-06-16 15:49:14

I think that if you use to many Gameshark codes the ????? appears as a punishment like Bad egg.

Bad EGG is not a punishment, it is an error message.

Posted by: Chrona
Date: 2007-06-27 20:54:28
I know this is probably old, but I did play around with it. I found that if you try to clone multiple pokemon at once in crystal (Save, deposit 2-5 pokemon at once, hit change box) and just randomly turn it off halfway through the saving process (like when it says Now Saving, Please - you might as well just turn it off there), you'd make a #254 ?? ? ?? (added spaces to stop the ??? emoticon).

From what I can see, cloning multiple pokemon and hitting it off too early just glitches it up completely in crystal

It evolves in one level to a #255, so just Rare Candy it. With it, there is no party limit, though the game screws up in battles and stuff and it won't let you do anything that suggests the amount of pokemon, such as looking at your party, battling, using Move Pokemon and moving into the Party, or hitting Deposit.

Although, it did allow me to heal at the poke-center no matter how many pokemon I had. After the initial first 6 pokeballs on the healing machine, random tiles kept popping up at the top of the screen and going to the side, then down. Rather bizarre, to be honest. I wasn't necessarily trying to do something, just felt like playing around and cloning my Shiny Eevees in mass (and yes, I did rescue the shiny eevee from the cartridge into Silver, no worries =p), and I stumbled upon it. I think it also does some weird evolutions, but I forgot

I'll load Crystal up in VBA sometime and try it out, guess I might try some stuff tonight. Have to actually get somewhere though, so whatever. I'll post more sometime later XD. Not sure if I can actually get the cloning glitch to appear there, but I guess I could a+b+start+select on the emulator for the same effect. Guess I'll try it out

Also, if it matters, I don't think a Gameshark was ever used on the cartridge, but I did buy it used (albeit in perfect condition, some person played through it normally and apparently KOed Suicune)

Okay, no clue how to emulate the reset, so scrap that idea

Apparently my Crystal made another form of it - The clones themselves just acted the pokemon they're supposed to be (my Farfetchd clone still having #83) messed up at level 1. If I tried to look at its profile, different stuff happened each time, from random pixels and sounds to a bunch of question marks. When I gave my Farfetchd a Rare Candy it had Rare Candy written on it, same as the other clones. Weird. I'll test it out later, have to go for now. When it gave me the #254 it was all the Shiny Eevees and I played around with other stuff, possibly they have to be all the same species. Who knows

Well now I have my glitched farfetchd in my party and can't get it out, but its real name seems intact, just the nickname. Guess I'll try the name rater since I'm in Lavender anyhow…

I have no clue what to do from here, hope I at least gave you guys something to work with

Posted by: blitzer
Date: 2007-06-30 23:40:25
Paco81's Celebi Trick/Gameshark.

Date: 2007-07-01 05:07:05
In a unrelated note, you can stop the smileys in ????? and ??????????
You go Additional Options, Don't use smileys.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2007-07-01 22:39:26
Do any RBY Glitches learn TM55?  If so, you could Q trick it to, lets say, a Magikarp.  Evolve it, trade it to GSC, and use the bad clone trick too get a ??????!

Date: 2007-07-05 18:09:42
So has anybody other than me got ????? yet without cheating.

My research along with other peoples research can be found here:
http://trsrockin.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=620
http://trsrockin.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1665&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The gameshark and brainboy couldn't of damaged my games data at all due the fact that only the save file can be permently changed.

Date: 2007-07-06 14:28:39
Sorry about that. I don't know what went over me.

Posted by: Jesus
Date: 2007-07-06 18:39:35

It impossable to access these guys without cheating.  :D Like the egg. For example.

People used to say that about Mew in R/B/Y.

Isn't taking advantage of glitches still cheating?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-07-06 18:44:31

It impossable to access these guys without cheating.  :D Like the egg. For example.

People used to say that about Mew in R/B/Y.

Isn't taking advantage of glitches still cheating?

The quote most likely referred to GameSharking.

Date: 2007-07-06 21:57:17
That's debatable.