Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Studies on the possibility of getting ????? in G/S/C - Page 7

Re: Studies on the possibility of getting ????? in G/S/C

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-12-02 16:03:46

Hello, This is my first post, so Hi everyone!
Anyways, I have not tried this out myself but I have heard of players eventually getting a ????? like glitch from repeated bad clones. Not sure how this works though. 

Exactly.  No one knows how it works.  Practice the timing and you might get it a lot, you might not.

I personally find this to be very confusing. Over that past few days I've been trying but I'm still getting nothing.

Try to get a regular clone many many times.  You might find a timing that gets you a bad clone.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-12-03 11:30:37
There must be a definitive way to get bad clones….

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2010-07-12 15:59:08
Its hella easy. Btw I like Captain Crunch <3

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-07-12 17:24:46

Captain crucnch? My friend made a spore creature called that.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-07-13 05:52:01

(Off-topic) He's the mascot of a breakfast cereal known as Cap'n Crunch, otherwise he might be referring to The Sun's (UK newspaper) so called finance expert.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/CapnCrunch.png[/img]
[img]http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00905/crunch_brand_682_905477a.gif[/img]

Date: 2010-07-13 17:37:33

(Off-topic) He's the mascot of a breakfast cereal known as Cap'n Crunch, otherwise he might be referring to The Sun's (UK newspaper) so called finance expert.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/CapnCrunch.png[/img]
[img]http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00905/crunch_brand_682_905477a.gif[/img]

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Grymyrk%7C2267077562%3Asast-500396466283%3Apg-20
might require an account

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2010-07-13 22:18:44
Yup, hecka bomb cereal. Okay to get a bad clone hella easy: do the cloning glitch on the gb tower, once it starts saving, count two seconds like this 1 .. 2, and turn the n64 off then back on, youll have a bad clone lv0. Ive done this plenty of times and it never failed. Your welcome!

Date: 2010-07-14 04:39:29
Yes, I heard it's easier on the N64

Posted by: Antihist
Date: 2010-09-01 06:39:30
I found that BPM 137 tremendously increases my chance of a level 0 pokemon, however it does not become a bad clone, as it contains the sprite of the cloned Pokemon.

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-09-01 15:27:34
Ah, this is very useful! Albeit it may not produce bad clones, you can easily obtain Level 0 pokemon. Imagine the confusion in R/S/E whenever you try to trade one over xD

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-09-02 04:48:12
you mean R/B/Y right ? 3rd gen has no compatibility with 1st/2nd gen.

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-09-02 05:32:46
Uh, wut? I though you could trade between Gen III and Gen II. Guess I was wrong :(

I could mean R/B/Y. Wouldn't it error trap, though?

Posted by: PhantoMewtwo
Date: 2014-09-23 18:14:48
What is the glitch you get after bad cloning?

Date: 2014-09-24 09:30:32

What is the glitch you get after bad cloning?

????? (00) [species byte 2] hybridized with another Pokémon [species byte 1], from what I can tell.

I've never done the bad clone glitch as my Generation II cartridge's batteries are dead and I don't have a Nintendo 64. I could probably do it on an emulator though, as werster did it on BizHawk. Plus he released a VBA-rr 23.5 VBM that may show it working, but the link no longer works.

Date: 2016-05-08 07:04:19
Major observation! I sadly cannot remember the exact events anymore but..

In Pokémon Gold I was playing around with Quick Attack while asleep (a glitch related to this exists in Red/Blue/Yellow).

For that glitch in R/B/Y, you have Quick Attack as your last used move, and then get put to sleep on the same turn. While you are asleep (and cannot select a move), you will always move first even if Quick Attack is changed to no longer be one of your attacks.

Additionally, if the foe was put to sleep on the same turn as the foe using Quick Attack, they will always move first while asleep regardless of whether the non priority move was removed via memory viewer.

In Generation II, it turns out you can select your moves while asleep and the glitch does not apply there. If you choose a move other than Quick Attack while asleep the priority won't be kept. For the other side, a sleeping foe that knows Quick Attack and a non-priority move may either act first or not act first (possibly if they tried to use a non priority attack).

Something happened regardless. I did some things and flew to Goldenrod City, I think(?) I replaced all of my moves on memory viewer with Quick Attack either then, or before flying away. I went into the grass and encountered a Drowzee and sent out a level 3 Rattata. I probably used Quick Attack and my Pokémon got put to sleep. Drowzee ended up defeating me, possibly with one critical hit Pound. Then I either ran away without changing Pokémon or switching, or switched to Ho-Oh and ran, and the next encounter in Goldenrod City appeared to be a ????? FF.

Unfortunately I could not do anything in battle because it turned the battle into a link battle. Any action resulted in a (possibly) infinite "Waiting…" message.

However, if this happens to be a glitch (and not an accidental result of me using memory viewer) that works on Crystal in the same way, you may be able to avoiding the "Waiting…" message and capture ????? (FF). ????? (FF)'s Pokédex entry made the game hang in Crystal, but it seems like its Pokédex entry may actually be taken from the memory (see http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Five_question_marks#255 and the many 9s. These 9s did not appear for me). There may be a means of registering it without a freeze. If you make the text start with an 08, is text code arbitrary code execution a possibility too?

I was messing around with D149-D14C earlier. Datacrystal calls this enemy move 1-4, but this actually updates when you view one of your Pokémon's own moves from the summary.