Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

G/S/C glitch discussion - Page 1

G/S/C glitch discussion

Posted by: MysticFlygon
Date: 2013-01-06 22:59:31
There was no 2nd Gen glitch discussion, so I made one, since it really does deserve one. There are a lot of glitches in it (many revolving around the bad clone) that are worth noting. Here's some stuff I found in Crystal version while experimenting that wasn't listed on the site.

~~~

Bad Clones

A bad clone is a Pokemon obtained if you attempt the cloning process in G/S/C, but turn the power of just a fraction too early. The Pokemon obtained will flood your PC with ?'s when you scroll down to it in your PC, and its status is very glitchy.* If you want to glitch your game out majorly, get a bad clone today!

*Sometimes, it turns out to be an almost-bad-clone. Its name still floods the box with question marks, and its OT is still "?", but its status isn't nearly as glitchy. One failproof way to tell if you have a bad clone is to put it in the daycare. If the daycare man calls it ?????????????????ute35, then its a bad clone. Be sure to save before doing this, as it will glitch your bad clone out even more.***

**Yes, it can, and does get worse (or better, in my view).

~~~

Making a hybrid Pokemon

A bad clone can make a Pokemon into a random hybrid Pokemon. Just have the bad clone in your party, and and go to deposit Pokemon.* When you scroll through the list of Pokemon and/or view the status of the bad clone.** You might find that one of your Pokemon's sprites has changed. If you want to keep it, deposit it and then withdraw it (this step may not be neccessary). These hybrids will retain the moves of their previous form, will look like the new Pokemon outside of battle, and look like the old one in battle. They can learn the moves of the new Pokemon (maybe the old, too, I'm not sure).

*When you select deposit, you may get a white screen. Just press B a few times, and if you hear a sound like you're scrolling text, keep pressing. If you don't hear it, congratulations, the game froze.***

**When viewing the status, the game may freeze. If you reset and try again, the results may, oddly, be different.

***If the game freezes, then try again with the Pokemon in your party in a different order. I don't know why, but changing the order (it sometimes take a few tries of a few different combinations) often works.

Also, I made a bad clone/Articuno hybrid out of a regular Pokemon (I don't know which one, because after that, everything was different about it. Plus, sometimes you can change the sprites of your bad clone in this way. For instance, my Tentacruel bad clone turned into a Omastar bad clone.

~~~

Reseting the time/date

Somtimes, if you have a new bad clone in your party (one that you haven't messed with yet) and you go to deposit Pokemon, every time you move to a new Pokemon, you have to scroll through a lot of glitchy text that changes every slot, including the cancel option, to something like 'A` (I forget the exact thing it changes to). If you take the time to scroll down to what was the cancel option, you will be rewarded. Select the cancel icon and deposit it. (actually, you might just have to press A, I don't remember, since its been a while and I messed up all my bad clones) When you do, the game will reset and give you the "This game pak is designed only for use on the gameboy color" message. Turn off the power, and then turn it back on. When you choose to continue your save file, you will get a message that the time may be wrong. You may now reset the day of the week and the time.

~~~

A Glitch City w/out Gameshark

First, take your bad clone to the daycare, and give it to the daycare man. Immeadiatly talk to him. He will say that your ???????????????ute35 needs more time. Take it back anyways. If you look in your party, you will see that its sprite in your party is now of a static-y box. (If not, you did not have a real bad clone) Go to the Goldenrod Pokemon Center (this may work in other places, but I have yet to test it) and view the status of your bad clone. You will have to scroll through many pages. If the game does not freeze, then just keep scrolling until you exit out. After that, close the menu. The Pokemon Center will immeadiatly glitch out entirely. You may be thinking that you're already there, but this current state is lacking some major signs of the G/S/C glitch city. Walk around for a bit. If the music suddenly glitches out, you've done it right. (If you can't get the music to glitch, then you may have to start over from a different spot in the Pokemon Center and try again) If you look at your money, it will have a ; in front of it. You will also only have two badges. These are the signs of the G/S/C glitch city. Walk a little further, and everything will change again. This time, it will have a night-time tileset, just like the G/S/C glitch city. You may not be able to get very far though, I'm not sure.

~~~

Happy glitching!

Re: G/S/C glitch discussion

Posted by: Pokeglitch86
Date: 2013-01-07 15:18:43
Hello.
Thanks MysticFlygon for this much deserved thread. There is a lot of misconceptions about what a "bad clone" actually is and I'll try my best to clear those up along with writing up a bunch of stuff that I never got around to. This will make experimenting with these glitches much easier. I originally began to experiment with 'bad clones' in order to achieve a means at obtaining a g/s/c missingno or ????? in order to make the Johto Guard Glitch a viable glitch. The original discovery/discussion thread can be found here.

http://trsrockin.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1665

A bad clone is just a pokemon (the one you are cloning) that has been hybridized with the cancel button (It's my working theory at least). Either that or it's just a corrupted version of the pokemon you tried to clone. The cancel button is in fact hex FF or 255 which marks an end of list. In this case the ????? (FF) is the actual pokemon that has now been hybridized with your attempted clone. All the "glitchyness" is the game filling in a bunch of pokemon data that of course can't be found inside the cancel button data or perhaps it's just corrupted data as a result of shutting the game off mid-save. Problems with this theory are that bad clones follow the characteristics of ????? (00) rather than FF. I really don't know why.

The useful application of a bad clone in my mind is not for any Celebi Glitch or Hybridization or Name Trick but rather to get a clean ????? (00) and ????? (FF) which is much more useful and easier to use as they do not contain corrupted data. This is rather easy. All we need to do is take the 'bad clone' and breed it with a ditto. This will result in an egg that may take a while to hatch but will eventually hatch into a ????? (00). I believe it is also wise to give it a rare candy once it's hatched. This will prevent it from jumping up to extreme levels when put in the daycare. That is how one can obtain a clean ????? (00).

A ????? (00) has useful applications but it's ????? (FF) that acts almost just like a 'bad clone' and can also be used for the Johto Guard Glitch. You can convert 00 into FF by having 5 pokemon in your party and then taking 00 out of the daycare. You then move 00 to the top of your party and use move pokemon to insert a seventh pokemon into your party. (I call this overloading). Go back to the daycare lady/man and give them your 00. It this then recommended that you release the top pokemon in your party as it will be very corrupted. Your 00 should now instead be an clean FF which is a bit more useful.

Here's how 00 and FF can be distinguished. While 00 or FF is in the daycare FF's overworld sprite outside will be a bunch of arbitrary pixels while 00 has the hero's sprite.

It should be noted that you cannot deposit either 00 or FF in your PC. You cannot even use the PC to delete them unless you do some clever hybridization in which case you can completely rid yourself of them if you so choose. An egg of either 00 or FF can be deposited into the PC so that you don't have to get a bad clone all over again. You can get a FF egg by simply breeding FF with a ditto.

There's probably more I have to say on the subject or g/s/c glitches in general but this is what came to mind at the moment.

Re: Johto Guard Glitch

Date: 2013-01-07 20:10:01
I am afraid that your link is not functional, perhaps due to the fact that trsrocking.com was unfortunatly closed down long ago. Later on, some person-who-I-don't-know forced all archives to be deleted. I wish it was different, since it was an amazing website for Pokemon glitches. I plan to contact the former webmaster to see if she possibly has any backups herself.

Date: 2013-01-25 12:17:14
Errr…maybe this could be made a Sticky, since there's a glitch thread for R/B/Y, but not one for G/S/C?

Posted by: firefurret
Date: 2013-01-27 17:01:02

It should be noted that you cannot deposit either 00 or FF in your PC. You cannot even use the PC to delete them unless you do some clever hybridization in which case you can completely rid yourself of them if you so choose. An egg of either 00 or FF can be deposited into the PC so that you don't have to get a bad clone all over again. You can get a FF egg by simply breeding FF with a ditto.

Wow, perfect timing on this thread. I was experimenting lately with Crystal and was frustrated with having to trade FF and 00 to R/B/Y games in order to get rid of them. But then I found that you can do a type of hybridization or forceful merging of FF and 00 pokemon with an egg. You do this by putting 00/FF in the 6th slot of your party and putting an egg in the 5th slot then using the move pokemon w/o mail option to move a (preferably worthless) pokemon to the top of the party just like in the celebi glitch. Then, deposit the pokemon the 1st slot of your party, and your FF or 00 should have merged and turned into an egg while the egg pokemon should be hatched but named still named egg. You can hatch the egg and it will be whatever was in the original egg (not the FF or 00) except that it will have the same messed up sprite of a 255 or 00. All you have to do to restore the correct sprite is give it to one of the daycare people. Once you get it back, it should be good to go.

I have not fully investigated this yet, but it has worked every time so far.

Edit: I seem to have forgotten how I did this, but I will try and rediscover it.

Date: 2013-01-30 19:13:29
I think this is the method I used involved hybridizing FF with another pokemon to get rid of FF. Once hybridizing FF would then appear to be a normal pokemon and would be recognized by the PC and you can deposit/release it normally. (As a hybrid) Another otherwise normal pokemon will have hybridized with FF and appear to be an FF. Just put it in and out of the daycare and it will be normal again. I have organized instruction saved in a word document somewhere..

Date: 2013-05-11 22:37:57
So, sometimes viewing my bad clone that I had put in the daycare and taken back out to make it change (now no longer a bad clone, but something else) will result in any of the following: 1. Just a regular status screen but with lots of ?'s. 2. The game glitches. 3. The game glitches and freezes. (2 is very rare) Today, I was trying to achieve 2, and the game was freezing a lot. Eventually, the game really glitched out when I viewed it, and then froze. When I turned the power back on and got to the title screen, I was greeted by the following message: The save file is corrupted! I tried to continue my game, only to encounter the same message. My file was rendered unusable.

If I recall correctly, most people believe that without saving, no damage can be done to the save file? Well, this proves otherwise.

Posted by: SloshedMail
Date: 2013-05-12 06:10:23
Did you see this yet?

I have already explained much of the risks about ?????.

Date: 2013-05-12 18:25:30
No, sorry, I hadn't seen that. I just wondered how exactly ????? can corrupt the save data. Do you have any idea how that happens? Also, I was cloning my level 10 and 11 Cyndaquil and Pidgey on my new save file, attempting to get a bad clone, and they turned into a level 18 Cyndaquil and Pidgey, nicknamed Stantler, with Tackle, Leer, and Hypnosis. Their OT was now Chris.

Date: 2013-05-12 18:46:53
If you were cloning Stantler on your previous save file in the same box you're cloning at, you would most likely get the bad clone that resembles the previous Pokemon. It happened to me before when I was cloning my Poliwhirl before and my (shiny) Eggs changed names after cloning them next. It is also why I usually clone on only three boxes and keep the rest empty so the bad clones can happen easily on the rest of the PC.

Date: 2013-05-12 19:02:19
I'm pretty sure that I didn't have a Stantler on my previous save file. Even if I did, how would that carry over? I've heard that save data from a deleted file can sometimes be restored or affect the new game, but how does that work? Also, my character's name was KRIS, not CHRIS. And my character was female, not male.

Date: 2013-05-12 19:37:51
I've never gotten a corrupted save file from the many trials and experimentation I've done with ?????. Does your cart still save? Most Gen 2 cartridges have gone bad by now. The batteries on my Crystal, Gold, and Silver have all ran dry. My friend has a gold version with a save file that's corrupted but will still load and eventually freeze after a little gameplay. Chances are it can modify the save file with the correct conditions but it seems it happens very rarely. As with all glitches proceed at your own risk.

A bad clone and a ????? are very different. It's sprite represents whatever data somehow got shifted into that location in it's data structure. Kingdra seems to be the most common "random" sprite. It's certainly notable that Kingdra's hex value is the same as the "?" character. It's essentially one of the many question marks that spread over the entire screen finding itself within the sprite data. Why are there so many question marks being generated? Perhaps they come from the name "?????" but I would imagine it's some sort of error code the game spits out.

Date: 2013-05-12 19:44:17
Yes, it still saves, and as far as I know, the battery has never been changed. I got it from a friend, so I can't be sure, but I don't think that he knew about the battery. My save file was corrupted, and wouldn't load, so I had to start a new game, abandoning my ????? in the process. I'm still confused as to how it can cause corruption without saving the game. Can you clarify?

Date: 2013-05-12 19:54:36
My Crystal cartridge's battery still works but it usually resets the time when the game isn't used in a while. I have successfully replaced the battery for my Silver version and it works perfectly as usual but it feels impossible to open up the Crystal cartridge for some reason. I have corrupted my save data just by attempting to find the secret maps in Goldenrod and what I am thinking is that ????? is rearranging the ram before the game crashes.

But, to answer your question, your save data may have been used before you restarted it and all. It's possible to have a male character named CHRIS (Or Mat / Allan / Jon) as a default name. I believe clearing everything requires the battery to be removed and inserted again.

Date: 2013-05-12 20:23:08
Also, how come Bad Clones are next to impossible to obtain in Crystal? It took dozens of tries my first time, and I haven't succeeded yet on this new save file.