Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

G/S/C glitch discussion - Page 8

Re: G/S/C glitch discussion

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-07-01 09:51:44
It is possible to do so with ACE - you'd need to write to the two bytes containing the Trainer ID - but I'm not a Gen II ACE expert, so I'll pass. (And writing the "save restoration" 8F sucked up all my energy x)

First you'd have to choose which method of ACE you pick. There are a couple different ones, one requiring for example two Secret Potions and two Machine Parts to get TMs in the wrong pocket. I think that can be done with cloning, but the "standard" way of doing it is by trading. But if you have only one game/console, you'd have to use another method, etc. I don't think they are mentioned on the wiki (yet).

Posted by: asphere
Date: 2017-07-01 10:01:40

It is possible to do so with ACE - you'd need to write to the two bytes containing the Trainer ID - but I'm not a Gen II ACE expert, so I'll pass. (And writing the "save restoration" 8F sucked up all my energy x)

First you'd have to choose which method of ACE you pick. There are a couple different ones, one requiring for example two Secret Potions and two Machine Parts to get TMs in the wrong pocket. I think that can be done with cloning, but the "standard" way of doing it is by trading. But if you have only one game/console, you'd have to use another method, etc. I don't think they are mentioned on the wiki (yet).

yes i have 1 only gameboy, but anyway i don t undrstand.. can u post for me how i should do? is like on pkmn yellow 1st gen or change? i didn t find wich mode there are for ACE on gen 2.

Date: 2017-09-17 09:05:39

yes i have 1 only gameboy, but anyway i don t undrstand.. can u post for me how i should do? is like on pkmn yellow 1st gen or change? i didn t find wich mode there are for ACE on gen 2.

THERE ARE SOME NEWS GUYS? CRYSTAL OR TORCHIKS?
HEY can you help me? is possible to change ID number on pokemon Silver 2gen italian?
if yes can you explain to me?
thanks in advance

Posted by: likebeingawesome
Date: 2017-09-17 20:25:17
This is I guess an early warning to the people who use this thread or help people who ask questions on it and have not realized this already but it is going to light up soon with people who got gold and silver virtual console trying to get lots of good and shiny pokemon into sun and moon and in November ultrasun and ultra moon.

Date: 2017-09-18 02:23:06

This is I guess an early warning to the people who use this thread or help people who ask questions on it and have not realized this already but it is going to light up soon with people who got gold and silver virtual console trying to get lots of good and shiny pokemon into sun and moon and in November ultrasun and ultra moon.

I don t understand what u want mean but anyway if u can read my post i need only change ID, no need shiny pkmn…

Posted by: likebeingawesome
Date: 2017-09-18 06:39:37

I don t understand what u want mean but anyway if u can read my post i need only change ID, no need shiny pkmn…

In four days gold and silver come out for  virtual console which means people who want help with glitches and stuff such as getting shiny celabe.

Posted by: DoubleNegative
Date: 2017-09-20 15:01:37
when trading from gen 2 to 1 using johto guard, do the type bytes of the pokemon stay the same, or are they set to whatever type the gen 1 equivalent is?

ie: use johto guard to trade lugia to gen 1, is it still psychic/flying type?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-09-20 15:32:30

when trading from gen 2 to 1 using johto guard, do the type bytes of the pokemon stay the same, or are they set to whatever type the gen 1 equivalent is?

Most likely, as IIRC the type bytes weren't shuffled around between the two. Give it a shot!

Date: 2017-09-21 10:15:02
Since they aren't shuffled usually, I bet they don't.

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2017-09-21 13:33:21

Yes. When converting the Pokémon to Generation I format, the Generation II game looks up its types from its own data. (An exception is made for Magnemite and Magneton.) This also means the resulting glitch Pokémon can be traded back to Generation II and become a Lugia again, since the type data is used to check whether a Pokémon is abnormal.

Posted by: DoubleNegative
Date: 2017-09-21 15:22:41
Thanks, I was wondering if I could get 2 lugias by trading one to blue and having a wild ghost missingno copy its type.

Date: 2017-09-22 09:50:08
Hm, but the lookup will fail for Pokémon not in the table, no ?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-09-22 11:15:15

Pokémon not in the table when traded from Generation I to Generation II convert according to values extrapolated beyond the table. According to Hacky for Pokémon not in the table traded from Generation II to Generation I the game searches until it finds the relevant Generation II value beyond the table (so for Celebi it would be FB, for Egg it would be FD and for the ????? 00, FC, FE and FF I think).

The offset will then determine the Generation I Pokémon. For Celebi and Egg in English Gold/Silver, the game searches beyond the end of the ROM bank and into RAM, which is why the predictions are hard to predict (apparently much like CoolTrainer's success rate).

Lugia is defined in the table so that MissingNo. (Ghost-form) converts into Lugia and Lugia converts back into MissingNo. (Ghost), and since MissingNo. (Ghost) can copy the stored types of a Pokémon in the party after catching it if there was an (internally stored) Psychic/Flying Pokémon you could use that to trade MissingNo. (Ghost) on to Generation II (another method  is by using arbitrary code execution to change the internal types).

I believe the abnormal Pokémon trap doesn't apply to Generation II to Generation I trades, so the game won't mind in that case that Lugia is Psychic/Flying and MissingNo. Ghost can be a different type. Therefore in theory, as DoubleNegative says you should be able to get two Lugia by trading one (via Time Capsule exploit) to Generation I and catching MissingNo. (Ghost).

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-09-24 17:53:19

Pokémon not in the table when traded from Generation I to Generation II convert according to values extrapolated beyond the table.
Did we reallyexpect anything else? Honestly?
ISSOtm, why did you have to ask? This IS Gens 1+2 we're talking about here.