Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

G/S/C glitch discussion - Page 2

Re: G/S/C glitch discussion

Posted by: Pokeglitch86
Date: 2013-05-12 23:15:06
I'm really no expert on how the GameBoy addresses and uses it's RAM. I would imagine that it uses it's own internal RAM up until you hit save at which point it transfers the updated save file to the cartridge RAM. Perhaps the glitch somehow instructed the processor to address and write to the cartridge RAM which would had corrupted the save file.

Try cloning Red Gyarados. Always seemed to work pretty well. Some pokemon definitely work better than others. And again, you can use any "bad clone" for the Celebi Trick. For example if you had a Sneasel with Beat Up you could use a Gyarados bad clone as a substitute for the Sneasel bad clone and it'd work. Of course I recommend getting a non hybrid ????? and just using that.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-05-13 22:53:10
Has anyone on here messed around with address 0049 in the ROM of G/S/C? Specifically, changing the first byte of the line to 11 or 13.

agusganog made some great videos of its effects. I have only been able to get past the startup screen once. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld06wjxC6MI

In every case so far, it's crashed when I attempt to do anything in the overworld. But there are lots of fun title screen effects - text glitching, palette changes, graphics glitches, et al. - and it literally glitches itself (no more mashing the A button for line errors!).

I also somehow got the correct password for resetting the clock, by picking some completely random digits. I've never seen that happen before.

Posted by: MysticFlygon
Date: 2013-05-14 07:13:48
I can't seem to view the video. It keeps saying 'An error occurred. Please try again later.'

Also, I don't really know anything about changing addresses. Could you please explain how I would go about doing that?

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2013-05-14 10:12:50
First off you'll need the emulator Visual Boy Advance, the emulator comes with a few debugging tools in this case you'd want to look at the memory viewer. The memory viewer is located under the Tools section of the emulator. If you wanted to exactly mess up the address MrGlitch is talking about type in the "go to" box 0049, it'll take you to the proper address within the ROM. This is called memory hacking, and is how you can change different addresses. Also MrGlitch, looks like you'll need to re upload your video as i'm also getting the same error.

Date: 2013-05-14 10:26:01
I tried changing it, but all it did was freeze the game…

Date: 2013-05-14 11:03:47
Try different values, MrGlitch did explain that lots of times the game will freeze eventually there should be some values that allow the game to function still with glitches. It's the fun part of memory hacking, if nothing works by effecting this address perhaps you could try different addresses and see what happens. It's all about experimenting. :)

Date: 2013-05-14 12:00:05

I tried changing it, but all it did was freeze the game…

If you're anywhere in the game besides the title screen or opening credits when you modify address 0049, the game will most likely freeze.

Date: 2013-05-14 12:08:07
Let's see if this video works…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7b7W9nBt8&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2013-05-14 12:15:06
Doesn't work either.

Date: 2013-05-14 13:28:23
I was on the title screen, but it still froze…

I tried changing the first byte in line 0050 from C3 to A3, and there were some very interesting results. There were some graphical glitches, and very soon after the game got to the title screen, it reset on its own. Partway through the intro, it skipped to the title screen. After waiting at the title screen for a bit, it acted as if I had pressed A or Start, and went to the New Game/ Options screen. After a while, it will reset again, with a white background and black text, and say that the game is only for Game Boy Color. If I start a new game, the text will occasionally have an incorrect character, and one time, when I was told to enter my name, it acted as if I had pressed A and took me to the New Name screen. It then proceeded to glitch a lot, and reset with the 'only for Game Boy Color' message. When I actually managed to get into the overworld, it reset shortly after, again with the 'only for Game Boy Color' message.

Date: 2013-05-14 15:07:21
Here's a video, in which I don't press any buttons.

http://youtu.be/Vdlxqsq_TKA

Date: 2013-05-14 15:11:56
You're on the correct track to memory hacking, if i'm not mistaken Blaziken wrote a very detailed description on why the "This game pak is only designed for the Game Boy Color" error handler screen somewhere on here… Anyway this is definitely making me want to start memory hacking again… xD Also MrGlitch, what video codec are you using to compress the avi file? I'm assuming whatever codec you're using isn't agreeing with Youtube at all… I usually tend to use Microsoft Video 1 with full frames compression. Edit: Also great work MysticFlygon, I laughed when I saw the title screen and what looked like the word "tit". xD

Date: 2013-05-14 16:07:17
Changing C3 to B3 was a bit more glitchy, and changing the byte after that (93) to 13 was even more glitchy. Here's a video of the latter: http://youtu.be/PRaV8Pvy1dc

Date: 2013-05-14 16:51:39

Also MrGlitch, what video codec are you using to compress the avi file? I'm assuming whatever codec you're using isn't agreeing with Youtube at all… I usually tend to use Microsoft Video 1 with full frames compression.

I honestly have no idea what codec I have…

I just record things with HyperCam 2 and upload the AVI files directly to YouTube. The videos I've recorded with HyperCam 2 on my laptop, which have audio, apparently work, but the ones I record on my desktop PC don't. 

Then again, my laptop also has XP and my desktop has Win8.  But that probably isn't related to the problem.

Date: 2013-05-14 17:09:25
I highly suggest you use VisualBoyAdvance's AVI logging, it'll give you the option to compress the avi file with different formats. Plus there won't be any slowdowns caused by using Hypercam. :)