Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

G/S/C glitch discussion - Page 3

Re: G/S/C glitch discussion

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-05-15 01:52:00

Then again, my laptop also has XP and my desktop has Win8.

This is the problem. New soundcards and Win7 onwards don't support Stereo Mix, or "record what you hear".

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2013-05-15 02:54:36

This is the problem. New soundcards and Win7 onwards don't support Stereo Mix, or "record what you hear".

Not true, this function is actually hidden in most cases and can be re-enabled by going to:

Recording Devices > Right click white space > Show Disabled Devices > Stereo Mix > Enable

(Recording devices is accessed under the sound portion of the control panel or right clicking the speaker in the taskbar.)

For those other cases, there's Virtual Audio Cable which acts as an EMULATED version of stereo mix.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-05-15 05:10:06

Not true, this function is actually hidden in most cases and can be re-enabled by going to:

Recording Devices > Right click white space > Show Disabled Devices > Stereo Mix > Enable

(Recording devices is accessed under the sound portion of the control panel or right clicking the speaker in the taskbar.)

For those other cases, there's Virtual Audio Cable which acts as an EMULATED version of stereo mix.

New sound cards don't include this feature. I'm using e2eSoft's Virtual Sound Card to record anything with sound except those recordable by VBA.

Posted by: MysticFlygon
Date: 2013-05-16 12:18:58
Has anyone seen this before?
[img]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4695/waitingsw.png[/img]
The game was lagging horribly due to me changing a few bytes, and at the worst part of the lag, 'Waiting…!' appeared.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-05-16 20:43:29

Has anyone seen this before?
[img]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4695/waitingsw.png[/img]
The game was lagging horribly due to me changing a few bytes, and at the worst part of the lag, 'Waiting…!' appeared.

I believe that's part of the text that appears during a link cable battle.

Date: 2013-05-17 06:12:06
I thought it looked familiar. But why would it appear there, and when the game was lagging badly?

Posted by: Krazyguy75
Date: 2013-05-17 08:58:17
Perhaps the byte changed made it think it was connecting to multiplayer, and as such caused it to lag while it detected what the non-existant connection was doing.

Or it could be a graphical glitch.

Date: 2013-05-17 18:00:44

I thought it looked familiar. But why would it appear there, and when the game was lagging badly?

Couldn't tell you.

I did have Blue switch to Link Battle mode once, in the middle of some memory hacking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhtPTLM_B7w

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2013-05-18 19:30:47
Pretty much when you're memory hacking, depending on which offset and byte you change it could trigger events that are programmed into the game, it just so happens you changed a byte somewhere triggering the "waiting!" event that happens when you're linked up with a friend's game. This is also why most of the time you'll get crashes and game hangs, when you change a byte within the game's memory you interrupt the constant flow of code, when you encounter a crash or hang you've changed a byte to where the game can't pull valid data from resulting in crashes.

Date: 2013-05-19 07:27:29
I got Prof. Oak to spout a bunch of gibberish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ETvtuUbc4

Date: 2013-06-08 11:44:49
I FINALLY GOT IT YOU GUYS

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HxZmbnW.png[/img]

The game basically exploded itself in the middle of Oak's introduction text.

This message has been brought to you by the byte 13 and the address 0049!

Posted by: goldnux
Date: 2013-06-28 18:50:40
I don't know if people know this already, but I found that I can hybridize any 2 pokemon I want in Crystal version, through basically the same process as making a bad clone. It seems more reliable than hybridizing with a "random pokemon" as described in the first post. To make a hybrid with pidgey as the recipient and geodude as the donor:

- Deposit pidgey.
- Save.
- Withdraw pidgey.
- Deposit geodude.
- (Optional?) Deposit more pokemon to increase the chance of success (I don't know if this makes a difference or not)
- Save and reset at exactly the right time.

It has to be timed just like making a bad clone, which is tricky, but I've done it twice already. I'm going to teach it some of geodude's moves then stabilize it at the daycare, turning it back into a pidgey.

Interestingly, the extra pokemon I deposited became hybridized with a Gyrados which I don't have. It must have been from an old file.

Edit: I mixed up the order, it's fixed now.
Also, this tends to make the recipient (pidgey) disappear if the game is powered off too late. Kind of the reverse of the cloning glitch.

Posted by: Xelrog T. Apocalypse
Date: 2013-10-01 11:38:51
A ????? (00) has useful applications but it's ????? (FF) that acts almost just like a 'bad clone' and can also be used for the Johto Guard Glitch. You can convert 00 into FF by having 5 pokemon in your party and then taking 00 out of the daycare. You then move 00 to the top of your party and use move pokemon to insert a seventh pokemon into your party. (I call this overloading). Go back to the daycare lady/man and give them your 00. It this then recommended that you release the top pokemon in your party as it will be very corrupted. Your 00 should now instead be an clean FF which is a bit more useful.

Here's how 00 and FF can be distinguished. While 00 or FF is in the daycare FF's overworld sprite outside will be a bunch of arbitrary pixels while 00 has the hero's sprite.

Thanks, this was extremely helpful. I've been trying to get my hands on a ????? FE, and have found virtually no good, reliable information around the Internet on getting there. I had a 00 that I thought was an FF because the 00 worked for the Celebi Egg Glitch.

Some useful information…

00's Icon: Maybe this varies between copies, but every time I've gotten a 00 (by making a Bad Clone, depositing it in the Day Care, and withdrawing it, or by hatching a clean 00) its icon in the Pokemon menu has been that of a Slowpoke. This might be worth mentioning for the sake of identifying a 00.

Getting Rid of ?????'s: I can't verify that this'll happen 100% of the time. Maybe I was just unfortunate this one time. Upon placing both a ????? 00 and a ????? FF into the Day Care together and immediately talking to the Day-Care Woman again, she told me to go talk to her husband (who was still across the table). I stepped outside to find that both Pokemon were gone and the man was waiting with an egg. It hatched into a 00. While walking around waiting for it to hatch, the old man had another egg to give me, despite the fact that there were now no Pokemon in there. I talked to both the man and the woman and they asked if I wanted to deposit any; I did so, and stopped receiving eggs. So, the Day Care was apparently back to functioning normally upon depositing something over the lingering "ghost" glitch Pokemon and withdrawing them again.

So, my theory is that you can get rid of a 00 by depositing it in the Day Care with an FF and vice-versa.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-10-01 12:50:04

Getting Rid of ?????'s: I can't verify that this'll happen 100% of the time. Maybe I was just unfortunate this one time. Upon placing both a ????? 00 and a ????? FF into the Day Care together and immediately talking to the Day-Care Woman again, she told me to go talk to her husband (who was still across the table). I stepped outside to find that both Pokemon were gone and the man was waiting with an egg. It hatched into a 00. While walking around waiting for it to hatch, the old man had another egg to give me, despite the fact that there were now no Pokemon in there. I talked to both the man and the woman and they asked if I wanted to deposit any; I did so, and stopped receiving eggs. So, the Day Care was apparently back to functioning normally upon depositing something over the lingering "ghost" glitch Pokemon and withdrawing them again.

So, my theory is that you can get rid of a 00 by depositing it in the Day Care with an FF and vice-versa.

Sounds interesting. Nice find. You can also get a rid of a ????? (FF) by having it below the first Pokémon, taking it into the Bug Catching Contest and quitting. This doesn't work with other variants though. I thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

Posted by: Xelrog T. Apocalypse
Date: 2013-10-01 13:21:51

Sounds interesting. Nice find. You can also get a rid of a ????? (FF) by having it below the first Pokémon, taking it into the Bug Catching Contest and quitting. This doesn't work with other variants though. I thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

I was aware of this, but I've actually been trying to GET a FF, so I was frustrated when I found out it had disappeared in the Day Care. If this does happen consistently, though, it could be a useful way to get rid of 00's if you have an FF or two lying around. Or you can always convert a 00 to an FF, then deposit it with another 00, getting rid of both at once.

I've been trying to get the Johto Guard Glitch to work, and discovered that I was trying to do it with a 00. So it's been a pain trying to get a stable FF to attempt it with. Here's hoping.