Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Arbitrary code execution in Gold/Silver UE using the Coin Case - Page 11

Re: Arbitrary code execution in Gold/Silver UE using the Coin Case

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2017-10-24 19:56:23
Here's a new code:

All encountered Pokemon are shiny:
Box 1: Ap0'méJ95
Box 2: p0-éK955
Box 3: p02éL9p'd
Box 4: (Doesn't Matter)
Box 5: p0éé(male)'dyy
Box 6: p0ké0'dp'd

After executing, just walk around in the grass. Any Pokemon you encounter will be shiny!

Please note this does affect trainer Pokemon as well, meaning any trainer you encounter will have a full shiny team. Also, note that the only way to disable this code is by resetting the game.

As of right now, this is TM 25 only. I have yet to port this for coin case.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Dragon Arbock
Date: 2017-10-24 23:39:10

Here's a new code:

After executing, just walk around in the grass. Any Pokemon you encounter will be shiny!

Please note this does affect trainer Pokemon as well, meaning any trainer you encounter will have a full shiny team. Also, note that the only way to disable this code is by resetting the game.

Enjoy!

Oh, this sounds cool. If this is possible, is it possible to use a code to alter the species of wild pokemon? I know with 8F you could.

Date: 2017-10-25 05:36:13

Here's a new code:

Enjoy!

Oh, this sounds cool. If this is possible, is it possible to use a code to alter the species of wild pokemon? I know with 8F you could.

Yes, and I will work on it as soon as I get home.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-10-25 06:52:36

If you change addresses CEA3-CEA6 to 08 (or apparently all values 08-0E), it will allow you to walk through almost any wall. However these addresses will be reset after taking a step, so if you want to do this with arbitrary code execution it must be done with something like many uses of wrong pocket TM/HM code execution (as Coin Case requires moving in a specific pattern), or "real time arbitrary code execution".

Usually when I try writing to the OAM DMA, the game ends up crashing.

Maybe i'm missing something.

EDIT: Just tried it again, worked fine. Can't recall what I did wrong initially.

Since the OAM DMA routine is ran on every frame, you must overwrite the terminating RET last. Maybe that's what was going awry.

Date: 2017-10-25 11:01:14
Took a lot longer than expected, but here it is!

All wild Pokemon are <inset x pokemon here>:
Box 1: Ap'v8é'm25
Box 2: p0(male)55555
Box 3: 'v'vé52p0'm
Box 4: éJ9p0(female)55
Box 5: éK9p0255
Box 6: éL9p'd555
Box 7: p0?yyéé'd
Box 8: p'dyyyyyy

Replace ? with the SpeciesID.

Now, obviously not every Pokemon is going to be able to be represented with valid characters. If you would like this code to work with a specific Pokemon, just let me know and i'll be happy to make an adaption.

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2017-10-25 13:07:15
That's amazing, what level are the Pokemon? The same level as the Pokemon on the route that are replaced? And you said to get encounters back to normal you just reset the game? Also does a Celebi you catch with this glitch have its start moves of Leech Seed, Heal Bell, Confusion and Recover?

As for suggestions for other Pokemon - maybe the baby Pokemon (Cleffa, Igglybuff, Magby, Elekid, Pichu) as these Pokes are annoying to breed for because for whatever reason its takes ages for the daycare to produce a egg I'm finding in the VC versions, others have reported this too, you get there eventually, but it sometimes takes A LOT of biking just for them to produce one egg.

Also the legendary beasts would be useful too. :) Currently I have Suicune, but it's annoying trying to rely on luck finding the others especially when you don't have their Pokedex entries.

Date: 2017-10-25 13:17:07

That's amazing, what level are the Pokemon? The same level as the Pokemon on the route that are replaced? And you said to get encounters back to normal you just reset the game? Also does a Celebi you catch with this glitch have its start moves of Leech Seed, Heal Bell, Confusion and Recover?

As for suggestions for other Pokemon - maybe the baby Pokemon (Cleffa, Igglybuff, Magby, Elekid, Pichu) as these Pokes are annoying to breed for because for whatever reason its takes ages for the daycare to produce a egg I'm finding in the VC games, others have reported this too, you get there eventually, but it sometimes takes A LOT of biking just for them to produce one egg.

Also the legendary beasts would be useful too. :) Currently I have Suicune, but it's annoying trying to rely on luck finding the others especially when you don't have their Pokedex entries.

Thank you!

Regarding the levels, they are based on the route you used this exploit in. Regarding the moves, the Celebi I tried this with used Confusion and Heal Bell agianst me, but I only had time to test out 3 attacks (it used heal bell twice).

As for the other Pokemon you mentioned, I will make them as soon as I return to my computer. :)

Posted by: Dragon Arbock
Date: 2017-10-25 13:34:53
That's really nice of you to do. I was gonna mess around with it when I have time, but  if you can, you should probably make it compatible with pokemon that don't match existing single characters (like Sneasel is 't'v8).

Date: 2017-10-25 13:55:31

Thank you!

Regarding the levels, they are based on the route you used this exploit in. Regarding the moves, the Celebi I tried this with used Confusion and Heal Bell agianst me, but I only had time to test out 3 attacks (it used heal bell twice).

As for the other Pokemon you mentioned, I will make them as soon as I return to my computer. :)

This seems the best way to get Celebi with it's start moves then. Other methods to obtain Celebi then have to do another glitch to teach it's start moves which takes a longer time. The only other way to get a Celebi with its start moves using one method is using the bad clone method to get a Celebi at level 0 then give it a Rare Candy to level 1 and it will learn it's start moves, but the bad clone method is more complicated, risky and time consuming, so your discovery is definitely the best method.

Date: 2017-10-25 14:17:30

That's really nice of you to do. I was gonna mess around with it when I have time, but  if you can, you should probably make it compatible with pokemon that don't match existing single characters (like Sneasel is 't'v8).

Thanks!

In box 7 I left room for a 'v and another value to do just that. I left it out of the code for use with the likes of Celebi.

Date: 2017-10-25 14:31:07
This would be a good video idea to make along with the all encountered Pokemon are shiny code you discovered, Torchickens I hope you're reading this.

Anyway I'm still curious about some of the other factors with this. Like, if you set all the wild encounters to Celebi, catch the Celebi and save, how does the encounters go back to normal upon resetting if you just saved with that code in place? The one thing I wouldn't want to happen with a glitch like this would be to permanently mess up the code of the wild encounters.

Date: 2017-10-25 14:43:11

This would be a good video idea to make along with the all encountered Pokemon are shiny code you discovered, Torchickens I hope you're reading this.

Anyway I'm still curious about some of the other factors with this. Like, if you set all the wild encounters to Celebi, catch the Celebi and save, how does the encounters go back to normal upon resetting if you just saved with that code in place? The one thing I wouldn't want to happen with a glitch like this would be to permanently mess up the code of the wild encounters.

I can make a video of it, provided I can figure out how lol

As to how the code resets upon saving/resetting, the game simply fixes the DMA OAM routine upon startup.

Date: 2017-10-25 15:11:51
Okay I understand.

But maybe Torchickens or Crystal_ might, they have both have made plenty of Coin Case videos in the past but this is something new to showcase and many people would find it useful.

Date: 2017-10-25 15:13:19
Glad to hear!

I'll combine this with my shiny code, and hopefully add a Pokèrus code as well.

Date: 2017-10-25 15:31:40
Speaking of videos, is it possible to use this code but with PP Ups instead? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiDi5nb-uoc I just want to know if there is a easier way to get PP Ups instead of the slow cloning method.