Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Arbitrary code execution in Gold/Silver UE using the Coin Case - Page 10

Re: Arbitrary code execution in Gold/Silver UE using the Coin Case

Posted by: Dragon Arbock
Date: 2017-10-22 21:22:13
I wanted to know if I could use it with FMK's code, or if I have to erase FMK's code to use the shiny code. Because that sounds tedious and defeats the purpose.

Also, don't know if anyone needs this, but I went ahead and made a quick reference for the codes for every move;
https://pastebin.com/XSth40BV

And proof, used it to get an Extremespeed Dratini.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2017-10-22 21:29:42

I wanted to know if I could use it with FMK's code, or if I have to erase FMK's code to use the shiny code. Because that sounds tedious and defeats the purpose.

Also, don't know if anyone needs this, but I went ahead and made a quick reference for the codes for every move;

Yeah, you can probably use your code along with FMK's one-off code. I haven't tried it for myself, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the reference!

Date: 2017-10-22 22:57:51
'welcome.

And well, I trial and errored my way into what I wanted to know.
I took a shiny code, and cut off the bottom three Box names so it looks like this;
Ap0'd'vR55
é'm2pp0é5     
éA4p0'd'vQ
é?2p0k55       
55éA4ppp
Then the rest was taken up by 5s and FMK's code at the bottom. It turned my Ditto shiny, but still corrupted box 3's name. But I'm assuming (cause I don't know), the last relevant bit of code is éA4p, then the rest was terminating code?
I actually tried it the first time without 55éA4ppp (so only 4 Box names) and that didn't change the special and speed, so that's why I'm guessing.

Edit;
Seems like it. Shortened the modify pokemon code down to work as such

Box 1:  A  p  0  k 'v  A  5  5
Box 2:  é 'm  2  p [x  x  x  x]
Box 3:  é  A  4  p '5  5  5  5 
[filler 5s]
[box 13 and 14 unchanged from FMK's]

Posted by: FMK
Date: 2017-10-23 01:33:24

'welcome.

And well, I trial and errored my way into what I wanted to know.
I took a shiny code, and cut off the bottom three Box names so it looks like this;
Ap0'd'vR55
é'm2pp0é5     
éA4p0'd'vQ
é?2p0k55       
55éA4ppp
Then the rest was taken up by 5s and FMK's code at the bottom. It turned my Ditto shiny, but still corrupted box 3's name. But I'm assuming (cause I don't know), the last relevant bit of code is éA4p, then the rest was terminating code?
I actually tried it the first time without 55éA4ppp (so only 4 Box names) and that didn't change the special and speed, so that's why I'm guessing.

That's correct, yeah.

As a general rule of thumb, é*2 (Where * can be anything) will usually mean box names are being modified. éA* (Where * can, again, be anything; But most of the time is 4) is also, usually, the target of the prior name change.

So in this case, é'm2 of Box 2 is changing the éA4's A of Box 3, and é?2 of Box 4 is changing the éA4's A of Box 5. (While the modified éA4's are changing values elsewhere, of course)

As an additional rule of thumb, for codes not designed with my one-off code in mind, if you ignore all the 5's in Box names, once you see p 'v 7 'v 'd é * 2 p é D 9 'l 'l A 'l x 'd (Where * can be anything), that's where you can usually stop inputting the written box names, and just use 5's, if you've already used my one-off code.

But to confirm, yes, all Coin Case codes work after using my one-off code without modification, even if they weren't specifically made for it.

On a related note, to modify a TM25 code to work with Coin Case (If you've used my one-off code), it's as simple as replacing the final 'd of a code with a 5.

Date: 2017-10-23 01:41:03
Alright thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind when adapting things to fit with your code.
(Been wondering too, is there any place we should be compiling all this information in a more organized manner?)

Also completely frivolous, but I saw someone did this in gen 1 and I was wondering if it would work here- can I modify a pokemon's type? If I wanted to make a pokemon with one type a secondary dragon type, how would I go about doing that- and would it remain if I put it in a PC? Cause if not, probably not worth the trouble.

Posted by: spamviech
Date: 2017-10-23 04:31:36

Great work.  :)

Also completely frivolous, but I saw someone did this in gen 1 and I was wondering if it would work here- can I modify a pokemon's type? If I wanted to make a pokemon with one type a secondary dragon type, how would I go about doing that- and would it remain if I put it in a PC? Cause if not, probably not worth the trouble.

Don't think it's possible Doesn't look like typing is stored seperately for each single Pokémon.

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2017-10-23 07:00:16

Here's a quick-and-dirty TM 25 Ball Pocket code that I made to teach Ice Beam to Pokemon 5. Due to character limitations, I was restricted to the fourth move, so make sure Pokemon 5 has at least 3 moves before using.

Box 1: Ap0?'vm55
Box 2: é(male)4p'd555

Here's the same code, but for use with the Coin Case (ensure to use FMK's one-off code)
Box 1: Ap0?'vm55
Box 2: é(male)455555
Box 3+ :55555555
Box 13: Leave Unchanged (FMK's Code)
Box 14: Leave Unchanged (FMK's Code)

I have not tested the Coin Case version (I prefer to use TM 25), but it should work as described. If it doesn't, please let me know.

Thanks it worked. Though I used your code first before I read spamviech's post so I ended up teaching my Jolteon Ice Beam instead of Thunderbolt, but I quickly fixed that haha.

The only other moves I was interested in was Double-Edge and Rock slide, but seeing as Dragon Arbock has post codes for all moves I'll guess I'll follow that.

Date: 2017-10-23 07:03:56
^Glad I could help  :)

Posted by: spamviech
Date: 2017-10-24 05:09:12

As a general rule of thumb, é*2 (Where * can be anything) will usually mean box names are being modified. éA* (Where * can, again, be anything; But most of the time is 4) is also, usually, the target of the prior name change.

Just for reference I have a small list of directly reachable box name characters. Since it could become confusing with later used codes I left out terminator characters, since I don't know how they are handeled. Terminator characters (normally 0x50 or 80 in decimal (LD D,B) are written after the | character).
To use it load the desired value into register A using XOR A (p), SUB ('v), OR (0) and AND (?) instructions and then use é*2 where you replace * with the desired character in the list below.
Places with _ are not directly reachable.

Box 1($D8BF to $D8C7): _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_
Box 2($D8C8 to $D8D0): _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|'d
Box 3($D8D1 to $D8D9):'l'm'r's't'v _ _|_
Box 4($D8DA to $D8E2): _ _ _ _ _ _ _Pk|Mn
Box 5($D8E3 to $D8EB): - _ _ ? ! . & é|_
Box 6($D8EC to $D8F4): _ _ _ _ _ /|,
Box 7($D8F5 to $D8FD): 0 1 2 3 4 5 6|7
Box 8($D8FE to $D906): 8 9 _ _ _ _ _ _|_
Box 9($D907 to $D90F): _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_
Box10($D910 to $D918): _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_
Box11($D919 to $D921): _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_
Box12($D922 to $D92A): _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_
Box13($D92B to $D933): _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_
Box14($D934 to $D93C): _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_

Edit:
Something else I found after poking around a bit:

Though Coin Case gives you a corrupted stack and the game would glitch dimension/freeze after ret, you can solve the issue by using the following edits as part of a footer in your code.

xor a
ld (ff83),a
pop de
pop de
inc sp
pop de
or a
ret nc

(Found from deconstructing the box name code here).

There is one catch and something you need to know:

inc sp (hex:33) cannot normally be represented by box characters. However, you can get the ID for inc sp with the following: xor a;  sub fd; sub d0 and then use ld (xxyy),a to self-modify your code to add an inc sp.

This method also has a bad side effect of slowing menus down to an extreme, but after closing the menu if you hold down A and tap down you will be able to move the cursor to SAVE, mash A to save the game and reset the game to bring things back to normal.

If you check the box name code on the speedrun page you may notice a version for less laggy credits. The only difference is éZ (LD [f199], A; A is still at value 0).
If you incorporate this in your code the menu lag is no longer present. Only thing which might require a reset is that the player character is still invisible.

To include this into FMK's one-off code it would then look like this:
Box 1 : Ap0w'vA55    (XOR A; OR b6; SUB 0x80)
Box 2 : é'm2p'v7'v'd (LD [d2f8], A; XOR A; SUB fd; SUB d0)
Box 3 : éA355555    (LD [80f9], A)
Box 4+: 55555555    (Safe filler code)
Box 13: ppéD9éZ    (XOR A; XOR A; LD [83ff], A; LD [f199], A)
Box 14: 'l'lA'lx'd55 (POP DE; POP DE; INC SP; POP DE; OR A; RET NC)

Usage stays the same as before.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-10-24 07:50:56

If you check the box name code on the speedrun page you may notice a version for less laggy credits. The only difference is éZ (LD [f199], A; A is still at value 0).
If you incorporate this in your code the menu lag is no longer present. Only thing which might require a reset is that the player character is still invisible.

To include this into FMK's one-off code it would then look like this:
Box 1 : Ap0w'vA55    (XOR A; OR b6; SUB 0x80)
Box 2 : é'm2p'v7'v'd (LD [d2f8], A; XOR A; SUB fd; SUB d0)
Box 3 : éA355555    (LD [80f9], A)
Box 4+: 55555555    (Safe filler code)
Box 13: ppéD9éZ    (XOR A; XOR A; LD [83ff], A; LD [f199], A)
Box 14: 'l'lA'lx'd55 (POP DE; POP DE; INC SP; POP DE; OR A; RET NC)

Usage stays the same as before.

Ah that's great. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! :)

Posted by: Skeef
Date: 2017-10-24 14:26:23
Say, does anyone know how to enable walk through walls in gen 2? Or know what adress to edit for it?

Date: 2017-10-24 15:43:24

Say, does anyone know how to enable walk through walls in gen 2? Or know what adress to edit for it?

Unfortunatly, there doesn't appear to be an in-game address that disables collisions.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-10-24 16:30:09
If you change addresses CEA3-CEA6 to 08 (or apparently all values 08-0E), it will allow you to walk through almost any wall. However these addresses will be reset after taking a step, so if you want to do this with arbitrary code execution it must be done with something like many uses of wrong pocket TM/HM code execution (as Coin Case requires moving in a specific pattern), or "real time arbitrary code execution".

Date: 2017-10-24 18:29:45

If you change addresses CEA3-CEA6 to 08 (or apparently all values 08-0E), it will allow you to walk through almost any wall. However these addresses will be reset after taking a step, so if you want to do this with arbitrary code execution it must be done with something like many uses of wrong pocket TM/HM code execution (as Coin Case requires moving in a specific pattern), or "real time arbitrary code execution".

Usually when I try writing to the OAM DMA, the game ends up crashing.

Maybe i'm missing something.

EDIT: Just tried it again, worked fine. Can't recall what I did wrong initially.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-10-24 18:31:59

If you change addresses CEA3-CEA6 to 08 (or apparently all values 08-0E), it will allow you to walk through almost any wall.

I usually set those addresses to [tt]00[/tt] out of habit and it works but I'm not sure of how exactly different are the various values.