Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Arbitrary code execution in Gold/Silver UE using the Coin Case - Page 15

Re: Arbitrary code execution in Gold/Silver UE using the Coin Case

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2017-10-29 09:38:42

Congratulations.  ;D

I cheated a bit with Happiness evolutions (they are a pain in Gen2; did that enough as a kid) and with Evolution Stones, but aside from that had a blast with glitchless gameplay.

Glitched stuff is great as well, but that's for another copy.  8)

Well to complete the Pokedex you have to use glitches anyway - so you might as well go all out, G/S certainly gives you the options to unlike Crystal where it's much harder. I completed Crystal earlier this year with 251 Pokedex on cartridge, which involved lots of trading between my Red and Gold cartridges to get the exclusives and performing the Celebi glitch on my gold cartridge and trading it over. But in G/S, you can simply use the Coin Case to obtain those annoying version exclusive Pokemon and sell unlimited Rare Candies to buy a load of Vitamins to evolve those Happiness evolution Pokemon faster, also use those Rare Candies to level up those Pokemon needed for the Pokedex faster, but I never use Rare Candies on my in-game team because that's boring. So the Coin Case just makes some of the tedious stuff easier and quicker. So when I'm finished this Gold file, it will probably come in at around 30 hours less then my Crystal file, because as mentioned it's much faster to do stuff in G/S, and in Crystal I did end up training my team to level 70 and did several Battle Tower runs. I'm not trying to finish the game really fast, but after countless gen II files over the years, it's interesting to see how fast I can finish everything now. Gen II is my favourite Pokemon gen easily.

Also finished a 151 Yellow run earlier this year on cartridge, so after I've finished VC Gold I might move on to VC Yellow and do the same thing. I juut love the old Pokemon games. I've only owned a 3DS for a month and all I've played is VC Gold. Will have to get into the newer Pokemon games eventually, but I'm seriously out of the loop on things - as the last newest gen Pokemon game I played was Pokemon White and I have no knowledge on the any of the new Pokemon from gen 6 and gen 7.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2017-10-29 09:44:41
I myself have ordered Pomemon Gold, can't wait to try this stuff on hardware!

Posted by: spamviech
Date: 2017-10-29 10:24:07

Player Sprite Modifier - Permanent (Old Man; Change 's and A to different values for different results, can replace the 55 for Box 1 with 'v(Another Letter) too, if desired value is unobtainable):

Box 1: Ap0's'vA55 (XOR A; OR d4; SUB 0x80)
Box 2: é9'l55555  (LD [ffd1], A)

Just tried out the code above (with slight adjustment for use with TM25 in balls pocket) on VC (english) and the results are quite interesting:
Moving up/down turns you into a male rocket moving sideways (random if left or right) while moving left/right turn you into one of the girls (think the sister from the one who gives you the squirtle bottle has the same model) looking down.
Getting on the bike doesn't change your model, but you still move faster.

Might try a few more numbers, but so far most restulted in glitchy graphics for the player character.
Just a note: the above code also looked glitchy while in the upper level of the pokémon center, so the sprite might be dependent on the map you're currently on. I was in Goldenrod City for reference.

Tried a few more numbers. Setting it to 0 (as well as flying anywhere) resets it to the usual player charater. Bike graphics work as well.

First interesting Number I found was 0xc (12 in decimal). Turns you into Nurse Joy in Pokémon Center, Old Man in Goldenrod City, Gym Leader in Gyms, etc.
Surfing is interesting in the regard that you become Jesus keep your sprite and just walk on water.

Box 1: Ap0m'va55 (XOR A; OR d4; SUB 0x80)
Box 2: é9'l55555  (LD [ffd1], A)

It appears that every 12th number results in a "complete transformation" with every fourth not looking glitchy but only replacing one direction (left/right, up, down) so you get a different sprite depending on your movement.

Congratulations.  ;D

I cheated a bit with Happiness evolutions (they are a pain in Gen2; did that enough as a kid) and with Evolution Stones, but aside from that had a blast with glitchless gameplay.

Glitched stuff is great as well, but that's for another copy.  8)

Well to complete the Pokedex you have to use glitches anyway - so you might as well go all out, G/S certainly gives you the options to unlike Crystal where it's much harder.

When I have to glitch I don't hold back as well, but in general I try to avoid glitching as much as possible.
Unless it's a save file dedicated to glitching/cheating/whatever is availabe in the specific game. Then I won't hold back.  ;D

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-10-29 10:32:49

I'm not trying to finish the game really fast, but after countless gen II files over the years, it's interesting to see how fast I can finish everything now. Gen II is my favourite Pokemon gen easily.

I juut love the old Pokemon games. I've only owned a 3DS for a month and all I've played is VC Gold. Will have to get into the newer Pokemon games eventually, but I'm seriously out of the loop on things - as the last newest gen Pokemon game I played was Pokemon White and I have no knowledge on the any of the new Pokemon from gen 6 and gen 7.

The classic-era Pokémon games were all directed by Tajiri, except for Crystal, which was directed by Masuda as per the Japanese version credits and according to himself.

https://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir/?p=177

の辺格に業になま

https://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=143

Around this time, my main task changed to the director work. Therefore, the number of the composed music had drastically decreased.

Masuda also didn't originally work on Gold and Silver despite being listed as the game's subdirector.

Tajiri's roles switched from director to executive director and executive producer, and he has alternated between the two ever since Ruby and Sapphire. This may explain the perception that the modern games are "different" and why so many of us are attached to the old games even if we like the new ones, too! :)

Date: 2017-10-29 10:42:37

Edit: very strange, but performing this glitch made the Mystery gift option appear at the title screen when I never spoke to the girl in Goldenrod dept store. It also changed my text speed to medium, when I had it on fast before. o.o

So any idea why this happened when I performed the wild encounter code?

I myself have ordered Pomemon Gold, can't wait to try this stuff on hardware!

Gold is the better choice of the two, better version exclusives (the only version exclusive Silver has better is Skarmory imo, the rest are better in Gold) and Gold has better sprites too.

Tajiri's roles switched from director to executive director and executive producer, and he has alternated between the two ever since Ruby and Sapphire. This may explain the perception that the modern games are "different" and why so many of us are attached to the old games even if we like the new ones, too! :)

Interesting. Though I am fond of the gen 3 games too. I realised this year after replaying Emerald that it is a very good game and the battle Frontier gave the game a lot of life and replay value (wow it makes me realise now I've played a lot of Pokemon this year, Yellow/Crystal/Emerald and now VC gold). I guess for me it's the Pokemon games that have been released on the Gameboy I have the most attachment too and I've played so many times. And now I've finally got a DS after all these years it's been around, I have a lot Pokemon games to catch up on. 

Date: 2017-10-29 17:54:53

Edit: very strange, but performing this glitch made the Mystery gift option appear at the title screen when I never spoke to the girl in Goldenrod dept store. It also changed my text speed to medium, when I had it on fast before. o.o

So any idea why this happened when I performed the wild encounter code?

That's very odd. Say, did you happen to change Box 7's name anytime after using the code (during the same boot of the game)? If so, it is likely the OAM DMA changed an address somewhere.

Posted by: forsyz
Date: 2017-10-30 00:44:09
anyway we could do a catch a trainers pokemon code the problem is it needs to be activated in battle or it causes the battle to glitch.

Date: 2017-10-30 03:21:31

That's very odd. Say, did you happen to change Box 7's name anytime after using the code (during the same boot of the game)? If so, it is likely the OAM DMA changed an address somewhere.

I must of done before I got Celebi as I was getting the wrong poke (first Kingdra then a wild egg lol) and having to change BOX7's name and I'm sure I didn't reset.

Date: 2017-10-30 06:11:17

anyway we could do a catch a trainers pokemon code the problem is it needs to be activated in battle or it causes the battle to glitch.

Nope. Already tried. Results in glitch battle. Catching the trainers Pokemon ends up turning it into an ????? anyway.  :(

Date: 2017-10-30 10:37:43
Finished the Pokedex now but ended up with seen 252, caught 251. I think that might be due to wild encounter code and encountering a wild egg before I encountered Celebi, though that was a error with spamviech's codes at the time. :P Not fussed though, as Torchickens shows you can fill the Pokedex to 256 in G/S if you really want to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQq5BkSO3wI&safe=active

Just need to fight Red now and I'll be finished, but will do a tiny bit of training first, not because I need to but because my Houndoom hasn't even learnt Crunch yet which is annoying, so it seems I'll be getting my team all to level 52, beat Red and I'll be done with under 40 hours of playtime.

Date: 2017-10-30 10:52:21
Nice work!

I should be getting my cartridge around Wednesday.

Posted by: forsyz
Date: 2017-10-31 05:09:14
If you could make the game corrupt itself with ace that would be cool but there would be a risk of also corrupting your save file

Date: 2017-10-31 05:27:30

If you could make the game corrupt itself with ace that would be cool but there would be a risk of also corrupting your save file

The risk wouldn't be that great, the game would have to miraculously unlock SRAM before any save corruption would take place.

Nothing too terribly intresting would occur, the game would probably Glitch Dimension before anything noticable happened.

Date: 2017-10-31 07:06:53
Well that's VC Gold 100% completed. Shoutouts to those who helped me with various Coin Case tricks: Torchickens, Dragon Arbock, ISSOtm, SpunkyBandy, spamviech and Couldntthinkofaname.

Red fight was super easy, more easier then usual as my Houndoom hard counters Espeon which is Red's biggest threat. Even though I've had countless gen II files over the years, it was fun to play with Pokemon I have never used in a run before like Houndoom and Scizor. It was also great to use perfect Hidden Powers for the first time ever, helped give my Scizor necessary STAB and helped Jolteon with necessary coverage against Rock/Ground Pokemon with Hidden Power Water. Biggest highlight of the fight was My Level 50, 7HP DV, Jolteon surviving a Rain Dance boosted Surf from Red's Level 77 Blastoise. :L Also my Scizor OHKO'ed Red's Snorlax with a +6 Hidden Power Bug, but it did crit though. Something also nice with this run is when I caught a Chansey it was holding a Lucky Egg and I don't think I've got one of those before, 1% for Chansey to appear and 8% chance for it to be holding a Lucky Egg. Lucky Egg certainly helped with training during those last few levels.

My team and ending stats:
[img]http://i.picresize.com/images/2017/10/31/SyriX.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.picresize.com/images/2017/10/31/ZXOM0.jpg[/img]

With Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and now VC Gold that's 4 Pokemon playthroughs I've completed this year. Maybe I should play other games now, but Pokemon is just so damn fun. :'D

Date: 2017-10-31 07:11:10
Nice work!

When I get my cart, i'll probably release a code that grants you any Pokemon you wish with flawless IVs. I don't know the full extent of IVs effect on stats, but it might be of some use to those who are stuck on Red (or Whitney's Miltank lol)