Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue using the "8F" item - Page 3

Re: Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue using the "8F" item

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-05-20 08:17:42
Wow. TheZZAZZGlitch just wrote a program for pong and executed it using 8F.

Link: here

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-05-20 14:14:01

Wow. TheZZAZZGlitch just wrote a program for pong and executed it using 8F.

Link: here

looks more like Breakout with no blocks to break, in my opinion.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2013-11-30 20:16:49
Congratulations for your epic discovery!

This thread made front page of Hacker News today, resulting in hundreds of viewers reading the thread and setting a record for the most visitors online on our humble forum.

It's awesome that the server can handle this much traffic today. I remember back in the early days when it went down roughly once a week.

The video is also currently the top post in /r/programming today.

I would award you "Distinguished Member" status but someone beat me to it. This makes me wish we had something higher. Distinguished Member+ perhaps?

Date: 2013-12-01 07:24:19
Wow, that's cool! Congrats TheZZAZZGlitch for your glitch's sudden recognition.

Date: 2013-12-01 10:38:16
Wow. I guess this is notable enough we should have realised it'd get a whole lot of recognition sometime. And to think that it was basically luck that caused it: an invalid item just *happened* to have its function point to a place in RAM that could be easily modified…

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-12-02 16:54:51
This seems to be getting quite the attention! Here's another article that I found when searching HN:

http://hackaday.com/2013/12/02/pokemon-blue-becomes-an-ide/

Date: 2013-12-03 03:52:23
I find it weird that just about nobody giving this attention has mentioned "ws m" in Yellow..

I guess that's what happens when the first post is all people read.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-12-03 06:43:21
Now there are always 20+ people reading this thread.

Date: 2013-12-03 07:01:29

Now there are always 20+ people reading this thread.

Yeah. And how many of those people actually registered? :P

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-12-03 07:43:49
Last member was 15 November. :P

Date: 2013-12-03 13:34:55

Last member was 15 November. :P

0, then.

Meh.

Date: 2013-12-03 14:41:57
I'm working on a cheat code compilation video for "ws m", so I'm basically going to show a lot of different item lists and use them for certain cheats (mainly from Matthew Robinson's code archive) and I wondered whether there was an easy way to make the machine continually write to a value like a real Gameshark? Preferably with the ability to turn the code off without resetting.

For instance, D35A changes the music in the current sound bank when you enter a building, but in order for the cheat to work it must be kept on as entering a building changes it to the intended value.

Thanks in advance!

Date: 2013-12-03 16:48:28

I'm working on a cheat code compilation video for "ws m", so I'm basically going to show a lot of different item configurations and use them for certain cheats (mainly from Matthew Robinson's code archive) and I wondered whether there was an easy way to make the machine continually write to a value like a real Gameshark? Preferably with the ability to turn the code off without resetting.

I don't think this is possible. You can't write to ROM, and gameboy definitely doesn't have multi-threading.

Also, "a lot of different item configurations"? You would only really need to base it on this thing that I did.

Date: 2013-12-03 17:07:23

I'm working on a cheat code compilation video for "ws m", so I'm basically going to show a lot of different item configurations and use them for certain cheats (mainly from Matthew Robinson's code archive) and I wondered whether there was an easy way to make the machine continually write to a value like a real Gameshark? Preferably with the ability to turn the code off without resetting.

I don't think this is possible. You can't write to ROM, and gameboy definitely doesn't have multi-threading.

Also, "a lot of different item configurations"? You would only really need to base it on this thing that I did.

I see, OK. Yes, most of the cheats I've done so far are based on that skeleton.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-12-03 21:30:59
Humourous note: I just went to rename my Onix to what I wanted to change my name to after testing the code at and calling my trainer "ONIX".  Of course, naturally, I now had a different OT and couldn't rename it :D Silly me.