Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue using the "8F" item - Page 31

Re: Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue using the "8F" item

Posted by: Pavel
Date: 2016-09-04 11:00:57
Hello Yeniaul and Torchickens, thank you both for your answer!

There's 2 or 3 items with a variant on the name "ws m". Make sure it's the right hex value. I can't remember much, try the page on ws m for inventory photos. Oh, and ws m is Yellow and has a different bootstrap setup, as it runs from boxed PKMN data instead of party PKMN data. Oh, and both need the Daycare to never be used OR the extra leftover data from the last Pokémon expunged from the save, which I can do in a week or so én masse when my Arduinos get here in like 10 days.

Hm, for the ws m item, I followed the indications presented in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5rov2e6PU), where it is obtained using the ditto glitch with a spe value of 194. So if the ws m item of the US version is also supposed to work for the French version, then I should have the correct one, because I am sure I used of pokemon with a spe stat value equal to 194.

Ok for the bootstrap, yes, I followed the indications provided for Wack0, which are about a box of 20 specific pokemon in a specific order (but the majority of them are asleep and in bad health, following their capture, and my jolteon comes from a lvl 7 evee, obtained through the ditto glitch, dont know if this is relevant to my problem though). Apart from my jolteon, all of them were captured in a legit way, even my scyther.

You are using a correct bootstrap code for the French version (in non-English version European versions the code indeed has to be tweaked, because the addresses are offset by +5).

It's odd that ws m isn't working because if you meet all the item and stored Pokémon requirements the code should work.

Regarding the item position; one thing that may be the problem is if the beginning of your code begins from an item position other than slot 3; as Wack0's bootstrap code is designed to execute your code from slot 3 only; so make sure your item list begins at slot 3.

The place that the item execution begins depends solely on the bootstrap code (how we redirect the code flow from stored Pokémon); so you don't have to worry about ws m executing from the item storage box because that would need a completely different bootstrap code. Using an English language bootstrap code to redirect the code flow to item 3 instead of a French/German/Spanish Italian one may mean that the game would still run the code from D322, which due to the address differences is effectively English Red/Blue's D31E (item 1 quantity).

Additionally make sure that your item quantities/items are correct and the current box loaded is the same storage box as where you stored your 20 Pokémon (the Slowpoke with 233 HP followed by five Slowpoke, Voltorb, Scyther, Jolteon, ten Geodude, Voltorb).

Hope that helps!

Alas, even after verifying everything I could think of, it still did not work, be it the item n°2 x255 script, or the item n°2 change script: my game still freezes.
You mentioned an offset of +5 between the European and the US versions of the game, could it be that this is also relevant to the code being executed by the game when reading the script? For example, if item n°2  is being referenced by an address number, then the code, and so the list item, should be different between European and US versions, right? For example, while reading the topic a bit more, I found posts where people are presenting evidence that some script / items list are different between the two versions, or even between two European versions with two different languages, such as here (http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6638.msg192602#msg192602) and here (http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6638.msg192604#msg192604): there is a difference of amount of 5 for the TM05 item.

EDIT:

EDIT: You're on a French version? Well, there you go. That's the problem. Read the ACE article on the wiki to see the equivalent item.

Ok Yeniaul, thanks for the indication, I will look that up right away. I am sorry, I was so focused on my search on this topic / tread of post in particular that I missed the existence of the other resources of this site : /

EDIT 2:
So Ive read the ACE wiki page (http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Arbitrary_code_execution), and I saw nothing about equivalent items between languages for code in general, though there is a section dedicated to Using 7eme etage in those European version (http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Arbitrary_code_execution#Using_7eme_etage_.2F_P7_.2F_S7_.28French_.26_Italian_.2F_Spanish_.2F_German_Red.2FBlue.29, to which script is that a reference? Is that the name of another object? ), but it seems to be for Red / Blue only.
There is a short section about the yellow wsm (http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Arbitrary_code_execution#Using_.22ws_m.22_.28Yellow.29), but it only talks about the bootstrapping part, and not about an item equivalence between versions.
Finally, I looked up the non-key item duplication part (http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Arbitrary_code_execution#Non-key_item_duplication), which uses different items that what I saw up until now, but it seems designed for Red / Blue; or anyway, it doesnt work either with me : /
Were you thinking about a specific part when recommending me to look up this wiki page, Yeniaul?

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-04 11:46:52
No, you were right the first time. It's for RGB that it's different. My bad. :P
Try healing all of them. It may be the status conditions, as that affected my 8F bootstrap one time.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-04 12:18:25
I think with both TheZZAZZGlitch script for changing item 2 and lowena's script for changing item 2 quantity to 255 there should be no differences, as it doesn't specify the address (as in something such as ld a, D05D) and only alters hl; which initially represents item 3 (when you examine the French Yellow bootstrap code; hl ends up becoming D326 item 3).

In the change item 2 identifier script hl is decremented twice to represent item 2 identifier, which is increased by 1 with an inc (hl), so the code should be compatible. The value of 'c' does not matter and is used because it is easy to represent 'inc c' and 'dec c' as an item.

The code for illustration:
Item 1: 8F
Item 2: Item you want to morph
Item 3: Burn Heal            x43
Item 4: Ice Heal            x43
Item 5: Full Heal            x201

ASM:
Code: [Select]
WRA1:D322 0C              inc  c
WRA1:D323 2B              dec  hl
WRA1:D324 0D              dec  c
WRA1:D325 2B              dec  hl
WRA1:D32A 34              inc  (hl)
WRA1:D32B C9              ret

Date: 2016-09-04 12:26:26

No, you were right the first time. It's for RGB that it's different. My bad. :P
Try healing all of them. It may be the status conditions, as that affected my 8F bootstrap one time.

Ok dok, Yeniaul, thanks for information.
I tried that (healing all the pokemon, and then storing them back in the right order), and I think we are onto something because it did change something: now, after the freeze, my save was gone : /
Well, I guess that was bound to happen at some point, and after all, if using ws m worked for me, I was going to use it for the perfect stats and DV script, which carried the risk of losing the save, according to the author of the nice youtube video showing how to do this on a VC US Pokemon Yellow. I will try again on an emulator, that will allow me to get some practice first, with the possibility to have a backup of the save.

I think with both TheZZAZZGlitch script for changing item 2 and lowena's script for changing item 2 quantity to 255 there should be no differences, as it doesn't specify the address (as in something such as ld a, D05D) and only alters hl; which initially represents item 3 (when you examine the French Yellow bootstrap code; hl ends up becoming D326 item 3).

In the change item 2 identifier script hl is decremented twice to represent item 2 identifier, which is increased by 1 with an inc (hl), so the code should be compatible. The value of 'c' does not matter and is used because it is easy to represent 'inc c' and 'dec c' as an item.

The code for illustration:
Item 1: 8F
Item 2: Item you want to morph
Item 3: Burn Heal            x43
Item 4: Ice Heal            x43
Item 5: Full Heal            x201

ASM:
Code: [Select]
WRA1:D322 0C              inc  c
WRA1:D323 2B              dec  hl
WRA1:D324 0D              dec  c
WRA1:D325 2B              dec  hl
WRA1:D32A 34              inc  (hl)
WRA1:D32B C9              ret

Ok Torchickens, thanks for having continued to look into this. Before I saw your answer, I thought about maybe asking to Wack0 for a compatibility of the scripts I found on this thread between US Yellow and European (specifically French) Yellow; as he seemed to be the one to have worked the most on this non-US versions; but if you are telling me that there is no difference, then I believe you.
I really wonder why it didnt work for me, I hope that using an emulator will make things easier for me to look into this : )

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-04 12:32:53
You're welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about your save file (it sucks and I know it gives me this horrible sinking feeling) and I hope you get the glitch to work soon. Good luck getting it to work on the emulator!

Ok dok, Yeniaul, thanks for information.
I tried that (healing all the pokemon, and then storing them back in the right order), and I think we are onto something because it did change something: now, after the freeze, my save was gone : /
Well, I guess that was bound to happen at some point, and after all, if using ws m worked for me, I was going to use it for the perfect stats and DV script, which carried the risk of losing the save, according to the author of the nice youtube video showing how to do this on a VC US Pokemon Yellow. I will try again on an emulator, that will allow me to get some practice first, with the possibility to have a backup of the save.

Note if you get the code to change your Pokémon's stat experience to work (and many other memory editing/execution codes) there is no risk of losing the save file for successful executions as the code doesn't affect the SRAM ($A000-BFFF; which must be write enabled), but I think the only errors are those in preparation, such as having the wrong Pokémon in the current box or a bad item code setup.

This opens up the possibility of the game freezing, such as through execution of the 'rst 38' (hex:FF) instruction. Since at 0038 is another rst 38 this causes the game to fill the memory with a 00 39 pattern and there is a chance it will corrupt the save file (although I don't know much more about the specifics of this; it could be that the SRAM bank was opened and the SRAM was corrupted).

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-09-04 14:28:08
Hey Pavel, do you know there is a french website on glitches? Check out PRAMA Initiative. We also have a board in which we can help you with glitches in french, which might be cool for you  ;)

Date: 2016-09-04 14:45:17

Hey Pavel, do you know there is a french website on glitches? Check out PRAMA Initiative. We also have a board in which we can help you with glitches in french, which might be cool for you  ;)
Shameless self-promotion is shameless.

Date: 2016-09-04 14:54:48

Note if you get the code to change your Pokémon's stat experience to work (and many other memory editing/execution codes) there is no risk of losing the save file for successful executions as the code doesn't affect the SRAM ($A000-BFFF; which must be write enabled), but I think the only errors are those in preparation, such as having the wrong Pokémon in the current box or a bad item code setup.

This opens up the possibility of the game freezing, such as through execution of the 'rst 38' (hex:FF) instruction. Since at 0038 is another rst 38 this causes the game to fill the memory with a 00 39 pattern and there is a chance it will corrupt the save file (although I don't know much more about the specifics of this; it could be that the SRAM bank was opened and the SRAM was corrupted).

Ok Torchickens, thanks for the explanation.
If that is the case, then maybe I did screw up something about the setup, before my save was erased. I shall find out when I reach this point again. I have found interesting resources here (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pok%C3%A9mon-red-blue-and-yellow-to-be-re-released-for-the-3ds-virtual-console.3555769/page-19) to get to that stage as fast as possible, so as to be able to try it as soon as possible : )

Ahhhhhhh! After reading the first few lines of the page of PRAMA dedicated to the 8F / 'ws m' glitch, I so wish I pushed my search earlier until I found it and before my save crashed T.T !
Thanks for pointing me to it! As I have said above to Torchickens, I will first so a quickrun until I get to the point where I can safely train using this glitch, and if everything works correctly, I will do the same on the VC version : )

EDIT:
It seems the difference with what I was doing earlier is the bootstrapping recipe, as I tried using the one found by Wack0 instead of this shorter one for yellow, according to PRAMA's page (http://www.prama-initiative.com/index.php?page=8f-code-execution). Also, I obtained 'ws m' using the ditto glitch to encounter a certain glitch pokemon, instead of the item underflow glitch. But the item list recipe I used was correct, I am quite sure of that. Oh well, I shall confirm this once my save is ready.

Well, this promoted site seems to be more relevant to my problem than a mainly-English-game-version oriented site, so it is not especially shameful if it answers the problem I have proposed, right? Besides, on the 8F page of the site, credit is given to Torchickens and TheZZaZZGlitch, so everything is fine, right?

Date: 2016-09-04 15:05:25

It's more like, you know, pointing out to a guy that there is a place where people can talk about this in his mother tongue.
Would it has been less 'shameless' if someone else pointed it out? This is stupid. You didn't need to be rude.

Date: 2016-09-04 15:32:04

It's more like, you know, pointing out to a guy that there is a place where people can talk about this in his mother tongue.
Would it has been less 'shameless' if someone else pointed it out? This is stupid. You didn't need to be rude.
Wow, I'm starting to think you can't pick up sarcasm. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I am now, as you've pissed me off. You need to work on being less of an asshole.

Date: 2016-09-04 16:18:23
Well, I've heard that kind of reflections many times, and I can assure you most of the time people are not joking, but just trying to be a jerk. Sorry if it's not your case, though I don't think that makes me an arsehole.

Anyway, if you insult everyone who don't get a joke, then maybe you should work on that, too.

Date: 2016-09-04 17:30:43

Well, I've heard that kind of reflections many times, and I can assure you most of the time people are not joking, but just trying to be a jerk. Sorry if it's not your case, though I don't think that makes me an arsehole.

Anyway, if you insult everyone who don't get a joke, then maybe you should work on that, too.

Check my sig. Blue line. I'm on the Autism Spectrum because I haven't been able to develop social skills (Asperger's Syndrome). And no, you're not an arsehole. More sarcasm.

Date: 2016-09-05 00:33:22

Check my sig. Blue line. I'm on the Autism Spectrum because I haven't been able to develop social skills (Asperger's Syndrome). And no, you're not an arsehole. More sarcasm.

Gotcha. Well, IMHO, as far as I know, when talking face to face, things such as sarcasm or irony transpire through the tone of the voice or the expression made by one's face while speaking. It can also been conveined to someone without those clues if the someone knows the speaker well enough 'IRL', and has had the opportunity to train himself to recognize in which situations the speaker is prone to using sarcasm, so that he can apply his predicting skills on just plain text.
Seing as we are not face to face, nor do we know you well enough, we cannot do that, so as a default, people would tend to interpret your words using first degree, just as they appear to be.
In that case, if you want to convey sarcasm through text to people who do not know you well enough, you can use smileys, who take the role of facial expressions. In this case, maybe an emoticon like ': )' or ': D' (i.e.: to mean that your words were not to be taken for their a priori negative connotations) would have done the trick. Conversely, if you wanted to express sarcasm or irony regarding a sentence that carries a priori a positive meaning, you could use perhaps emoticons such as ': /' or '9_9' (for 'rolling eyes').

I am sorry for your condition, but without knowing this, people will expect you to express yourself this way / to have those skills, and, in my opinion, you canot blame them for reacting as they have been attacked when the sum of their previous experiences tells them they probably have been attacked. Now, a de-escalating approach would be to question 'the attacker' in order to know if he really has chosen to attack one, but you should not count on it.
It is true that you put the information regarding your condition in your signature, but your seems quite long (even though only the first sentences are 'normally big', so people might not read it (I know I didn't, and wasn't aware of your message in it until you pointed it out; but then it might be part of what an be expected of a newcomer to correctly read the signature of everyone who post on a forum; seing as I do not participate often on a forum I do not know if such an etiquette exists; if it does, then I sincerely apologize for not respecting it at first).

I apologize if what I have said sounds patronizing, but it seems to me this is better being said / being reminded, so that I can be sure (I do not know the experiences lived by every one of you) that everyone is on the same page. I should not bother you (all of you) afterwards.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2016-09-05 00:54:29
I am sorry for your condition

Autism is not a condition.

Date: 2016-09-05 01:30:33

I am sorry for your condition

Autism is not a condition.

Since my pratice and understanding of English might be not good enough for this yet (or, since I am not concerned, I apparently never learned how to phrase it correctly in either languages, maybe), I apologize for having used this expression then. Now, according to you, and most importantly, according the the person concerned, how should I have phrased this / made a reference to this?