Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue using the "8F" item - Page 27

Re: Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue using the "8F" item

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-07-03 07:56:52
I don't know if this was known, but here's a shinyzer code created by PRAMA board's member thelinekioubeur. It changes your first stored Pokémon so it will be shiny when traded to 2G games.

ld hl, $DAB1
ld a, $EA
ld (hl), a
sub a, $40
inc hl
ld c, a
inc b
ld (hl), c
ret

ThunderStone x177
TM18 x62
TM34 x119
TM14 x64
Hp Up x79
Poké Ball x113
TM01 x[whatever]

ThunderStone quantity goes -1 in US Yellow, +5 in european R/B, +4 in european Yellow.

Posted by: U_Flame
Date: 2016-07-04 06:08:08

I don't know if this was known, but here's a shinyzer code created by PRAMA board's member thelinekioubeur. It changes your first stored Pokémon so it will be shiny when traded to 2G games.

ld hl, $DAB1
ld a, $EA
ld (hl), a
sub a, $40
inc hl
ld c, a
inc b
ld (hl), c
ret

ThunderStone x177
TM18 x62
TM34 x119
TM14 x64
Hp Up x79
Poké Ball x113
TM01 x[whatever]

ThunderStone quantity goes -1 in US Yellow, +5 in european R/B, +4 in european Yellow.

This turned my 62 TM18s into 35 "ws m "s. Is that normal? I've double checked to make sure I'm using the right items. If it matters, I'm on US Blue  using 1 TM01 and the only Pokemon in box 1 is "'M 'N g" I haven't checked what gen 2 views it as yet. I did try leveling it up to see if the possibly changed DVs made a ddifference stats, but the game crashes when 'M 'N g levels up.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-04 08:24:01
The quantity of TM01 REALLY doesn't matter. I mean it.
And, uh, it seems everything is correct. The ws lm shouldn't be here, and I guess you didn't setup your bag properly.
The listing given by Krys3000 start from item #3 !
The full setup should be something like

Any item xAny qty
Any item xAny qty
Thunderstone x177
TM18 x62
(etc)
TM01 xAny qty
Any items (or nothing :P)

Date: 2016-07-04 10:04:51
Oh of course the 3rd item rule! I was so used to following list setups exactly that I forgot that was a thing. Thank you.

Date: 2016-07-04 10:47:18
Yeah, sorry I did not mention item 1 and 8F/ws l'm, I just copy/pasted thelinekiouber's post and translated it to english. It seemed pretty obvious though  :P

Date: 2016-07-04 12:55:12
Yeah in hindsight it kinda was. Oh well, I got a shiny glitch Pokemon now. Probably won't actually matter if I can't find a way to transfer it but its the thought that counts. Yay

Posted by: Skeef
Date: 2016-07-04 12:57:36

Okay, simple questions, simple answers.

Unless it is saved then loaded, RAM doesn't persist. In that case it won't, but don't assume it will be zero.

There is no official syntax for gb-specific z80 instructions, so here are some aliases :

[li]ldi (hl), a[/li]
      [li]ld (hli), a[/li]
      [li]ld (hl+), a[/li][li]ld [hli], a[/li]

Same for ldd and ld-, etc.
    You are correct, ldi (hl), a is totally equivalent to ld (hl), a \ inc hl

There is a special instruction in gb z80 : ld ($FF00 + imm8), a (as well as ld a, ($FF00 + imm8)
    It saves one byte (thus speed) over ld a, (mem16) and ld (mem16), a

And the gb z80 is little-endian :
    call $C0DE is "CD DE C0"

Gotcha ? I will be writing a gbz80 dev page on the wiki some day. Right now I'm spending a week with my gf, so I'm pretty much occupied :P

Thanks  :D

ld a,($FF00+A2)
So this would be "F0 A2"

About negative relative jumps… Took me a while to figure that out, but i think i got it.

D99B <- 18 || jr
D99C <- FC || jump to D999

This would be it right?

Date: 2016-07-05 06:04:47
When I'm doubting about relative jumps, I remember this :
18 00 (jr @+0) does nothing.
18 FE (jr @-2) loops infinitely.

So what you do is :

In your case, we have
* baseAddr = $D99B + 2 = $D99D
* offset = $FC = -$4 (negative, since its leftmost bit is 1 :P)
So you'd jump to $D99D - $4 because ($FC && $80) = $80
That is D999. You did right !

Oh hey, and a tip about negating :
hex * -1 = (hex XOR $FF) + 1
It's neat to know this if you didn't already.

Posted by: Skeef
Date: 2016-07-13 14:44:05
Right, the last few days i have been working on the pong game. After a few small problems I finally got to a point where my game does not crash when I execute the program  :P. However its not exaclty the pong as it is in the video. There are 2 things not quite right.

The first thing is the screen color. Its not black. Its more vertical lines of grey and white. Something like this:
(its worth noting that I am trying this on vitual console.)

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/4ictcm.png[/img]

The second this is the game over… better yet, there is no game over. When the ball hits the bottom of the screen the ball just dissapears. However the sound of the ball bouncing still plays. Then after a while the ball comes back up from the bottom of the screen into play till I miss it with the pad and it goes under the screen again. So I took a closer look at the code. The "game-over" subroutine starts at $D918. But there are no jumps to that adress (neither relative nor absolute). My guess is thats a small mistake in the code? The following lines a from the code. I think this is where its supposed to jump to $D918 instead of $D976.

cp  a,$11
jp  z,D976_UpdateBallPosition ; If Y=$11 (DEC 17), the lower part of the screen, it's game over

Posted by: Aldrasio
Date: 2016-07-14 19:47:57
Here's one that gives you 1 of every TM in your PC box. Just make sure you're OK losing everything in your Item PC, because it overwrites all the items.

WRA1:d322 2e 3a            ld  l,3a
WRA1:d324 26 d5            ld  h,d5    ; Initiates HL to point to the Item PC
WRA1:d326 0e 32            ld  c,32    ; 50 Decimal, works as a counter and as a Item PC Number
WRA1:d328 13              inc  de      ; padding
WRA1:d329 06 c9            ld  b,c9    ; TM01
WRA1:d32b 79              ld  a,c    ; Loads 50 into A register
WRA1:d32c 22              ldi  (hl),a  ; First iteration, tells PC it has 50 items; after that, loads 1 into each Item Quantity address
WRA1:d32d 78              ld  a,b    ; Load TM value into A...
WRA1:d32e 22              ldi  (hl),a  ; ...then put that TM in the PC
WRA1:d32f af              xor  a
WRA1:d330 3c              inc  a      ; A = 1
WRA1:d331 04              inc  b      ; Next TM
WRA1:d332 0d              dec  c
WRA1:d333 20 f7            jr  nz,d32c ; Loop until C = 0
WRA1:d335 22              ldi  (hl),a  ; Final item's quantity
WRA1:d336 36 ff            ld  (hl),ff ; End of Item PC list
WRA1:d338 14              inc  d      ; padding
WRA1:d339 c9              ret

Date: 2016-07-15 02:33:54
Very cool  :D thanks!

Date: 2016-07-15 10:17:24
The Potion x201 can be swapped with a TM01 x[any qty]… supposing you have one :D

Posted by: Aldrasio
Date: 2016-07-15 10:42:20

The Potion x201 can be swapped with a TM01 x[any qty]… supposing you have one :D

Yeah, but I figured I'd be likely to have potions on hand anyways in normal gameplay. I'm working on a speedrun route where the final goal is to have all the TMs, and the route centers around getting this inventory and using 8F.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-07-15 14:44:57

Yeah, but I figured I'd be likely to have potions on hand anyways in normal gameplay. I'm working on a speedrun route where the final goal is to have all the TMs, and the route centers around getting this inventory and using 8F.

When I code 8F payloads I generally optimize them (adding junk code) to prevent requiring invalid items, multiple key items, multiple stacks of the same item, TMs, etc, where possible. Just so the itemlist is easier to obtain..

Date: 2016-07-15 18:04:09

When I code 8F payloads I generally optimize them (adding junk code) to prevent requiring invalid items, multiple key items, multiple stacks of the same item, TMs, etc, where possible. Just so the itemlist is easier to obtain..

I know, and in my old GBZ80 compiler, I was planning to add such a feature… but I kinda dropped its development, so oh well.