Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue using the "8F" item - Page 32

Re: Arbitrary code execution in Red/Blue using the "8F" item

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-05 09:18:05
Autism isn't a "condition". It's treated as something curable by modern medicine. Autism may be caused by many things: 3 of a certain chromosome, certain environmental factors, certain genetic combinations, even some chemical imbalances. I'm classified as High-Functioning Asperger's, which is approximately 19% on the Autism Spectrum. Since Asperger's can be environmental OR genetic, my kids may or may not get it.

Oh, and we derailed a STICKY. How'd we even do that???

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-05 10:42:10

Autism isn't a "condition". It's treated as something curable by modern medicine. Autism may be caused by many things: 3 of a certain chromosome, certain environmental factors, certain genetic combinations, even some chemical imbalances. I'm classified as High-Functioning Asperger's, which is approximately 19% on the Autism Spectrum. Since Asperger's can be environmental OR genetic, my kids may or may not get it.

I range on the autistic spectrum and have high functioning autism too. I personally like to think of it as part of who I am. Some people don't understand it and think of it as a 'condition' or 'illness' but it is neither, it doesn't debilitate us nor does it mean we don't have the ability to empathize or have a theory of mind.

The spectrum is fluid, like I know in real life I don't always find social communication natural; and have obsessive interests like with video games and glitches, additionally I'm not very good at fine motor skills. Some people may think when they here the word 'autism' that I have a learning disability but the connotations of that may not be entirely true.

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-09-05 15:05:32
im a normal dude who likes glitches and arbitrary code execution

there
now can we get on-subject again so i can continue lurking the thread

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-09-05 16:00:53
Sure. Pavel, I've just thought of something very stupid (however, sometimes it's just stupid things that break everything :P), is that box with the correct Pokémon your current box ?

Or, to try something else, try placing some CT01 in your inventory's third slot. If you get a crash, there's a problem with your bootstrapping setup. Otherwise, the problem came from the item list.

Posted by: naf102
Date: 2016-09-05 18:16:38
All of the 8F codes linked in the front are down so can someone repost those codes in the thread?

Date: 2016-09-05 18:34:03

im a normal dude

Wow…
I'm not going to take the rage bait. I'm not going to take the rage bait. I'm not going to take the rage bait.
[size=32]I'm not going to take the rage bait.[/size]
[size=47][colr=red]I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THE RAGE BAIT.

Posted by: Pavel
Date: 2016-09-05 21:59:27
Ok everyone, thanks for your answer and the information you have provided me. Again, I apologize if what I said hurt one of you. I would like not to continue derailing this thread, as some have pointed out, but I do not feel the conversation has ended yet, because I am still not sure of which short expression to use in order to refer to it / to its presence in a polite / formal way. Can I use trait of personality ? Quirk ?

I am also a bit confused because you said it was not a condition, then you said it is treated as something curable by modern medecine: are you thus saying that modern medecine should stop considering this as something curable (much like it was sadly trying to cure non-traditional gender until recently?), that doing so is insulting toward you, for instance? Maybe, in any case, you would prefer the word condition not to be used, because it is negatively emotionally charged, and you would not want people to behave toward you differently from the way they behave with each other? I am still at loss for now. Clarifying this would also allow to prevent in an easier way the occurences of sentence such as "I am a normal guy." that can be hurtful for persons belonging to a minority (as an aspiring 'sciency guy', I would say a way to put it without any unfortunate implication would be 'I am a more statistically frequent person with regards to what is being discussed.').

But if you and others would prefer that we do not speak of this anymore because it is derailing the thread, so be it

Sure. Pavel, I've just thought of something very stupid (however, sometimes it's just stupid things that break everything :P), is that box with the correct Pokémon your current box ?

Or, to try something else, try placing some CT01 in your inventory's third slot. If you get a crash, there's a problem with your bootstrapping setup. Otherwise, the problem came from the item list.

Oh, that a good idea! From what I have read here, the only thing this object does is encode a return, so that should indeed allow me to understand whether the problem comes from the bootstrapping part, or from the item recipe, nice one!
For information, using a ROM, I was quickly able to go back to the point where I can perform the glitch, now I am attempting to collect the pokemon necessary for the box setup.

Date: 2016-09-05 22:26:32
To tell you the truth I was going to answer you but I forgot the question XD
Anyway, it's more of a name than anything. Y'know, in the way that we're people and not some fucked-up meatbags that just look like humans… which is how society views Autistic people. So… it's a naming convention, like those ever-diminishing middle-names. (Adrian)
So it's not important on a large scale, although those with it have… peculiar abilities. Oh, like the blue line in my signature!

Date: 2016-09-06 12:56:54

To tell you the truth I was going to answer you but I forgot the question XD
Anyway, it's more of a name than anything. Y'know, in the way that we're people and not some fucked-up meatbags that just look like humans… which is how society views Autistic people. So… it's a naming convention, like those ever-diminishing middle-names. (Adrian)
So it's not important on a large scale, although those with it have… peculiar abilities. Oh, like the blue line in my signature!

Hm, ok, so, since we are not in the context of a conversation related to medicine or anything, the use of the word condition was unnecessary, and instead of I am sorry for your condition., I should have said something along the lines of I am sorry that this difference between you and a majority of persons often results in such misunderstanding between you and other people..

Back to the main topic: it worked! On my ROM save, using the bootstrapping team that is tangela-based, using the wsm item causes no bug a priori. I was able to carry out the duplicate item a replace item glitches. But when I tried the set perfect DV and stat experience on the first pokemon in the team (such as described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5rov2e6PU), I encountered a bug: after performing the manipulation, I store the pokemon in the PC so as to force the game to compute its stats anew, but when I try to retrieve it, the game freezes. Also, I noticed that the stats respective value are indead increased, except for the speed stat. I checked this out for two pokemon, a lvl100 Mew and a lvl11 Charmander, and I observed the same thing each time. The charmander itself was not EV trained (and Mew wasnt either), so its speed stat should have risen, even in the unlikely event that its speed DV was perfect from the get-go. So I am wondering if there is a link between the fact that the game froze when trying to retrieve it, and the fact that the speed stat seemed unaffected by the manipulation. Would any of you have any insight regarding this, by chance?

Next Ill try the daycare cloning manipulation, and the receive a perfect pokemon manipulation.

Date: 2016-09-06 13:36:17
The only reason I see for the game freezing is your Pokémon had negative EXP (what 'bout its LOVE ? :P)
Didja really really think I'd stand there and take it offset addresses by 5 in the code ?
Oh, and I guess you should change the first byte in the mon's XP to 0x7F? That should correct negative HP.

Posted by: Skeef
Date: 2016-09-06 16:25:50

Back to the main topic: it worked! On my ROM save, using the bootstrapping team that is tangela-based, using the wsm item causes no bug a priori. I was able to carry out the duplicate item a replace item glitches. But when I tried the set perfect DV and stat experience on the first pokemon in the team (such as described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5rov2e6PU), I encountered a bug: after performing the manipulation, I store the pokemon in the PC so as to force the game to compute its stats anew, but when I try to retrieve it, the game freezes. Also, I noticed that the stats respective value are indead increased, except for the speed stat. I checked this out for two pokemon, a lvl100 Mew and a lvl11 Charmander, and I observed the same thing each time. The charmander itself was not EV trained (and Mew wasnt either), so its speed stat should have risen, even in the unlikely event that its speed DV was perfect from the get-go. So I am wondering if there is a link between the fact that the game froze when trying to retrieve it, and the fact that the speed stat seemed unaffected by the manipulation. Would any of you have any insight regarding this, by chance?

Next Ill try the daycare cloning manipulation, and the receive a perfect pokemon manipulation.

Giving a Rare Candy to you're Pokémon should bypass the need to put it in the box. If its not lvl 100 already ofcourse  ::)

Date: 2016-09-06 20:01:56

Rare Candy to you're Pokémon

why?

Date: 2016-09-06 22:26:34

The only reason I see for the game freezing is your Pokémon had negative EXP (what 'bout its LOVE ? :P)
Didja really really think I'd stand there and take it offset addresses by 5 in the code ?
Oh, and I guess you should change the first byte in the mon's XP to 0x7F? That should correct negative HP.

Ahah, nice references :D I have only started playing the game only recently, but with what I have spoilt myself already, I even got the second one ; ) Being so meta is already reason enough to be awesome, but when you factor in the characters and the musics, it becomes even more than that!

Yes, now that I think about it, it must be because of the offset of +5. The previous two manipulations seemed simple, and not to necessitate the coding of a memory address, according to what Torchickens said, so that is why they worked for me even though they were primarily conceived to work for a US version. Welp, I wont escape it this time, I must delve myself into understanding how you guys do it, so that I can modify the code myself. Now that I have a ROM, I can experiment all I want anyway.

Giving a Rare Candy to you're Pokémon should bypass the need to put it in the box. If its not lvl 100 already ofcourse  ::)

Thanks for the information, Skeef. It is a workaround for non lvl100 pokemon, but on the long run it is better for me to learn how to code this myself, so that is what I will try to do for now : )

EDIT:
Ok, made it work: even without understanding the inner details, it is obvious that the 'X accuracy' number represents at least the part of an address, since we have to change it to affect different stats. Since there is an offset of +5 between US and European version, we just have to start the manipulation with 5 more 'X accuracy', i.e. from a number of 139 instead of 134, and stop at 128 instead of 123. So for an European version, the proper starting item list to use is:
1: wsm
2: any item
3: Lemonade x255
4: X Accuracy x139
5: Carbos x209
6: Poke Ball x119
7: Fresh Water x201

Now trying to make the daycare cloning manipulation work (described here: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6638.msg200226#msg200226). Just taken like this, it does not work for me. I though about which item / item number could represent the address to which I want to add +5, in order to reach 77. After reading the asm code, I think I have to add +5 to the number X Accuracy. I will try this, and come back to tell you whether it worked or not.

EDIT2: Nope, X Accuracy x77 did not work. I really will have to properly look into this.

Date: 2016-09-07 01:23:00

Rare Candy to you're Pokémon

why?

'Cause typos.

Date: 2016-09-07 06:18:56
It'd be kinda funny if in 5 years the Autism posts were still there… it'd be like talking about soup in the middle of a Master's essay to see if …whoever grades those things reads it or not.
Anyway, if the addresses are +5, why'd you lower the number of X Accuracy by more than 60?