Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Paradoxes - Page 6

Re: Paradoxes

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2008-12-31 10:01:38
Counting to i.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-12-31 15:33:43
^Not truly a paradox.
You could count the letters!

Date: 2008-12-31 20:26:37
No, i is the mathematical representative for the square root of a negative number (thus, it falls under the imaginary number category).  Algebra 2 FTW!

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-12-31 22:00:56

No, i is the mathematical representative for the square root of a negative number (thus, it falls under the imaginary number category).  Algebra 2 FTW!
Not just any negative number? i is defined to be the solution to the equation x2 = −1. I.e., i = √−1. Its purpose is to keep negative signs from being under a radical, so that (for instance) we write √−5 as i√5.

Date: 2009-01-01 09:45:24
Oh, ok.  I'm only in Algebra 1, unfortunately.  My parents won't let me skip a grade.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-01-05 06:03:47

(stolen from TV Tropes)

[the Peril Sensitive Sunglasses from HHGG] might actually be helpful in case of meeting the Bugblatter Beast of Traal, as it is so stupid that it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you.
Ah, but in this case, you would not be in peril (since it would think it can't see you because the glasses had darkened), so the glasses wouldn't have darkened.

Mind games

Date: 2009-01-07 19:41:27
(Not a paradox)

You have a friend with two children. She tells you that at least one is a girl. What are the odds that the other is a boy? Assume she had an equal chance of giving birth to a boy or a girl.

Re: Mind games

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2009-01-07 20:11:11

(Not a paradox)

You have a friend with two children. She tells you that at least one is a girl. What are the odds that the other is a boy? Assume she had an equal chance of giving birth to a boy or a girl.

I had a brainfart. And boy, does it smell.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-01-07 21:29:18

50%

Date: 2009-01-07 21:38:26
No.

Date: 2009-01-07 21:46:38
I assumed she had an equal chance of giving birth to a boy or a girl.

Date: 2009-01-07 21:51:37
She does, but that?s not what the question is asking.

?I flipped a coin and got tails. If I flip it again, what are the odds of it coming up heads??

?I flipped two coins, and one was tails. What are the odds that the other one was heads??

The answer to the first one is 1∕2; the other is 2∕3. The same applies here.

Date: 2009-01-07 21:55:14
Well, then I guess I just misread the question.

Serves me right for pretending to be intelligent

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-01-08 20:32:11

Well, then I guess I just misread the question.

Serves me right for pretending to be intelligent

[offtopic]
Dude this is like the first time I have seen
you being wrong.

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2009-01-11 12:40:17
If space-time were to collapse, wouldn't that be a paradox?
Because space-time is basically reality, and if reality collapsed, then there would be just nothing, and 'just nothing' cannot happen.
Aggghhh my brain hurts thinking on such astronomical scales.