Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Paradoxes - Page 8

Re: Paradoxes

Posted by: Missingno. Master
Date: 2009-01-19 20:23:18

Ignore this sentence.

THat ain't a paradox, as explained above.

Person 1: Are you listening to me?
Person 2: I am not.

Person 2 is a sadistic liar.

This sentence is false.

By saying "This sentence", the sentence is not necessarily referring to itself.  For all we know, This sentence could be a name.  Why anyone would name somebody This sentence I don't know, but hey, in that Seinfeld episode, George Costanza wanted to name his kid Seven.  Therefore, it could be simply accusing someone or something named This sentence (or any reworded equivalent, before you say anything) of being false.

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2009-01-19 22:14:27

Ignore this sentence.

THat ain't a paradox, as explained above.

Person 1: Are you listening to me?
Person 2: I am not.

Person 2 is a sadistic liar.

This sentence is false.

By saying "This sentence", the sentence is not necessarily referring to itself.  For all we know, This sentence could be a name.  Why anyone would name somebody This sentence I don't know, but hey, in that Seinfeld episode, George Costanza wanted to name his kid Seven.  Therefore, it could be simply accusing someone or something named This sentence (or any reworded equivalent, before you say anything) of being false.

What the fuck does this have to do with this 'Seinfield'?
And also, you're trying to break the sentence down and guess that it refers to a name, WRONG. When someone says: "This sentence is false" what would be false? A name? A question? A fact? An opinion? It could be anything.

Posted by: boxman
Date: 2009-01-19 22:29:30
Yargh, this one's probably been beaten 1000 times over.
—————————————-
A Man who owns a Time Machine is driving down the street, he hits a pedestrian. The man is shocked at what he has done and rushes to his time machine to fix it. Going back in time to the point when the pedestrian was, the Man sees no pedestrian there. He then notices his past self driving down the road and is hit by his past self.
—————————————–

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-01-19 22:54:26
I suppose these are an object lesson in why to avoid ambiguity.

—————————————-
A Man who owns a Time Machine is driving down the street, he hits a pedestrian. The man is shocked at what he has done and rushes to his time machine to fix it. Going back in time to the point when the pedestrian was, the Man sees no pedestrian there. He then notices his past self driving down the road and is hit by his past self.
—————————————–

I read a science fiction story like that once. Some guys took some ants to the prehistoric past so that they would become a peaceful civilization, then went back to the future because they heard a frightening scream. In the future, the ants had become an intelligent and ruthless race that had killed off humanity, and they captured the travelers and duplicated their time machine. One escaped and went back in time to warn his past self not to free the ants, but the ants knew he would do that and made it there first, killing him as he let out a ghastly scream.

Posted by: boxman
Date: 2009-01-19 23:01:42

I suppose these are an object lesson in why to avoid ambiguity.

—————————————-
—————————————–

I read a science fiction story like that once. Some guys took some ants to the prehistoric past so that they would become a peaceful civilization, then went back to the future because they heard a frightening scream. In the future, the ants had become an intelligent and ruthless race that had killed off humanity, and they captured the travelers and duplicated their time machine. One escaped and went back in time to warn his past self not to free the ants, but the ants knew he would do that and made it there first, killing him as he let out a ghastly scream.

That
reminds me of another science fiction story. However, I don't want to get off topic.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-01-27 10:27:35
All bulbasaurs are liers, said the bulbasaur.

It can't be telling the truth as it is lying and if all bulbasaurs tell the truth that bulbasaur is lying.

Einstein said time travels slower for you the faster an object is moving, proven by muons which usually have a very low half-life but remain longer and can hit the earth when they are travelling at the speed of light.

Imagine you go on a long journey around the universe near the speed of light and somehow survive; so your friend is 10 years younger than you and you are 35 years old but you come back to see that your brother is 41 and you are 39.  Is this really lateral?

Posted by: Missingno. Master
Date: 2009-01-27 15:34:57

It can't be telling the truth as it is lying and if all bulbasaurs tell the truth that bulbasaur is lying.

Who's to say SOME Bulbasaurs are liars and some aren't?  If there's at least one truth-telling Bulbasaur, that means that this Bulbasaur could be lying without making a paradox.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-01-29 23:32:30

FAIL
He isn't saying that some bulbasaurs are lying, he is saying all bulbasaurs are lying.

Who's to say SOME Bulbasaurs are liars and some aren't?  If there's at least one truth-telling Bulbasaur, that means that this Bulbasaur could be lying without making a paradox.

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2009-01-30 18:08:44
Strong, fatty muscles.

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2009-02-01 03:13:39

This sentence is false.

Hm, what about this?

The sentence you are reading right now is untrue. The previous sentence does not refer to a name. The previous sentences are both false.

The following sentences are untrue.
The sentence above this one is true.
Both above sentences, excluding those not from this paragraph, are false.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-02-01 20:50:57

The sentence you are reading right now is untrue. The previous sentence does not refer to a name. The previous sentences are both false.

The first sentence is not the name "untrue".