Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Conficker plans to make a comeback - Page 2

Re: Conficker plans to make a comeback

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-09-04 19:25:36
Pretty much emails, from people you don't know mainly junk. I'll find the wiki link on Conficker, that should help. Wikipedia can show you how Conficker can worm its way into a system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-09-04 19:26:53
Interesting, does mac not support this virus, is it only for windows?

Date: 2009-09-04 19:28:23
It's a Windows system only worm/virus. Here's another link that shows you what verson of Conficker you could be infected with.

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

I can't find other news articals, of Conficker/Win32.Dozer yet, but I'll keep checking 2 days a week.

Date: 2009-09-04 19:29:59

It's a Windows system only worm/virus. Here's another link that shows you what verson of Conficker you could be infected with.

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

I can't find other news articals, of Conficker/Win32.Dozer yet, but I'll keep checking 2 days a week.

Tachi recommends this link for those who don't like to read much!

Date: 2009-09-04 19:33:03
I learn about this thing from the news/Internet. >Click! Is a programme that tells you things that are going on, on the Web, and that was when they spoke of Conficker, and since then I've been wanting to know more about it and how to stop getting infectted. The thing that bugs me is that Vista sucks, (too many updates), and I believe that the creators of Conficker would target Vista, like they did with a hole in XP Updates and this is how Conficker came to be.

Date: 2009-09-04 19:35:32

I learn about this thing from the news/Internet. >Click! Is a programme that tells you things that are going on, on the Web, and that was when they spoke of Conficker, and since then I've been wanting to know more about it and how to stop getting infectted. The thing that bugs me is that Vista sucks, (too many updates), and I believe that the creators of Conficker would target Vista, like they did with a hole in XP Updates and this is how Conficker came to be.

~~
-  Then let them have vista it sucks!
but my poor freind would suffer…..damn too much sides to pick!
well anyways nice website Yami, very informative for us who are lazy and don't know THAT much about the computer!

Date: 2009-09-04 19:39:01
It's not a problem. I was looking for more news on Conficker yesterday and I came across that eye chart of Conficker, and yeah Vista sucks alright but it runs Guild Wars to smoothly. ?? I was looking on Wiki's timeline of computer viruses/worms, and I came across Win32.Dozer but the page doesn't exist yet hell even the page for Rustock.C hasn't been made. It's a piece of malware that targets the rootkits. Dozer, is sort of like the MyDoom worm back 04, but Dozer is performing these DDoS attacks on most sites in the US and North/South Korea.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-09-04 20:04:07
The thing that strikes me the most about computer viruses is their resemblance to biological viruses. They spread and reproduce in much the same way; the only difference is platform and intent. As well, technological and biological warfare are regarded with the same level of terror. I'm just glad that I run Ubuntu.

Ah, but there is one worm/virus that if Vista is infected a 95 machine could get it but no one is sure WHAT Dozer is based on. It was found in the wild, this year. So, 2000 doesn't seem used much anymore, most use Vista/XP.

But the vulnerability that Conficker used has been patched on most PCs.

Also, who the hell uses Windows to run an important network?  That's like using cardboard to make your bank vault.
Alot of people.

Even the U.S. government doesn't use Windows to run high priority networks, and if they did Windows 2000 is so archaic they probably wouldn't even consider it. This is just plain sad.

Date: 2009-09-04 20:31:39
That is true but some are remade to be worse for other systems, like Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 Beta, Windows Vista, and so on. I bet one of these days that there will be a viurs/worm for the Mac systems, as there is a rouge software that targets Mac OS X.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-09-04 21:00:12

That is true but some are remade to be worse for other systems, like Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 Beta, Windows Vista, and so on. I bet one of these days that there will be a viurs/worm for the Mac systems, as there is a rouge software that targets Mac OS X.

…There already are viruses for Mac.  They've been around for years now.

Date: 2009-09-05 09:12:30
There wasn't any viruses around for the Macs, back in my old schools. We had these old ones, but there wasn't any viruses for them. These days there is but not as common as Window viruses/worms. I've look about on Google, and no news has been said of Conficker/Win32.Dozer.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-09-05 14:23:16

So what stuff should I avoid?

Avoid using Windows?

Seriously, though, if you avoid any suspicious emails you should be fine (in particular, no one legitimate will ever attach an EXE to an email). Run a firewall and an antivirus on top of that. Or run Linux.

Date: 2009-09-05 17:13:16
Ugh Linux is slow for me!

Date: 2009-09-05 18:39:24
It's like with me, about 3/4 months ago, where I'd gotten a dangerous Email. I didn't fully open it, since Hotmail had blocked the images/attachments, and whoever the sender was, had put the subject in Japanese, but it had an attachment, and was named as dangerous, so that is what you gotta avoid. Don't open it unless you know that person. I'm sure I read that Conficker sends emails, but I'm not 100% sure, so it might of been a Conficker Email, but who knows.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-09-06 05:11:22
I haven't received any unknown emails yet. Maybe I'm just lucky.