Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Conficker plans to make a comeback - Page 5

Re: Conficker plans to make a comeback

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-09-09 18:46:19
Can't we try and stay on topic?

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-09-10 16:25:09
Hate to veer it semi-off-topic, but I guess Conficker IS making a comeback:

[img]http://i31.tinypic.com/156a7ua.png[/img]

Date: 2009-09-10 17:38:57
What the fuck?

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-09-10 17:43:46

What the f**k?

I agree. What the f*ck?

Date: 2009-09-10 17:50:29
That's…bizarre.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-09-11 09:41:02

Why have I not seen that ever?

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-09-11 15:00:59

Okay…Good Find I Guess….

Date: 2009-09-11 15:07:53
Here's a news report on Conficker. This was posted 4 hours ago.

The Conficker Working Group is now working with the Metropolitan Police Central e-Crime Unit, but even that's not enough staff to tackle the problem.

Rodney L. Joffe was speaking to IT PRO about a recent report that Ealing Council released, describing how the Conficker worm shut down its systems.

He said that most companies didnt talk about being hit by Conficker, and that some likely didnt even recognise that they had been infected by the worm.

Joffe described some of the public and private sector businesses that had checked in with the Conficker Working Group after they had been infected with the bug in the last 24 hours, which included one of the largest retail chains in the UK.

He said: The last couple of days covers the entire spectrum of UK enterprise. In the last 24 hours, banks have checked in, two airports, and eight or nine different councils."

There are four and a half million machines in the UK that are infected currently, he added. People are oblivious to it.

Joffe wouldnt reveal names of the businesses involved, as it was inappropriate - and would also mean that criminals would be able to target the companies vulnerable to an attack.

However, he did reveal that the Conficker Working Group was now supplying information to the Police Central e-crime Unit.

But theres a manpower issue, Joffe warned. If there are 5,000 organisations in the Met area that have been infected, the e-crime Unit doesnt have the ability to contact all of them.

There are two airports that have been infected. They are going to be looked at before the home ISP provider. Theres a limit to what they can do.

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-09-12 00:08:04
Rock out with your cock out! Lol. If you use the internet wisely and have and an up to date antivirus thing you guys shouldnt worry about this.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-09-12 04:49:26
What's a "home ISP provider"?

Date: 2009-09-12 07:28:49
Peachy, shut up and I don't know. The Antivirus gets disabled by Conficker, Peachy. If you'd paid attention to my old topic on Conficker you'd learn more.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-09-12 13:41:23
Switch to Linux~

(now if I could figure out how the hell to make the Intel video driver work with my video card without making it slightly look as if I'm viewing the screen behind hot steam)

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-09-12 13:43:12
already explained why I can't!

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-09-12 13:47:03
I'm just waiting on the new and improved Conficker to kill AVs like some malware can and will do.
All it seems like Conficker is though, is just a delivery vehicle for other malware and is probably being sold out (ie "install your malware for $0.05/machine"). I've been in some of the 'underground' hacking communities before - and you'll see everything from people selling installs of your software to renting out botnets to selling passwords, online accounts, and well, just about anything they can think of.

(And for those asking WTF at my previous image: Chrome, on rare instances, when hitting Back, will glitch up Web pages until refreshed.)

And for those that can get their hands on it - a bootable anti-virus CD is God. I used to use Avast! BART, but due to my FOG deployment, all I have to do is select on my FOG server "Tasks > officebox > Anti-Virus" and then it reboots into ClamAV, scans and repairs/deletes, then reboots into Windows again. (Mugendai, you'd love FOG. I run it on my iBook running Debian Lenny and it makes it dead-simple to image, deploy, and do a lot of fun network/PXE stuff.)

Date: 2009-09-12 14:03:59
There isn't just Conficker, there is this W32.Dozer lurking.