Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Conficker plans to make a comeback - Page 7

Re: Conficker plans to make a comeback

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-09-15 18:24:07
Ubuntu is FREE. said gary M 9

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-09-15 19:57:00
And so did I.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-09-15 20:53:00
I know that, I was gonna say I don't have the money for another computer.

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-09-15 20:58:10
Save your files on discs, portablehd or even usb and go to ubuntu.com, download it, burn the iso onto a disc with iso burning program. insert disk at startup. follow installation instructions. If you choose to install, not saying you have to.

Date: 2009-09-15 21:00:08
I don't plan to. Dozer is still hiding while Conficker is causing trouble over here. ¬¬ When I was in hospital on Monday, I noticed one of their computers had a blue screen of death, since around last year Conficker attacks hospitals, no doubt the hospitals in UK will be next.

Date: 2009-09-23 11:12:01
Sorry for the double post, there's more news on Conficker.

Conficker worm still baffles experts

Almost a year after it was first detected, the Conficker computer virus is still baffling security experts who say it poses the largest threat of cyber crime.

They admit they are no closer to finding a cure or who is behind it, and Microsoft continues to offer a $300,000 reward for anyone who can help.

More than 5 million computers worldwide have been infected by the worm since it was discovered late last year.

Rodney Joffe, the director of US communications company Neustar, says the virus is nearly impossible to remove from infected computers.

He said the virus creates cryptographic links between infected computers which are controlled by an equally malicious and distant server.

"We've not been able to crack that, and in fact it's using the very latest cryptographic techniques, something called MD6, which is something that we don't expect to be able to crack for many years," Mr Joffe said.

He says the people behind the virus can do whatever they like once the computer has been infected, but adds that the latest anti-virus software should prevent your computer from being infected.

"We'd been hoping this was perhaps an experiment that had got out of hand. It's now clear to us that it's a whole lot more than that," he said.

With the virus infecting public school systems in the US, councils in the UK and the French navy, Mr Joffe says they are losing the battle against the zombie virus.

"The people behind this are as smart as we are, if not smarter," Mr Jofee said.

"Each time we've actually taken steps to defend ourselves, they've modified the way they operate and they're now at a point where they're using something called peer to peer."

He said infected computers are slowly migrating to the later version of the virus which is much more difficult to interrupt.

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2009-10-09 13:46:18
I don't think Conficker was ever a threat. Just like the Swine Flu situation, most of the news corporations are trying to make it seem that this is a supervirus that will take down all computers in its path.

I think that if you have updated virus protection, you're probably most likely safe from any attack.

Date: 2009-10-09 15:49:48
You're a bit slow (no offence), I posted that last month and there's been new attacks while this has been ignored.

Awareness, quick response confound Conficker virus

AUSTRALIA'S computer networks have escaped the dangerous and chaotic disruptions that the Conficker virus unleashed in Europe.

Among other damage, it crippled systems operated by the French and German military forces.

Computer security experts say the virus, which can let miscreants take control of computers running Microsoft's ubiquitous Windows operating system, has largely been a non-event in Australia and some do not consider it a threat.

A spokesman for AusCERT, Australia's lead computer emergency response agency, said monitoring had detected Conficker on about 2600 Australian internet addresses – a drop in the ocean compared with the millions of detections overseas.

"We're not talking a lot here in Australia, fortunately," the spokesman said.

Rob Forsyth, Asia-Pacific managing director of antivirus software maker Sophos, said Australia's escape was a victory for media reporting on the virus's movements in Europe.

"I think education has been very good in Australia and because of that education patching was very good. As a country we tend to respond to these things sensibly, without hysteria, and professionally," Mr Forsyth said.

Nevertheless, both Microsoft and the federal Attorney-General's newly established computer emergency response agency, GovCERT, have warned Australian network operators to remain vigilant.

A GovCERT spokesman said the Conficker virus remained a powerful cybercrime tool that could disguise itself.

"Conficker malware remains a concern for Australian internet users because it can disguise itself, making it harder for antivirus programs to detect it," a GovCERT spokesman said.

"While many antivirus products do find the known strains of Conficker, they may not recognise new ones.

"The Australian Government computer emergency readiness team has provided, and will continue to provide, advisories to the owners and operators of critical infrastructure about known strains of Conficker, in addition to other e-security threats."

Microsoft Australia strategic security adviser Stuart Strathdee said the software maker had done "substantial" work with enterprise customers here and overseas to remove the virus but that its impact was "very, very low".

Microsoft has provided a free software tool to remove the virus as part of its regular update service.

Oxford Brookes is the latest to be hit by the Conficker bug that has plagued networks this year.

The Conficker virus has claimed another high-profile victim, this time the computer network of Oxford Brookes University.

The University's computer services department confirmed that the network had been affected by a sustained and significant attack, involving a version of the Conficker virus.

Network services including servers and desktop PCs were affected, and included a temporary shut down of pooled computer room PCs.

A computer services statement said it was busy working on the pooled room computer network, but it had resulted in unplanned interruptions.

There is a considerable amount of work already underway to identify and disinfect infections across the network services," the university's computer services team said in a statement.

You may also find some network services are slow, so please be patient. This situation should improve and well continue to keep you updated.

It supported the head of the Conficker Working Group Rodney L. Joffes contention that the Conficker worm was alive and well, with both private and public sector businesses regularly coming forward with suspected problems.

The Conficker virus is still causing problems, but it looks like Oxford Brookes has recovered reasonably quickly.

Oxford Brookes University has said that most of its systems are now operational, following on from a sustained and significant attack from the Conficker virus.

However, some services remain slightly slower due to the antivirus measures that have been put in place.

The university said it would keep the situation under review, but believed the impact on performance would be "minimal and temporary".

The virus affected servers and desktop PCs after the virus hit the University late last week, causing a temporary computer shut down.

The university's quick clean-up contrasts quite sharply with the possible million pound cost Ealing Council will incur after its networks were hit by Conficker.

The head of the Conficker Working Group Rodney L. Joffe previously told IT PRO that publicised incidents of Conficker attacks were just the tip of the iceberg.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-10-09 16:39:28
It attacked all that and still hasn't attacked me? Wow, I must be luckier than I first thought.

Date: 2009-10-09 16:54:13
You get infected if you're stupid enough to open any emails and clicking the links that come with it, that Conficker sends. No offence to anyone, but it's true. You're fine as long as you keep up to date with your antivirus, you'll be fine. I'll check again in a few days to hear anymore about the bugger.

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-10-13 14:12:55
All Conficker ever really was is a carrier vehicle for other malware applications.

I've seen the underground communities out there. They normally sell application installations on botnets - normally spam apps or clickjacking or really anything - for a few cents per machine. Conficker would be a delivery vehicle allowing these hackers to sell out space on these machines for others nefarious deeds.

Also, fun fact: Look at the Storm botnet of yesteryear. http://hackaday.com/2009/01/16/dismantling-the-storm-worm-botnet/ - is a presentation from the 25th Chaos Communication Congress, a four day conference of everything geeky and hacking over in Berlin. Some researchers owned the Storm Botnet by writing this program - Stormf*cker.