Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation - Page 1

Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation

Posted by: Flandre Scarlet
Date: 2016-02-23 06:23:38
Making this thread as a place for people to confirm what glitches (if any) have been patched in the 3DS virtual console re-releases. On an unrelated note this is my first post even though I have been on this site for about 2 months without an account.

Re: Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-02-23 09:29:10
In one of Nintendo's Japanese commercials, they show the Nidorino in the new game tutorial using Nidorina's cry. This may or may not mean that they didn't fix anything.

Date: 2016-02-23 10:40:08
That is a very good sign. There is a chance that they just didn't notice or care about fixing something as small as a slightly different cry in the intro. The 1st glitches we should test are obviously save corruption (Beat Yellow in 0:00), trainer fly(Mew Glitch), and exp underflow (LV 100 Before Brock).

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-02-23 12:04:54
I bet they won't fix anything.
Like, NOTHING.

Welcome to GCLF by the way!

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-02-24 11:09:29
Some obvious things that were fixed in Yellow include Brock Skip, Coast Encounters and getting the Cooltrainer move. I guess they'll go for these first if they want to fix anything?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-02-24 13:17:22
Why bother speculating when as soon as it comes out we can dump the VC releases and look at the provided ROM and patcher config?

Date: 2016-02-24 21:56:42
I never knew you could dump 3DS roms until this moment (I am not big on 3DS hacking so I wouldn't know what you can and can't do anyway)

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2016-02-24 23:45:12
I'm gonna mess around with RBY day of release so I'll let you guys know if I notice anything lmao, but yeah dumping the VC releases seems like the best/easier idea. Also I really hope they don't fix anything. Pls Nintendo.

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2016-02-25 11:42:11

I never knew you could dump 3DS roms until this moment (I am not big on 3DS hacking so I wouldn't know what you can and can't do anyway)

If they are anything like other eShop VC Titles then they will be very similar to the GB ROM format with some custom headers and slight changes.

In the past you could use the web browser to inject GB ROMs into GB eShop titles. It was pretty cool.

Posted by: Darkkis
Date: 2016-02-25 15:28:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcKQcAffX8o

MissingNo glitch is confirmed to be still working.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-02-25 16:56:23

MissingNo glitch is confirmed to be still working.

thank god

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2016-02-25 18:17:17
Someone dumped all the patches for Red/Blue (EUR) and put it in a paste: Link

It seems that the only patches made were related to the link function, as well as reducing the flashing on animations (to prevent seizures).

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-02-25 18:55:33
I note that here, actual src seems to have been used to create the patcher config, unlike with some other games, like Super Mario Bros DX, where what is obviously IDA output can be seen in the patcher config comments.

I love how pokered seems to have better symbol names than the actual src!

One string, at 0xA29DC is patched, to "Please come again!".

I'm on mobile right now so I can't check myself, but from the comment I'm assuming it was originally this? https://github.com/pret/pokered/blob/b852fe5b421fecd2b75c85bf5da926dd878434c0/text.asm#L2647

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-02-25 19:45:16
that feel when no money :(

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2016-02-25 20:50:50
I'm so glad they didn't touch anything besides the link stuff yayyyy!