Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation - Page 3

Re: Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2016-02-27 11:07:35
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe has Link Cable support, but Nintendo was too lazy to emulate it, so multiplayer features are disabled (and this means that you can't get a couple of album pictures without hacking your save file). It appears that the Link Cable menu was created specifically for Pokémon R/B/Y.
(I wonder what happens if you inject SMB Deluxe into Pokémon Yellow… that could be interesting. Does that actually work?)

Also, glad to know that the Mew glitch still works. I'd like to transfer it to Pokémon Bank one day!

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-02-27 11:59:18

Also, this menu appears after trying to access the Cable Club:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7ceNTFO.png[/img]

I wonder how the emulator actually communicates with the 3DS hardware to display this menu.

I guess that's why the patch config hooks the link stuff.

I'm not sure how do I access Pokemon Bank from this. Still, I can't wait to trade my disobedient exploding Bulbasaurs to Pokemon X and Y.

You can't. Didn't they say you'd only be able to transfer from RBY to Sun/Moon when they release?

Date: 2016-02-27 12:01:19

If it communicates directly with the 3DS hardware, couldn't this be a way to, I don't know, use RBY to run something and hack the 3DS somehow? Just thinking.

That's why I'll be trying to look for an emulator escape when I get the time. If one ever was found, linking hilarity should be the best way to use it.

Date: 2016-02-27 12:25:21
And finally, here's the emulator exe converted to ELF format for easier static analysis. http://lucasm.cf/?n2e4n

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2016-02-27 14:34:35
I managed to run Blue NSC so it seems like everything is running like the old games like everyone has said. The only issue I've had is that a friend told me Yellow NSC can't be run because of something to do with Missingno, I don't remember the details.

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2016-02-27 15:53:22

First the paying Pokébank to transfer Pokémon

Homebrew does, what Nintendon't…

I wonder how the emulator actually communicates with the 3DS hardware to display this menu. Is this menu something completely new, made only for the purposes of this game, or is it just a normal link cable interface for Virtual Console releases? Is there any VC title (besides the Pokemon games) that uses Link Cable features?

Before Pokemon, only NES games (and only a few) had multiplayer (and the 2nd console acted as a controller with screen mirroring).
You can actually find the strings for NES multiplayer ("the game will reset and savestates disabled" more or less), as the official emulator for 3DS is supposed to be unified for each emulated platform (of course features like GB/C multiplayer or Turbografx emulation were added in later builds!)

Similiarly, secure value (anti-save-backup) and lack of savestates were hacked into a regular VC emulator.

As Wack0 said, GB/C multiplayer requires deliberate integration with the game.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2016-02-27 21:48:33

I'm not sure how do I access Pokemon Bank from this. Still, I can't wait to trade my disobedient exploding Bulbasaurs to Pokemon X and Y.

You can't. Didn't they say you'd only be able to transfer from RBY to Sun/Moon when they release?

Nope, it's through pokebank, not directly to sun/moon. There's going to be an update to r/b/y in the future for pokebank compatibility, but there hasn't been a date specified as of now, as stated in a small disclaimer in the direct.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2016-02-28 07:43:57
It's an update to Pokébank, not RBY. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's some patches for RBY later… that fix things that maybe we don't want fixed.

Posted by: Garylaa
Date: 2016-02-28 12:23:20
I swear I can't get missingno on yellow for the life of me. I've never had so many crashes trying to do this before; it usually ends up working eventually. I don't even get the "missingno is trying to learn", it just crashes to red/green lines every time the sprites load.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2016-02-28 14:33:47

I swear I can't get missingno on yellow for the life of me. I've never had so many crashes trying to do this before; it usually ends up working eventually. I don't even get the "missingno is trying to learn", it just crashes to red/green lines every time the sprites load.

One of my friends told me when I wanted to try speedrunning Yellow NSC on VC that there are issues with Missingno? So I couldn't do the run. So this might be something similar? I've run into similar issues using different emulators for that run involving Missingno. I feel like it has to do with how it loads it or something? I'm not sure tbh.

Posted by: phriendlybear
Date: 2016-03-01 03:54:57
i haven't decided which version to purchase from the e-shop yet. If anyone would like to reccommend me their favorite game excusive glitch, i may come to a more definite decision on going with one or the other.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-01 06:27:58
There is no exclusive glitch between Red and Blue. The most easy 8F boostrap setup (this one which doesn't involve PP stuff) does not include any exclusive Pokémon.

Therefore, the question is Yellow vs. Red/Blue.

In terms of pure glitchyness:
- Yellow doesn't have the Old Man Trick, rather amusing glitch but to be fair one of the less powerful 'Pokémon-getting glitch' available. This glitch is more used in US/UK games as a quick way to get MissingNo., but getting MissingNo. in US/UK Yellow is a pain in the ass anyway.
- Yellow doesn't have the Stone Glitch, allowing you to evolve a Pokémon evolving with a Stone without the Stone. This is a cool glitch to use to save some time, but it's not one of the most important one.
- Yellow doesn't have the Cooltrainer Trick. That's a bit more annoying because this glitch is truely awesome (when it works!) But to be fair, we can do pretty much the same with the LOL Glitch, which works in Yellow although it's more complicated to set it up because you need glitch items.
- Red/Blue doesn't have the POS Code Execution. This was a real argument back when we couldn't be 100% sure to use 8F Code Execution, especially in non-US/UK Red/Blue where we can't get pixel MissingNo. using Old Man Trick (which means that if you don't have an available long-range trainer and can't make the Cooltrainer Trick to work, you're basically unable to get the 8F item), so this glitch was an alternative to execute code. But it's not a problem anymore because of Glitch City RAM Manipulation.

Speaking of which, if you guys want to have MissingNo. in Yellow, have you ever tried TheZZAZZGlitch's method to prevent crashes using GC RAM Manipulation?

Date: 2016-03-01 06:40:53
what's wrong with Ghost/Fossil Missingno.?

Posted by: Flandre Scarlet
Date: 2016-03-01 08:02:15
Ghost and fossil only have 3 specific slots and getting a pokemon with 182-184 special with trainer fly is a lot harder when you don't have duplication of rare candy yet.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-01 09:38:25
And if you don't have available long range trainers, you have to have the letters w x or y in good slots of your name to encounter them via Old Man Trick… So no good name, no long range trainer and an unfunctional cooltrainer used to mean no 8F for us europeans :p