Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation - Page 4

Re: Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation

Posted by: Krisp
Date: 2016-03-02 14:52:04
Just checking in to confirm everyone else's frustration with MissingNo. in Yellow, damn that red/green line freeze up! So can anyone confirm a special of 182-184 are the magic numbers? It's going to take a long time to get a special that high. If anyone has a better solution, please share, because I really need to duplicate these TMs. My Flareon is sad with no fire moves. I don't care about masterballs or rare candies.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-02 16:35:04
I don't know how better the solution is, but you can capture MissingNo. in Yellow by several ways that doesn't require you to encounter it. Fossil Conversion, LOL Glitch, Doko-Kashira Door and, of course, code execution, are available solutions but it requires some time and stuff to apply them.

Otherwise, you could still use Glitch City RAM Manipulation (which you would need anyway to trigger those glitches without MissingNo.) to stabilize MissingNo.'s encounter, like in TheZZAZZGlitch's video that I've linked just above.

Also, I'm not sure of how MissingNo. behave in Yellow when encountered via Cable Club Escape Glitch with another R/B/Y game containing it, but I'm assuming it also freezes.

Posted by: Premierball
Date: 2016-03-03 21:57:01
hi all. hope it's okay to enter this post straight in here, otherwise message me where it would be more suitable please.

first, i am a total noob at glitching, just learned 2 days ago how to glitch mons at my VC Pokemon Yellow.

Now, why does the long-range Trainer Glitch has different results? i used this map here from your site, but sometimes i have issues.
http://puu.sh/257S

like, some/many (point of view) trainers are not triggerable, since they won't challenge me after i triggered the long-range trainer in their region!

this happen at route 9 as well as route 11. triggering persons at the MS Anne, as well as the girl from route 10 and some folks in the rock tunnel worked out though. [work out = they challenge me, after battle at the spawning point i get to encounter a pokemon]

next, i had another weird thing - i think. i battled  a trainer in the rocktunnel, but was not sure where i am. then i recognized it, but i did not like the mons he spawned. so i battled two other guys (first i had to, to reach the next who had mons triggerable whcich i liked to get). then i walked out of the cave again, to the spawn point.

the trainers i triggered had as spawing results normally: staryu | pinsir | machoke+slowpoke
what finally spawned was: arcanine ???
i thought, i'd get simply one of the third trainers' mon with my "method" - thought i am happy with the firedog too :)

edit: further, everytime i encountered a choice between missingNO & regular mon, the missingno came out and forced my to close the game ^^" was that just bad luck or does yellow version in such cases always triggers this evil data? ;P

i hope u understand my writings (i am native german speaking) and that u can help me out there, i'd really like to understand those - i guess rather simple since i watched some of ZZAZZ videos - glitches.

Date: 2016-03-04 03:11:48
I'm a not a big expert of using trainer for the Trainer-Fly glitch as I think it's always better to use a Ditto to copy the SPE stat of your own Pokémon. I understand that using trainers for this glitch is a good way to get Pokémon early in the game, but I can't understand why people are still doing this outside of speedruns.

Anyway, I'm guessing that maybe, if you encounter the wrong Pokémon, it's because you encounter a wild Pokémon while going back to the long-range trainer zone, thus changing the value of the 'last faced Pokémon SPE stat'?

Also note that if you talk to a NPC asking for a trade, even while not doing the trade, the generated Pokémon will be different.

Date: 2016-03-04 06:35:49
well thanks for the fast response.

the thing is, i own and played cartrige yellow and blue back then… and did beat them too, so i wanted this time to do sth different.

so i rather tried to play it like "gotta glitch em all" - just the mechanics as said before did draw some error through that plan.
it is simply more fun like this if u know the whole story yet. ;)

also, if these mons will be uploadable to PokeBank, i will have things like my lv4 Nidoqueen, lv7 Gengar in my new games, which is fun because they normally could not exist otherwise :)

Anyway, I'm guessing that maybe, if you encounter the wrong Pokémon, it's because you encounter a wild Pokémon while going back to the long-range trainer zone, thus changing the value of the 'last faced Pokémon SPE stat'?

I thought wild pkmn do not effect this method? Well, that at least might explain the arcanine. i assumed it was like 'SPE stat of last used Pokémon by trainer in battle'

Date: 2016-03-04 07:07:27
No, and that's basically what I meant with the Ditto part. Using trainers for this glitch is cool, but it also works with wild Pokémon. The thing is, you can't know the special stat of a wild Pokémon.

That's why we use Ditto. When a wild Ditto transforms into YOUR Pokémon for which you know what the special stat is, the glitch will generate the Pokémon YOU wanted (using the Decimal column of the big list), without being limited to trainers output :)

Date: 2016-03-04 07:59:16
gotcha; i read about the ditto glitch too, but this mon just at my current state was not reachable - i just did the third badge [and yet got 27 hours playtime and 39 mons in the dex] ;)

will try that ditto glitch too for sure!

my questions were really primarily about the mechanics. like, i don't get why some trainers won't encounter me, while they have a potential pokemon.

Date: 2016-03-05 14:43:17
and guys, i have another rather unusual thing i think. edit:  read next posts, my bad  :XD:

i glitched the third trainer in the Karate Dojo of Saffron City. and really, thy Electabuzz appeared afterwards, but on lv12 - while any other try of the long-range Trainer glitch let lv.7 max mons appear.  :o

Date: 2016-03-05 15:52:56
I didn't know that was possible. The level of the encountered Pokémon is related to the ATK status of the last fought Pokémon, which starts at 07 (foe's ATK is 100 %) and lowers by 1/8 every time you use a move like Growl, going to 06, then 05, etc.

The address used to deal with this ATK status during a fight is the same that is used by the encountering script to store the encountered Pokémon's level / Trainer's roster during that moment when a battle is set (which is why it matches, in the same way that the address used to store the trainer's hex ID when it sees you is re-used to store the SPE stat of the current foe, making this glitch to work).

If you encountered a lvl 12 Pokémon with the Trainer-Fly Glitch, I guess that would mean that some Pokémon are less affected by Growl than others (they would start with an ATK status of 0C). Is it possible?

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2016-03-05 15:58:51
That Blackbelt in the Fighting Dojo has a Primeape with the move Rage, which (in Generation I) raises its Attack.

Posted by: Flandre Scarlet
Date: 2016-03-05 16:01:28
Increasing attack changes it as well like swordsdance or as the person above me just sniped rage.

Date: 2016-03-05 16:10:52
wow, should have considered that, of course. that was at least the solution for this one :)

Date: 2016-03-05 17:01:54
Oh yeah Rage of course. I forgot we could do that also  :P

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2016-03-05 17:56:39
Hello! Longtime lurker here, I never really got to glitch my original red version past glitch city and missingno, so when they rereleased them i got really excited to do all these new and cool glitches and mess with 8F.

So I finally got 8F today and for shits and giggles, I decided to use it without any prior setup. Crash, obviously. But when i reset, my save file was gone. No "the save file was destroyed!" or anything, it was just gone.

Anyone know what happened? I was under the impression that the game wouldnt delete your save file unless you saved with a name thats too long or whatever, or do the new Virtual Console games have emulator inaccuracies or more failsafes?

Posted by: Flandre Scarlet
Date: 2016-03-05 19:08:36
You probably wrote to SRAM and caused a it to crash and then when you reset the save file didn't properly load or it failed a checksum (I think)