Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation - Page 6

Re: Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-05-13 11:56:32

Oddly, I dont see any patches related to printing PC boxes or party Pokémon.

Torchickens has confirmed that printing PC boxes in English Yellow VC works slightly differently from the GB release. For some reason, the error message is no longer displayed.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-05-13 12:41:50
That's right. The printer music still plays but the error box and message doesn't appear.

Additionally:

1) When you select PRNT from the Pokédex, the 'selected' sound effect plays but nothing else happens, like what Háčky described on February 26th. Interestingly, the 'printer' music will not play.
2, 3, 4) When you try to print out the Summer Beach House Printer, or Game Freak diploma, or a Pokémon in the party from the Pokémon Fan Club chairman after receiving the Bike Voucher, the certificate is shown and the printer music will play, but the error box and message doesn't appear.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-05-13 12:55:40

1) When you select PRNT from the Pokédex, the 'selected' sound effect plays but nothing else happens, like what Háčky described on February 26th. Interestingly, the 'printer' music will not play.

Yup. The Pokédex's option even varies between languages in the original Game Boy releases.

2) When you try to print out the Summer Beach House Printer, the certificate is shown and the printer music will play, but the error box and message doesn't appear.
3) When you try to print out the Game Freak diploma for completing the Pokédex in Celadon Mansion, the certificate is shown and the printer music will play, but the error box and message doesn't appear like in 2).

Huh. So they changed more than we thought. The data on the patch files only uses [tt]print[/tt] for labeling the change to the print function of the Pokédex. Other printer functions are not identified in a meaningful way.

Date: 2016-05-13 19:22:31
Something highly unexpected happened when I was trading Pokémon between Blue on a Nintendo 3DS XL and Red on an original Nintendo 3DS (the aim to get a Cooltrainer Ditto early). I entered the Trade Center and bumped the back of my Nintendo 3DS XL.

The Nintendo 3DS XL showed a blue screen on both the top and bottom screen, both said "BOOTROM 8046 ERRCODE: 00F800FF F8F8FFFF FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000. The system apparently froze and I had to hold down the power button longer than usual to turn it off. This was an official copy.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/0en88bp.png[/img]

A cursory Google search says this kind of thing has happened before in other situations (not just with Pokémon), and appears to be related to the Nintendo 3DS firmware or BIOS itself. Luckily my Nintendo 3DS XL booted up properly the next time I turned it on, and it appears like (I hope) all the data is OK.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-05-13 20:00:02
3dbrew says that this bootrom error is caused by both firm0 and firm1 failing the signature checks.

No idea why it would be caused temporarily though.

Date: 2016-05-13 20:24:31

3dbrew says that this bootrom error is caused by both firm0 and firm1 failing the signature checks.

No idea why it would be caused temporarily though.

That's interesting. It was only a small bump from the other Nintendo 3DS and I'm like, "gosh, if my Nintendo 3DS XL (with a lot of data downloaded on it too) got bricked I don't know if I'd be able to sleep" and I'm also a little concerned if it's going to happen again. I was under the impression it was possibly a Game Boy emulator thing and I guess for the moment, it's a good thing in a way I didn't know about this being related to firmware before or I may have panicked (ignorance is bliss in that respect).

However, without further knowledge I wonder if whether the fact I entered the Trade Center and opened up communications was significant. I don't want to bump the Nintendo 3DS again now though, as if it happened again I could probably risk bricking my console and now I'm going to be extra cautious.

Posted by: avemflamma
Date: 2016-05-18 18:39:42
Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I can confirm that the Save Corruption glitch is still in the game. I pulled it off on my official copy of Red and have been having a great time messing around with it. I even got a wild encounter to start up in Oak's lab just by switching around pokes!

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-05-19 06:00:26
When I messed around with the RAM address for Pallet's scripts, I once started a fight with a wild Koffing in the Rival's house. That was unexpected.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-05-19 13:12:11
Certainly. Could you have, by accident, written a hex::37 to $D058 ? That would explain.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-05-19 13:36:53
Nope. I wrote about this on PRAMA's skype group, but maybe you weren't there at this time. I was actually investigating the $D5F3 address, refered as "Have Town map?" on Datacrystal but which doesn't appear to be so, since it goes to 01 as you enter the Rival's house, even when you don't get the map, and doesn't change when you get it. If you turn on some other bits on this address, weird things happens like sudden text box popping, mostly game crashes, and sometimes (but not everytime?) preceded with a wild Koffing. 

However, the program error causing all this mess might also have written a 37 somewhere for some reason, which triggered the fight.

Posted by: Beastachu
Date: 2016-06-08 00:25:15

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I can confirm that the Save Corruption glitch is still in the game. I pulled it off on my official copy of Red and have been having a great time messing around with it. I even got a wild encounter to start up in Oak's lab just by switching around pokes!

What method did you use for the save corruption? I'm not sure if it's just timing, or if it's a safety mechanism on the N3DS, but I've tried shutting the system, killing the game from the home menu & even pulling the battery out n I got nuthin

Date: 2016-06-08 08:31:31

What method did you use for the save corruption? I'm not sure if it's just timing, or if it's a safety mechanism on the N3DS, but I've tried shutting the system, killing the game from the home menu & even pulling the battery out n I got nuthin

The VC release have a Resume/Reset option.

I'm unsure if it's possible to disable it and if you might not have it, but you can pull of the glitch if you try touching "Reset" on the Touch Screen's Virtual Console menu after you press save, shortly after the Yes/No box disappears but before the text becomes blank. The timing must be precise, if you do it too early or late you might get no save, a corrupted unusable save, or a normal save file.

Posted by: Beastachu
Date: 2016-06-08 22:52:18
O thanx! I kinda skipped the reset function as I assumed it would have some kind of safety feature to it, it being virtual console n all.

Date: 2016-06-09 05:28:29

O thanx! I kinda skipped the reset function as I assumed it would have some kind of safety feature to it, it being virtual console n all.

You're welcome!

Posted by: Lost-Paisley
Date: 2016-07-02 23:53:51

Just checking in to confirm everyone else's frustration with MissingNo. in Yellow, damn that red/green line freeze up! So can anyone confirm a special of 182-184 are the magic numbers? It's going to take a long time to get a special that high. If anyone has a better solution, please share, because I really need to duplicate these TMs. My Flareon is sad with no fire moves. I don't care about masterballs or rare candies.

182-184 are indeed the magic numbers.

I hope you find or have found a solution. I have a late reply in case you're still trying to duplicate your items.

If you have access to another Nintendo 3DS with a Pokémon Red or Pokémon Blue, then you can possibly duplicate your items with the "Cooltrainer" glitch.

(On Miiverse, I found a screenshot of somebody who may have activated the Pokémon>CoolTrainer effect on VC Pokémon Yellow because they corrupted the sprites on Route 1 to turn an NPC into a Chansey)
Another method you can use is via "stable unstable Missingno." This is only if you want to start the game all over again to keep a supply of particularly useful TMs such as Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Swords Dance.

Hello there, long-time lurker and I have found a way to encounter Yellow's Missingno.s with stats of 182-184 a little easier. Though the process might be a bit tedious…but it worked for me after a few tries.

1)Do the Mew Trick in Cerulean City (or Route 8, your pick)
2)You need to battle the trainer on Route 3 (the one between the ledges) and use Growl 6 times on his last pokemon
3)You should get a lv. 1 Nidoran when you fly back to Cerulean/R8 (DO NOT SAVE AFTER CATCHING IT, IT MAY NOT HAVE THE RIGHT STAT)
4) Do the Experience underflow glitch; since Nidoran uses the same growth algorithm as Mew, it will reach lv. 100 and evolve
5)Use a Moon Stone to evolve it again into Nidoqueen
6) Its Special stat now should be somewhere close to 180 range; if not, use a Calcium or 2 to get it to the right stat. If it goes over, restart and do the Mew Trick over again
7)Once Nidoqueen's Special stat is either 182, 183, or 184, you can encounter those Missingno. with the Mew Trick with ease (granted you can Fly to Cinnabar and find a Ditto of course)