Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation - Page 2

Re: Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-02-26 07:10:44
It seems the Pokemon Red RomFS contains all the patches. I note that DMGAPSS0.J17.patch contains obvious IDA output. So, they have the src for some versions of Gen 1, but not all?

;222222aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa: pc32 = 0xf9847 addr = 0xffb3 value = 0x0       
;F9843                ld      a, [byte_FFB3]                   
;ROM:F9845                and    $B                           
;ROM:F9847                jr      nz, unk_9866                 
; 000f9843h: F0 B3 E6 0B                                    ; <F0 B3>? 

For the record, here's a zip with all the patches: http://lucasm.cf/?m2nim

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2016-02-26 09:00:35
So who here is going to try to put glitchmon in the pokebank?

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2016-02-26 09:23:55

What a coincidence:
[img]http://puu.sh/nmbNd.jpg[/img]

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-02-26 09:31:25

What a coincidence:

Heh. I doubt that they won't try to block illegitimate Pokémon data from being uploaded to Bank, though. There are link-related patches in the Virtual Console releases. Is it likely that they can issue updates to patch it further?

Date: 2016-02-26 09:42:34

What a coincidence:

Heh. I doubt that they won't try to block illegitimate Pokémon data from being uploaded to Bank, though. There are link-related patches in the Virtual Console releases. Is it likely that they can issue updates to patch it further?

They can issue updates. I'm sure if someone found an emulator escape issue and used, say, a link-related buffer overflow to exploit it, that'd be patched rather quickly.

The link-related patches are probably just so they can hook into the link-related stuff, maybe to make it harder for someone to just use their emulator with whatever ROM they want using HANS or similar (and have link-related functionality still working).

If you can seriously put stuff from RBY into Bank, it'll be interesting to test various things with it; the first thing that comes to my mind being unstable hybrids.

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2016-02-26 10:39:22
[disable_print]
Mode = 1
Address = 0x400ca
Fixcode = 0xE8

This appears to be disabling the Game Boy Printer feature in Yellows Pokédex in the laziest way possible, by making the menu option do nothing. Oddly, I dont see any patches related to printing PC boxes or party Pokémon.

[MiniGame]
Mode = 1
Address = 0xF222F
Fixcode = 0x7F

[MiniGame-HighScorePC]
Mode = 1
Address = 0xF2303
Fixcode = 0x7F

What are these doing? This section of code isnt disassembled in pokeyellow. Maybe theyre just disabling the option for printing Pikachus Beach high scores.

Id love to know how their names are officially represented in Unicode :P

If you can seriously put stuff from RBY into Bank, it'll be interesting to test various things with it; the first thing that comes to my mind being unstable hybrids.

Even Gold and Silver checked for unstable hybrids; I cant imagine Pokémon Bank wouldnt. It might even be smart enough to check for a valid Generation I species!

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-02-26 10:52:31

[MiniGame]
Mode = 1
Address = 0xF222F
Fixcode = 0x7F

[MiniGame-HighScorePC]
Mode = 1
Address = 0xF2303
Fixcode = 0x7F

What are these doing? This section of code isnt disassembled in pokeyellow. Maybe theyre just disabling the option for printing Pikachus Beach high scores.

There's a printer in Summer Beach House for printing Pikachu Beach's hi-scores. Maybe it's related to that? If you accept the request to print, it prints the hi-score; if you decline, it displays the hi-score in-game.

Even Gold and Silver checked for unstable hybrids; I cant imagine Pokémon Bank wouldnt. It might even be smart enough to check for a valid Generation I species!

Let's hope so ;)

Date: 2016-02-26 10:53:29

It is, you're just not looking hard enough.

https://github.com/pret/pokeyellow/blob/3db446ca4fafe72e606428369d716dbdffb92a9e/scripts/beach_house.asm#L16
https://github.com/pret/pokeyellow/blob/3db446ca4fafe72e606428369d716dbdffb92a9e/scripts/beach_house.asm#L135

Both patches change [tt]bit 6,a[/tt] to [tt]bit 7,a[/tt].

I'm going to take a guess that this disables access to Pikachu's Beach (unless you use ws m to call it directly), and, as mentioned, the printer to print the hi-scores.

If so, it's nice to know that my Pikachu's Beach ws m payloads will be getting some real use, since everyone else probably just used ws m to put Surf onto their Pikachu.

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2016-02-26 11:17:06
It is, you're just not looking hard enough.

https://github.com/pret/pokeyellow/blob/3db446ca4fafe72e606428369d716dbdffb92a9e/scripts/beach_house.asm#L16
https://github.com/pret/pokeyellow/blob/3db446ca4fafe72e606428369d716dbdffb92a9e/scripts/beach_house.asm#L135

Ah, thanks.

Both patches change [tt]bit 6,a[/tt] to [tt]bit 7,a[/tt].

I'm going to take a guess that this disables access to Pikachu's Beach (unless you use ws m to call it directly), and, as mentioned, the printer to print the hi-scores.

Bit 7 of $D471 (wd472) is set if the starter Pikachu is in the party, which means these patches make Pikachus Beach and the high-score printer accessible without Surf!

Date: 2016-02-26 11:24:23

Bit 7 of $D471 (wd472) is set if the starter Pikachu is in the party, which means these patches make Pikachus Beach and the high-score printer accessible without Surf!

Thanks. I didn't know what that specific bit did. I assumed it was always off.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-02-26 11:59:26
How the heck did they come with the idea of allowing trades between RBY and Sun/Moon via Pokébank?! Seriously, guys? The GTS is not f*cked up enough so we need to add some 8F-created lvl 255 Mewtwo with 999 in each stats to it? That move definitively killed the idea of trading with unknown people for legit collections. First the paying Pokébank to transfer Pokémon, then this, I think Game Freak really forgot what was the point of Pokémon at first. So disappointed. 

I'm guessing the bank will refuse many things, but I really hope it will be dealt correctly. 1G doesn't have so many checks for conformity, right?

Date: 2016-02-26 12:06:14

How the heck did they come with the idea of allowing trades between RBY and Sun/Moon via Pokébank?! Seriously, guys? The GTS is not f*cked up enough so we need to add some 8F-created lvl 255 Mewtwo with 999 in each stats to it? That move definitively killed the idea of trading with unknown people for legit collections. First the paying Pokébank to transfer Pokémon, then this, I think Game Freak really forgot what was the point of Pokémon at first. So disappointed.

I'm sure Pokébank's checkers will at least keep out such an obvious hackjob as that.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-02-27 09:22:55
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Up7lKjx.png[/img]

[size=36pt]lel[/size]

Also, this menu appears after trying to access the Cable Club:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7ceNTFO.png[/img]

I wonder how the emulator actually communicates with the 3DS hardware to display this menu. Is this menu something completely new, made only for the purposes of this game, or is it just a normal link cable interface for Virtual Console releases? Is there any VC title (besides the Pokemon games) that uses Link Cable features?

I'm not sure how do I access Pokemon Bank from this. Still, I can't wait to trade my disobedient exploding Bulbasaurs to Pokemon X and Y.

Posted by: rortik
Date: 2016-02-27 09:35:36
I can't think of any VC games that require link cables, however when I use the browser exploit to run RBY on the VC, using the cable club does NOT bring up that menu.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-02-27 11:04:00
Yep, Wack0, that sure was a really extreme example. But I'm quite sure a lot of things will pass the Bank.

I wonder how the emulator actually communicates with the 3DS hardware to display this menu. Is this menu something completely new, made only for the purposes of this game, or is it just a normal link cable interface for Virtual Console releases? Is there any VC title (besides the Pokemon games) that uses Link Cable features?

I'm not sure how do I access Pokemon Bank from this. Still, I can't wait to trade my disobedient exploding Bulbasaurs to Pokemon X and Y.

If it communicates directly with the 3DS hardware, couldn't this be a way to, I don't know, use RBY to run something and hack the 3DS somehow? Just thinking.