Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation - Page 5

Re: Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow 3DS Glitch Confirmation

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-06 06:02:31
Yeah I think it probably would have happened on the original game too, who knows what kind of code you called by doing so! Sorry for you  :(

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-03-11 04:07:15
Hey guys, I've been playing Rouge since, well, Tuesday (no kidding there :P) and, after 10 hours of gameplay, I finally bet the game !
Because I am lazy, I always bet the game using 8F after Fuchsia City, since in European versions MissingNo's sprite seems to always crash the game, we need CoolTrainer, and thus Fuchsia City.
So, there is a little piece of code that I wrote that makes the game a lot quicker (NOTE : should work in *every version*, from English Red to European Yellow. I did test it on all R/B's, but on no Yellow) :

Any item ; I have some Master Balls, because everyone loves them !
8F
X Accuracy x56
Carbon x205
Poké Ball x126
Leaf Stone x119
TM01 x(any qty)
(Items...)

corresponding code :
ld l, #$38
ld h, #$CD
ld a, [hl]
cpl
ld [hl], a
ret

As you might guess, this code toggles NoClip each time you use it.
Please note that activating NoClip through standard methods (Safari Zone + ledge…) then using this code will NOT toggle NoClip off.

So yeah, this was probably expected (and I think it was already confirmed), but ACE seems to work in EVERY version -_-.

After all the scandals (Ironhax, Tubehax, Browserhax, Menuhax, and MOAR), I would have expected Game Freak to at least take precautions, but oh well.
At least there will also be a Pokéhax.

Gotta hax'em all !

Any hints on how to escape the emulator ? If not, well I'll be ! (looking for flaws)

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-11 04:22:17
since in European versions MissingNo's sprite seems to always crash the game, we need CoolTrainer

Well or ditto tricking a fossil/ghost MissingNo. :p

Date: 2016-03-13 07:35:56

since in European versions MissingNo's sprite seems to always crash the game, we need CoolTrainer

Well or ditto tricking a fossil/ghost MissingNo. :p

CoolTrainer is that much easier :3

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-03-13 22:45:14
You can also use a level 10+ Mew for Cooltrainer so you won't have to go to Fuchsia.

Date: 2016-03-14 06:42:29
Right, I forgot. Also, I found one of the trainers in Sabrina's Gym (the Channeler in the bottom-left room) yields some Ditto when Trainer-Fly'ed, which gives a Ditto as early as Celadon City, which still is a gain.

Although that'd probably mean double-posting, I'll be browsing the list of Gen I glitches and testing them on my VC, then posting their status. I'll only test those that can be performed on EU versions, though, and won't test save corruption because my preciousss save…

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-03-21 06:12:11

There's a printer in Summer Beach House for printing Pikachu Beach's hi-scores. Maybe it's related to that? If you accept the request to print, it prints the hi-score; if you decline, it displays the hi-score in-game.

Turns out that there is a scrapped patch related to this printer, [tt]disable_print_check[/tt], but it's only found in the Japanese Yellow VC release (DMGAPSJ3.E58.patch). Specifically, it changes the values of addresses 0xE84A5-0xE84AD from [tt]D4 CD 0C 47 AF E0 0F F1 E0[/tt] to [tt]00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00[/tt]. I don't know what they intended with this but it seems they at least planned to patch more printer features.

[BTS 20 A]
Mode = 1
;Address = 0xF9881
;Fixcode = 0xFF
Address = 0xF9CFE
Fixcode = 0x8D

Does anyone know what is this? It's not part of Dmgapse0.h08.patch (English Yellow VC).

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2016-03-21 18:26:26

[BTS 20 A]
Mode = 1
;Address = 0xF9881
;Fixcode = 0xFF
Address = 0xF9CFE
Fixcode = 0x8D

Does anyone know what is this? It's not part of Dmgapse0.h08.patch (English Yellow VC).

It increases the length of each scene in the intro except the first (running Pikachu silhouette) and fourth (surfing Pikachu) from 128 frames to 141, making the intro run about one second longer overall.

The commented-out version would increase the length of the first scene from 130 frames to 255.

It doesnt even slow down the animations, it just makes them play longer. I cant fathom what the purpose of that would be.

Date: 2016-03-22 10:31:20

It increases the length of each scene in the intro except the first (running Pikachu silhouette) and fourth (surfing Pikachu) from 128 frames to 141, making the intro run about one second longer overall.

The commented-out version would increase the length of the first scene from 130 frames to 255.

It doesnt even slow down the animations, it just makes them play longer. I cant fathom what the purpose of that would be.

I see, thanks. I suppose they could have been testing a few tweaks but forgot to delete them from the patch file, especially considering that [tt]BTS 20 A[/tt] is Japanese-only.

Are there any other silly changes like this? There's also the eyesore that is Jynx's GBC-mode sprite in Western Yellow VC but that one wasn't really unexpected. The posters at Summer Beach House weren't patched so you still need a Surfing Pikachu to receive tips.

Date: 2016-05-05 07:21:22
Hey guys, a heads up about test ROMs.

If not(you know about them) Then
  Goto http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Test_ROMs
End
Keep reading

Using totally legit means, we (a friend and I) ran these Test ROMs using the 3DS virtual Console, and the results are… unexpected. I don't know how to interpret these results yet, I'm waiting for him to run more detailed tests, but he seems to be AFK for a month now.

Date: 2016-05-05 08:45:06

Goto http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Test_ROMs;

The semicolon in the URL breaks the link ;)

Here's the correct URL: http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Test_ROMs

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2016-05-05 21:25:25

Hey guys, a heads up about test ROMs.
If not(you know about them) Then
End
Keep reading;

Using totally legit means, we (a friend and I) ran these Test ROMs using the 3DS virtual Console, and the results are… unexpected. I don't know how to interpret these results yet, I'm waiting for him to run more detailed tests, but he seems to be AFK for a month now.

Ewww gotos are icky.

Date: 2016-05-06 07:15:08

The semicolon in the URL breaks the link ;)

Here's the correct URL: http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Test_ROMs

Just edited it :3 (thanks)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-05-07 09:55:07

Just checking in to confirm everyone else's frustration with MissingNo. in Yellow, damn that red/green line freeze up! So can anyone confirm a special of 182-184 are the magic numbers? It's going to take a long time to get a special that high. If anyone has a better solution, please share, because I really need to duplicate these TMs. My Flareon is sad with no fire moves. I don't care about masterballs or rare candies.

182-184 are indeed the magic numbers.

I hope you find or have found a solution. I have a late reply in case you're still trying to duplicate your items.

If you have access to another Nintendo 3DS with a Pokémon Red or Pokémon Blue, then you can possibly duplicate your items with the "Cooltrainer" glitch if you:

1) Catch a Ditto.
2) Transform, swap move 1 with move 2 to make it have move 00 as move 1 after the battle.
3) Trade the Ditto on to Pokémon Yellow.
4) Enter a battle, open the Pokémon menu and close it (important).
5) Open the fight menu to bring up "-", keep scrolling up and down until the music fades out.
(If this never works, TheZZAZZGlitch says you may be able to get it to work if you try increasing or decreasing the amount of increasing the lengths of your Pokémon nicknames but this might not apply if Yellow move 00 gets its name from a different source)
6) The opponent will become a Missingno. hex:32. Capture it (you can easily do this even with a low catch rate Poké Ball) and the sixth item will be increased by 128 if the quantity is less than 127.

(On Miiverse, I found a screenshot of somebody who may have activated the Pokémon>CoolTrainer effect on VC Pokémon Yellow because they corrupted the sprites on Route 1 to turn an NPC into a Chansey)

Another method you can use is via "stable unstable Missingno." This is only if you want to start the game all over again to keep a supply of particularly useful TMs such as Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Swords Dance.

If your Pokémon Yellow has no save file (and the save file was wiped using Up+Select+B); then it is possible to have a (what is at least assumed to be by Pokémon speedrunners) guaranteed chance of encountering Yellow normal Missingno. without it freezing the game.

Duplicating your items and making stacks of x0 (effectively x256) items:
1) Play the game up to Pewter City, avoiding the long-range Trainer in Viridian Forest.
2) Heal at Pewter City Pokémon Center.
3) Buy an Escape Rope at Pewter City Pokémart, as many Pokéballs as you can, and other items (as you want to aim to get 6).
4) Escape from the long-range Trainer.
5) Enter Pewter Gym and have the Trainer before Brock walk up to you.
6) Use Growl on his Diglett six times.
7) Faint to Diglett, talk to the Pokémon Center sign (this gives you a free Pokéball when you return to Viridian Forest due to text box mismatching) and return to Viridian Forest without pressing Start or talking to anything else.
8) Level 1 Gengar will appear. Weaken and capture it.
9) Enter level 1 Gengar in battle, switch it, and finish the battle with it gaining less than 54 experience. It will jump to level 100.
10) Progress to Cerulean City without healing at a Pokémon Center, keeping Pikachu at a low level and preferably beating everyone with Gengar.
11) Battle Misty and have her faint your Pikachu, then finish the battle with Gengar.
12) Enter the Cerulean City Pokémon Center, don't heal, and deposit Gengar.
13) You should have only a fainted Pikachu. Take one step and black out back to Pewter City.
14) Put an item in slot 6 to be duplicated. If you want to duplicate Rare Candies, then you may perform the dry underflow glitch by obtaining a stack of x255 Potions first.
15) Open the start menu. If you want to set up dry underflow to duplicate other items like Rare Candies, have a Potion x1 in slot 6.
16) Encounter the "stable unstable" Missingno. and wait(*) until you can continue. You will obtain x129 of item 6.
17) After the specific no save corruption, you'll be able to throw a Poké Ball and capture Missingno without weakening it or the Poké Ball even rolling.
18) If you want to set up dry underflow to duplicate other items like Rare Candies, use two Potions until you have x127 and then throw the Poké Ball. This will give you a Potion x255 in slot 6.
19) The overworld will be corrupted with walking characters and objects. Save the game and reset before going up, otherwise you may go out of bounds and have the game freeze.
20) Progress to Cerulean City, play normally, and catch an Abra on Route 5; south of Cerulean City (note, there is a hidden Great Ball on the 'highest' raised ground closest to the Route 4 exit of Mt. Moon)
21) Set up dry underflow.
22) Enter Cerulean City Pokémon Center, and step on the exit mat. Swap Ultra Ball x0 in the expanded items pack with Master Ball x 3 (left of mat) or "x" x3 (right of mat).
23) Toss 250 of the Ultra Ball x0 and then step down, to 'wrong warp' to Celadon City.
24) Heal at Celadon City Pokémon Center.
25) Go out and immediately take one step left from the Pokémon Center door. Open the items menu, and you will find a Rare Candy x0 (but really x256). This represents your x coordinate (Rare Candy) and "y-block" (00) value.
26) You can now swap the Rare Candy x0 to the top of your items. To avoid becoming trapped, simply use Teleport to fix the coordinates and displacements. If you want to fix your items, I think you be able to deposit the Rare Candies into the PC, and then buy three more unique items.

Edit: I didn't see that you needed TMs. What you can do is keep the Bide TM from Brock, and then perform TheZZAZZGlitch's (almost) any item trick (but with the TM instead of X Special x1). You can walk left to have the TM number decrease, or walk right to have the TM number increase and moving up/down will toggle the quantities between 1 and "0" (actually 256).

Keeping more than one TM. You will be able to manipulate a TM at Celadon City with TMs other than Bide you may find on the way, and any item with an ID greater than or equal to hex:33 (Poké Doll).

This "stable unstable" Missingno. method can be very frustrating if you are unlucky. Diglett can faint your Pikachu, you may get an encounter in the Viridian Forest long-range Trainer's sight (preventing you from pressing Start after the battle), Gengar may faint from a Thundershock critical hit, and Gengar may break out of all your Pokéballs.

It is a good idea to get your Pikachu to level 7 (or perhaps level 8 where it learns Thunder Wave, but I don't know if Gengar is likely to faint from the Thundershock).

(*)I got this to work on VC release Pokémon Yellow with a cleared save file twice, but on the VC release it appears that you have to wait a considerably longer time for "Wild Missingno. appeared" to come up.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-05-07 15:21:07
Pikachu off-screen arbitrary code execution glitch (A third possible option):

My memory about this is vague, so it may not be a good option as it stands and is dangerous.

The Pikachu off-screen glitch can be used to enable an expanded item pack of 255 (for TheZZAZZGlitch's TheZZAZZGlitch's (almost) any item trick such as TMs x0 [effectively 256]) without Missingno. but it can take a long time to prepare and if your Pokémon for the glitch has a 'bad' Trainer ID (I don't know of specifics sadly) it may prevent the glitch from working.

Additionally, the code I used for getting 255 items had the game run D261 (Pokémon 6 Special EV, IVs, PPs, level, stats data). For that reason having a certain Pokémon in slot 6 may cause the glitch not to work; and if the game freezes with a 00 39 pattern you may risk losing your save file.

Note that I haven't confirmed it on the Virtual Console release.

You need:

A Pokémon with 2242 HP stat experience and 7635 Attack stat experience.

It will be suitable for the trick if it is a level 44 Graveler from Victory Road, knows the moves Take Down, Submission, Earthquake, Explosion, and then fights the following Pokémon, and no more:

71 Krabby, 1 Farfetch'd, 1 Dugtrio, and 1 Magnemite
(Thanks FMK for working this out)

You also need the following items from item 1, which will give you 255 item stacks.

Protein x1
Repel x1
X Accuracy x28
Lemonade x1
Poké Ball x61
Antidote x61
Water Stone x37
X Accuracy x97
TM01 x1

Steps:

1) Have the Pokémon you trained as Pokémon 5, and have working Pokémon 6.
2) Go in and out of the Vermilion City Pokémon Fan Club until Pikachu falls in love with Clefairy. There is a chance of this happening even if you have already been in once.
3) Go to the bottom-left walkable tile (putting Pikachu off the screen), then walk up to the top and down to the bottom of the left-most column 11 times, but for the 11th time step one tile short on the final way back down.
4) Step right, step left, then walk up to the top and down to the bottom of the left-most column 10 times.
5) Step right, then go the top-left tile you can walk to, face right and press A.