Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Game-Breaking Glitches? - Page 9

Re: Game-Breaking Glitches?

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-11-07 19:36:29
Off-topic: I have a big sig, go clicky.

On-topic: I think that GameFreak REALLY didn't want you getting near that grass patch. They knew people would be naturally curious to get there, so they decided to punish them for cheating.

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-11-07 19:47:48
Beh, I don't buy that. Game programmers don't purposely put things in just so it deletes a bad person's game. That's bad policy. More likely they never expected anyone to be able to get in there, so they were too lazy to put any back-up code or whatever there.

Kinda-Off topic- Actually, Banjo-Kazooie DID have a feature that purposely deleted a player's game. In the game there were cheat codes built in, which were easily accessible if you gathered the right trinkets for this spellbook. However, if you activated more than three codes at a time, the game would delete itself. This didn't count for the hidden egg and key codes, since they were useless items that didn't help out any if you found them. 

Date: 2007-11-07 19:54:34
But wouldn't they have known that people would naturally be curious and try to cheat to get there?

BTW about the Banjo-Kazooie thing I had that hapen before, but you don't gather the cheats that can delete the game from Cheato the spellbook-you can just type them in at anything. That didn't scare me-what Bottles the mole said if you refused training in the beginning of the game and then pestered him afterwards scared me. He threatened to delete your GamePak for bothering him. But back on topic.

Date: 2007-11-07 20:06:54
No, actually, I do not. I think they were more concerned with people messing with Pokemon levels, or trying to get Mew. Besides, you can't get there without a GS anyway, or a little-known walk-thru-walls glitch.

Off-topic: LOL.

Date: 2007-11-07 20:11:46
But wouldn't they have at least figured people would be curious as to why there was grass there? Even if that's not what they cared about the most?

Off-topic: He counts down from 3 to 1 as he prepares to erase your Game Pak (it has to be the 5th time you talk to him in a row). He says "You've asked for this…I'm erasing your Game Pak! 3…2…1…" Then Banjo says they're sorry and they won't do it again, and he stops. But off of that subject now. We can discuss that in General Gaming Discussion, I guess…

Date: 2007-11-07 20:20:36
Yeah, but you would also think that they would've fixed that little strip of coast of Cinnabar that lets you summon glitches, Pokemon over level 100, and phantom trainers with glitches and/or Pokemon level 100. But maybe that's just me.

Date: 2007-11-07 20:22:34
Yeah, but they probably didn't think people would have discovered it that easily-it's not that easy to find if you don't know HOW to do it, while the patch is in plain sight for all to see.

Date: 2007-11-07 20:25:07
I doubt they knew about the strip. It was just sloppy programing, like much of R/B/Y.

Date: 2007-11-07 20:27:03
Either they knew nothing about it, or they didn't think that anybody could find it because it was so obscure.

Date: 2007-11-07 21:08:26
Probably they thought they got all the Pokemon-encounter code out of that area, but they didn't.

Something that would count under "hopefully-they-will-never-find-this-out" is the error in the level-up formula that gives most Pokemon negative experience at Lv. 1. If the Pokemon goes into battle and still had negative experience by the end of the fight, it will be interpreted as a huge number and will send the Pokemon all the way to Lv.100. It was found out, however, through the Ditto glitch.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-11-08 19:55:36
The thing about the grass patch is that it's just a border block for Route 1. Since it's a border block and not actual map, the game crashes when you walk in it because it doesn't actually exist.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-11-10 15:54:03
Exactly. Similar to how it freezes on uncharted areas in Glitch Cities. And what is Banjo-Kazooie? Sounds like an old NES game.

Date: 2007-11-10 18:17:25
A N64 game from 1998.

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2007-11-11 08:33:19
I practically have to laugh - Guy has never heard of the great Banjo-Kazooie!

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-11-14 11:40:01
Not everyone here is a diehard Nintendo fan. The only non-Pokemon games I play are first-person shooters and a DBZ fighting game.

Have you ever heard of Duke Nukem 3D?