Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation VI Glitch Discussion

Invalid Pokémon in Gen 6 - Page 9

Re: Invalid Pokémon in Gen 6

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-08-27 19:59:34

Hopefully Citra will be useable soon so I can test all the indexes (If I remember right, X/Y/OR/AS use 2 bytes to determine index, so there's 65535 possible indexes. I may be wrong, though.) which will take FOREVER but it'll be something to do next summer.

You can already run Gen VI in a fork of Citra.

I already tried using Citra's gdbserver stub and an IDAPython script to modify the encounter tables in RAM, but it didn't work, I think because the addresses I had were for a later version of ORAS.

(Fun fact: you can already get code exec in ORAS using a malformed save file. I've been meaning to look into the Secret Base QR code parsing, because I don't think anyone else has, and I've also already looked into the QR codes of Tomodachi Life - I can take any Mii QR code, and then give it any full name, and make it come from any island address, then fix the checksum and encrypt the Tomodachi Life-specific portion.)

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-27 21:01:40

Hopefully Citra will be useable soon so I can test all the indexes (If I remember right, X/Y/OR/AS use 2 bytes to determine index, so there's 65535 possible indexes. I may be wrong, though.) which will take FOREVER but it'll be something to do next summer.

I have a 3.8 Ghz quadcore APU (Desktop version) and 16GB of DDR3 at 1333 Mhz. I can run X with Citra at a WHOPPING 0.94 FPS with serious graphics problems.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-08-28 07:47:11

I have a 3.8 Ghz quadcore APU (Desktop version) and 16GB of DDR3 at 1333 Mhz. I can run X with Citra at a WHOPPING 0.94 FPS with serious graphics problems.

I run ORAS with Citra at about the same framerate, using a much shittier system. Deal with it.

Meanwhile, about the QR codes, seems the crypto, at least, has been figured out.

Therefore, we can modify secret base QR codes, to contain invalid Pokémon / invalid moves on the opponent's side, maybe?

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-28 12:45:33
You don't have to get hostile. God.

I'll post screenshots when I get my computer to stop ruining hard drives the instant they're plugged in. (RIP 3x1.5TB Seagate RAID array)

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2016-08-29 02:09:16
Nor do you.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-08-29 13:01:46
If anyone wants then i can test some hexes on AS on a physical cartridge as I still have access to home-brews.
I also have Y but i don't want to modify my save here.
If i would have modded Pk3DS then i could change some trainer data\wild encounter data to contain invalid Pokémon and look how they react on the opponent's side\in the wild.

Posted by: Duelist Of Roses
Date: 2018-06-30 17:20:46
I wouldn't call these glitch Pokemon. They are more of placeholders. Most will crash the game no matter what you do with them because they do not technically exist. The Bulbasaur and/or Pikachu is just a placeholder and the cry is probably caused by accessing the incorrect files. Unlike in Gen 1, when the sound bank accessed is invalid, it will not play a glitch song. Instead it will not have a cry at all and be silent. Also, apparently it likes to zoom close-up on the Bulbasaur ones.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-01 06:48:35
Even if they're placeholders, they're still glitch Pokémon. Saying this is especially stupid since for example Missingno is partially placeholder (it's name) and partially not (sprite, data, dex # handling, etc.)

Posted by: 0ErrorYT
Date: 2018-07-03 16:06:27
I doubt they are placeholders, because I dont think that gamefreak really cares if they crash the game/ delete saves due to them being cheat-only. If they were placeholders, gamefreak would make an error handler for them, kinda like the gen V error handler. Also I doubt gamefreak would of intentionally had some (but not all) cause null derefs.  Also a lot of them have different/no models. Gamefreak definitely put a little work into them (all 0 stats, no moves/ability) but not models.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-04 03:45:46
Placeholders can stem from error handlers (which is suggested by the NULL derefs, since NULL would imply that the pointer returned comes from a fallback path).