Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Project "Gotta Document 'Em All"

GlitchDex: International glitch Pokémon? - Page 2

Re: Green Version glitches (project)

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2010-04-20 21:10:01
NEW GLITCHES + PICTURES & MOVESETS (IF AVAILABLE)

C2

[img]http://forums.glitchcity.info/profile_pictures/481_1271811726.PNG[/img]

This glitch cannot be caught correctly as it transforms into a Rhydon when caught. Both its types are garbled. It also evolves into 'M and then C3 at the same time (see below.) Its stats at level 9 are: 18 Attack, 18 Defense, 25 Speed, and 30 Special. Its PokéDex number is 234.

C3

[img]http://forums.glitchcity.info/profile_pictures/481_1271815340.PNG[/img]

This happens to be h Poké with a different cry, and a PokéDex screen that does not crash the game.

The moves it knows are basically the same as in the English R/B: Lick, Confuse Ray, and Night Shade. Stats at level 7 are: 15 Attack, 15 Defense, 21 Speed, and 24 Special. It's type is the same, too: Ghost and Poison.

C4

[img]http://forums.glitchcity.info/profile_pictures/481_1271816154.PNG[/img]

This glitch is in the 205 family and has a garbled type. Its moves at level 7 are: Clamp, Spore, Hi Jump Kick, and Skull Bash. Its stats at level 7 are: 38 Attack, 25 Defense, 26 Speed, and 39 Special.

Judging by its palette, it's starting moveset, its hexadecimal value, and its family, this could be the Italian PokéWTrainer, but it doesn't crash the game and it has a real sprite.

Um, Wack0, that code doesn't work.

Encounter code for Italian R/B: 01xx1ED1
Encounter code for Italian Yellow: can't find one yet.
The Old Man Trick works on Italian R/B.
To get proper sprites you have to use the Old Man Trick or the Mew Trick.

Unless I am mistaken, for all languages you can just lower the sixth digit in the code by 1 to get the equivalent Pokémon Yellow code, i.e. the Pokémon Yellow code would be 01xx1DD1.

That only works when going across R/B and Yellow. For example, the encounter code for Green is 01xxBFCF, and the WRAM data is shifted a few bytes from what I can remember.

I would like to suggest that if you are using an emulator, VBA has its own search option. You can check our Big HEX List to look up the hexadecimal identifiers of certain Pokémon you may encounter, e.g. Nidoran(male) has a hexadecimal identifier 03.

When you encounter a Pokémon you can use this tool to search for the relevant identifier in standard decimal (normal base 10 digits 0 to 9) and then search for the relevant identifier again to narrow down the results when you encounter another Pokémon. This way you will likely find the code after about two or three searches.
I totally forgot about that function's usefulness. Thanks a bunch.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2010-04-20 22:13:41
Well since everyone else has done something…
JAPANESE BLUE:

00: Equivalent of English 'M.
Notes: Has same cry as English 'M; Pokédex entry shows after capture, which transforms glitch into a Rhydon; stays in battle after capture, where it can be captured multiple times; takes more time to load stats screen than other Pokémon; takes longer time to get out of Poké Ball in the battle screen, and music glitches up.

Pic 1: Encountered in battle
Pic 2: Pokédex
Pic 3: Stat screen

Level 2 moveset:
Haze
TM08
TM14
TM01

1F: Equivalent of English MissingNo.
Notes: Nidoran (M) cry; no Pokédex viewing upon capture; need to press A multiple times to view stats; takes longer time to get out of Poké Ball in battle which glitches up the music.

Pic 4: Encountered in battle

Moveset at Level 2:
Same as 00.

B5: Same as 1F, with different cry.

B6: Equivalent of English Kabutops Fossil MissingNo.
Notes: Not always Kabutops Fossil sprite, sometimes has a unique sprite; same effect with moveset and typing as English counterpart; sometimes takes back sprite of enemy Pokémon.

Pic 5: Encountered in battle
Pic 6: Stat screen

B7: Equivalent of English Aerodactyl Fossil MissingNo.
Notes: Not always Aerodactyl Fossil sprite, sometimes has a unique sprite; same effect with moveset and typing as English counterpart; sometimes takes back sprite of enemy Pokémon.

Pic 7: Encountered in battle
Pic 8: Stealing enemy back sprite

As a side note, I discovered you can't walk into buildings normally. The game will freeze if you run into a wall or other immovable object.

Date: 2010-04-21 19:06:51
Thanks, Bassmasta. That's a big help in this project.

I also totally forgot about the Italian MissingNo and 'M.

They have the same cries, but their sprite crashes the game. MissingNo and 'M's moveset in the Italian version is Water Gun, and Sky Attack, not Water Gun, Water Gun, and Sky Attack.

If you use a code to view MissingNo's PokéDex entry, it happens to glitch up the music and has a slight chance of setting the BGM to Vermilion's music (use 010923D3.)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-04-22 11:03:14
Any chance of translations of the names of those Japanese glitches ?

Date: 2010-04-22 17:55:40

Any chance of translations of the names of those Japanese glitches ?

The symbol at the beginning of the Japanese 'M seems to be a Katakana diacritic symbol that doesn't exist ("i" with the dakuten), but the other symbol happens to be "zo."

Bassmasta basically was just showing 'M and MissingNo in the Japanese Blue.

Pretty interesting, the Green version MissingNo and 'M crash the game while this one doesn't, and it knows Haze, TM08, TM14, and TM01 rather than Water Gun, Water Gun, and Sky Attack.

MORE ITALIAN BLUE GLITCHES

C5

This glitch's name is PKMNUBAa (some accented symbols), it's in the 250 family, and also has a garbled type. Its cry is an exaggerated, slowed-down Charmander cry. Its stats at level 2 are: 12 Attack, 12 Defense, 12 Speed, and 5 Special. It's moves at level 2 are: Spike Cannon, (and a glitch move that requires you to press A a lot to show it.)

It also crashes the game when appearing, so there's no image for it.

C6

[img]http://forums.glitchcity.info/profile_pictures/481_1271978701.PNG[/img]

This could be the Italian LM4, but with a different name. It's PokéDex data is extremely garbled and takes a long time for it to finish. It's summary screen cry is the same as LM4's. Its moves at level 7 are: Hypnosis, Water Gun, Scratch, and Cut. Its stats at level 7 are: 18 Attack, 19 Defense, 16 Speed, and 15 Special.

C7

[img]http://forums.glitchcity.info/profile_pictures/481_1271979107.PNG[/img]

The picture explains the name. Its stats at level 7 are: 39 Attack, 24 Defense, 26 Speed, and 37 Special. Its moves at level 7 are: Pound (or Clamp; they have the same name in-game), Fly, Thunderbolt, and Razor Leaf. It's also in the 205 family, and has a garbled type.

I will try to provide images for these Pokémon if the "trainers" do not crash the game.

C8

[img]http://forums.glitchcity.info/profile_pictures/481_1271979554.PNG[/img]

This glitch is in the 234 family and has a weird Hypno cry, and its type is also garbled. Its stats at level 10 are: 14 Attack, 25 Defense, 14 Speed, and 24 Special. Its moves at level 10 are: Clamp, Psychic, Conversion, and Psychic.

Re: Foreign language R/B glitches (project)

Date: 2010-04-23 09:56:30
Want to correct you on that first post: in Japan, Red/Green came first, then Blue, then Yellow.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2010-04-23 14:53:37
I never would've thought that translating a game would create new pieces of data. (These Pokemon are "new," right?) Perhaps extra characters require data? I always assumed that they were EXACT copies, no extra Glitch Pokemon or anything. Guess I was wrong then.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-04-25 03:51:01

I never would've thought that translating a game would create new pieces of data. (These Pokemon are "new," right?) Perhaps extra characters require data? I always assumed that they were EXACT copies, no extra Glitch Pokemon or anything. Guess I was wrong then.

Even if the game is changed a little bit, the values in the species byte for invalid pokémon will still draw out their data from the nearest valid byte (for information about moveset, sprite, cry etc). Such glitch pokémon would be changed quite a lot even after a 'few translations', because the data managing what each character says (letter by letter) can take up a very large spread of information. Considering Pokémon Red (English) and Pokémon Green (Japan) for example, that is a lot of translations.

Perhaps extra characters require data

Yes; Nintendo cannot just 'slip' those characters into the empty slots because as illustrated by 'glitchy blocks' those empty slots account for other data. Extra space on the ROM image would be needed to reduce the amount of bad side effects.

Date: 2010-04-25 09:06:58
And of course, some glitch Pokémon in translated games are just the ones we know and love, with a name change. (for example, Italian LM4)

Posted by: Darkness_LordII
Date: 2010-04-26 15:07:04
If I take for example LM4, it is the same pokemon  in each pokemon red known in existence. The main difference may be one or many of the following

Cry
Attack
Level
Name

He has the same sprite in all version as I KNOW but im not sure if it is really the case (I don't know about the italian and german release)

This is a very interesing research, I would go and check out for the French version , but I don't have alot of time.

Foreign language R/B glitches (project)

Date: 2010-05-01 10:57:32
Oh crud, I almost let this thread die!

Got off-hand with the glitch thing with ROM hacking. Sorry.

Apparently I've stopped the Italian Blue version for now, because I was going super-slow with that. Now I'm doing the German Blue glitches, but these don't have much differences, unfortunately:

BF

This glitch has a PokéFlute cry, but gives two "unknown opcode" errors when it is encountered with the code on. It's name is "( |", is in the 250 family, but unfortunately turns into a Rhydon when caught.

C0

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/Missingnoguy55/c0german.png[/img]

This glitch is just "a", basically.

C1

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/Missingnoguy55/c1german.png[/img]

This glitch is the JP symbol, but does not crash the game when appearing. It has an exaggerated Psyduck cry, is in the 205 family, but turns into a Rhydon when caught.

C2

This glitch crashes the game when appearing. It has a Fly screen selecting cry, and has a dark crimson & red palette. It's name is 4 (basically .4 without the period), and it's in the 234 family. It also turns into a Rhydon when caught, though. It's type is [blank]/Water, as well.

C3

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/Missingnoguy55/c3german.png[/img]

This is once again an unchanged h Poké with the same moveset and everything.

EDIT: I was apparently not using the Ditto Trick for these glitches, so I'll have to get new images later right now.

EDIT 2: I got the Ditto Trick images now.

Date: 2010-05-07 12:18:15
Got these from another site..well..TRS.
It's ????? (252 ?) in japanese :)
[img]http://www.trsrockin.com/images/gs_mn_japan.gif[/img]

Date: 2010-05-07 13:10:26

Got these from another site..well..TRS.
It's ????? (252 ?) in japanese :)
[img]http://www.trsrockin.com/images/gs_mn_japan.gif[/img]

I remember those from a looooooooong time ago, probably from 2006 when I was still in 6th grade or maybe even earlier.

I miss that year.

EDIT: Wow, this thread has been inactive for a while! I have a lot of testing this week, so can somebody do some research? I really want to not strain my brain while being anxious for this.

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2010-08-04 22:48:18
I did a bit of research of the Spanish version of Red some time ago… and here are my findings. First, the Old Man Glitch seems to have been fixed in the Spanish versions of Red/Blue (if you try it, all you find is Tentacool), so the only way to find MissingNo. is through the Mew Glitch. So, I did that glitch with a Special of 32, and this is what I found:

[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/34rt76b.jpg[/img]

Yep, it looks different. Thing is, every time I find MissingNo., it looks different every time for some reason, as opposed to that L-shaped thing that everybody's familiar with.

Not only that, but it knows Hi Jump Kick, Headbutt, and Pay Day. The second moveslot is blank, which has some weird side effects. A wild MissingNo. can use all three of its moves all it wants, but if you catch one, only Hi Jump Kick will be usable until it learns a second move (like by TM). IIRC, using Mimic or Transform will only copy the first move (Hi Jump Kick) as well. Interesting.

Its cry sounds the same as it does in English Red/Blue.

On a completely unrelated note, not only was the Old Man glitch fixed, but the Man on the Roof glitch was too. This is the one in Cinnabar Island where if you Surf and walk in front of the gym without the Secret Key, there is a man floating on the roof. This doesn't work in the Spanish version.

Date: 2010-08-04 22:50:36
That's something interesting to note in the Spanish edition.

Nice find!