Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Project "Gotta Document 'Em All"

GlitchDex: International glitch Pokémon? - Page 7

Re: Foreign language R/B glitches (project)

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2016-03-17 16:38:57
I've recently started work on the Itemdex for German Blue version. I have previously worked on Spanish Yellow, but never completed my research. However I'm wanting to focus on one game at a time, and I've decided to go with German Blue for this project. Bellow is itemdex research for items $00, $54-$5D, and $84-$87. I will continue to document other items. I've spent about two hours on this small list so far, so I'm taking a break for now and will be returning to it later on tonight. Let me know if the image links ever become broken, I'm using Postimage for my image host since imgur doesn't allow hotlinking on forums anymore from what I've heard and Imageshack costs money now. :\ Also let me know if I misspelled anything. English is literally the only language I know. :P

Hex $00 Name SCHAUFLER (DIG in English)
Effect in Overworld: Crashes Game
Effect in Battle: Crashes Game
Effect in Building: Crashes Game
Effect in Cave: Crashes Game
Costs: $849150
Sells for: $424575

Hex $54 Name UG2 (Fun fact, this glitch item causes the Elevator in the Rocket Hideout to display the wrong floor number. See image.)
Also I had no other codes on at the time, and it was the first item in my bag. None of the other floor items caused this glitch. I named it oversight,
since I thought it was a oversight in the German version but it just turned out to be a glitch from this item. xD
[img]http://s19.postimg.org/43mbqmh7j/Bonus_oversight.png[/img]
Effect in Overworld: Same as bellow.
Effect in Battle: Plays healing sound effect, game hangs but sound driver continues to work.
Effect in Building: Plays healing sound effect, game hangs but sound driver continues to work.
Effect in Cave: Same as above.
Costs: $0
Sells for: $0

Hex $55 Name UG1
Effect in Overworld: Game crashes.
Effect in Battle: Game crashes.
Effect in Building: Game crashes.
Effect in Cave: Does nothing.
Costs:$0

Hex $56 Name EG
Effect in Overworld: Does nothing.
Effect in Battle: Wastes a turn and does absolutely nothing.
Effect in Building: Does nothing.

Hex $57 Name S1
Effect in Overworld: Does nothing.
Effect in Battle: Wastes a turn and does nothing.
Effect in Building: Does nothing.

Hex $58 Name S2
Effect in Overworld: crashes game
Effect in Battle: crashes game
Effect in Building: game freezes
Effect in Cave: crashes game

Hex $59 Name S3
Effect in Overworld: crashes game
Effect in Battle: crashes game
Effect in Building: crashes game
Sells for: Can't sell it, acts as a key item.

Hex $5A Name S4
Effect in Overworld: Crashes game, deletes your save.
Effect in Battle: Does nothing, skips your turn.
Effect in Building: freezes game
Effect in Cave: Crashes game, deletes your save.

Hex $5B Name S5
Effect in Overworld: does nothing
Effect in Battle: Does nothing, skips your turn.
Effect in Building: does nothing

Hex $5C Name S6
Effect in Overworld: game crashes.
Effect in Battle: game crashes.
Effect in Building: Game crashes.
Effect in Cave: game crashes.

Hex $5D Name S7 (Can be used for bootstrapping code since it's English equivalent is 8F.)
Effect in Overworld: crashes game.
Effect in Battle: crashes game.
Effect in Building: crashes game.
Sells for: Can't sell it.

Hex $84 Name (Name varies by the map you're currently in since it takes random tiles from VRAM.)
[img]http://s19.postimg.org/e27ad3qn3/Glitch_Item_84_not_surfing.png[/img]

[img]http://s19.postimg.org/oqb1by0m7/glitch_item_84_in_mart.png[/img]

[img]http://s19.postimg.org/kig936z6n/Glitch_Item_84_german_blue.png[/img]
Effect in Overworld: Crashes Game
Effect in Battle: Causes TM Trainer Effect
Effect in Building: Oak tells you that you can't use it at this time.
Effect in Cave: Game freezes.
Costs: $948491
Sells for: $474245 (Causes some glitchy effects if you attempt to sell it. The music will hang and some graphical glitches occur. Video will be made later.)

Hex $85 Name [img]http://s19.postimg.org/6iisosmu7/glitch_item_85.png[/img]
Effect in Overworld: Game crashes and IT WILL DELETE YOUR SAVE!!! DO NOT USE THIS ITEM IN THE OVERWORLD!
Effect in Building: Game hangs but the sound driver continues to run.
Effect in Cave: Game hangs.
Costs: $878488
Sells for: $439244 (Causes some glitch effects like $84 if you attempt to sell it.)

Hex $86 Name H RED POKE RED (Name varies by map you're currently in. See bellow.)
[img]http://s19.postimg.org/emqwtj99b/glitch_item_86_inside_building.png[/img]

[img]http://s19.postimg.org/hfk4dk9lr/glitch_item_86_overworld.png[/img]
Effect in Overworld: Game crashes
Effect in Building: Game crashes and THIS WILL DELETE YOUR SAVE!
Effect in Cave: Game hangs.
Costs: $8 8491 (the name overwrites the second number in the price…)
Sells for: Unknown (game hangs if you try to sell it)

Hex $87 Name TAUSCH VOLLZOGEN! (Trade Completed!)
Effect in Overworld: Tells you that you cannot surf on trade completed! here. This is basically identical to ?????, which acts like a surfboard.
Effect in Battle: Same as overworld.
Effect in Building: Tells you that you cannot surf on trade completed! here, though of course in German. :P
Effect in Cave: Same as above.
Costs: $508488
Sells for: $254244

Re: Foreign language R/B glitches (project)

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2017-07-25 17:15:00
Thought I would update this thread with some info on Italian MissingNo.

Torchickens has already researched it slightly, but for those who don't know, Italian MissingNo simply freezes the game when attempting to view its sprite due to the sound bank being changed. Getting a clear cut of its sprite even when fixing the sound bank is hard because so much garble gets in the way due to a buffer overflow. I had an idea with Photon-Phoenix last night which involved altering the Pewter Museum fossils to show MissingNo instead.

It worked, and there was a clear image, but everything was garbled around MissingNo. The music also became a cacophony of decibels.

I got a video of it (TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME)

Here's the sprite cut out of the display box:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/wng5XMr.png[/img]

More interestingly, MissingNo appears different in Italian Blue than Red, the difference being subtle but enough:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8XzOhVV.png[/img]

You can do this yourself using Torchicken's sound bank fix, codes 0102EFC0 & 0102F0C0. The Fossil modifier for the display case is 01xx96CF.

GlitchDex: International glitch Pokémon?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2017-09-01 17:21:36
Has anyone given any thought to how international glitch Pokémon would be documented on the wiki?

The obvious candidates here would obviously be invalid Pokémon in RG/B/Y JP, but there are differences in invalid Pokémon in non-English European versions too, one of which being index 0 of Spanish Red/Blue, which among a number of differences to its more well-known English-version counterpart, learns a number of moves by leveling up.

I'm sure our friends at PRAMA could help with the French side. On that note, perhaps there are other Pokémon glitch research websites focusing on the other non-English European languages who may be willing to affiliate with us?

Another thing to consider, albeit slightly offtopic: I remember reading somewhere that all non-Japanese Generation I games are link-compatible. If this is indeed true, it could expand the number of invalid Pokémon obtainable via Trainer-Fly and equivalent trade, for all non-Japanese games.

Re: GlitchDex: International glitch Pokémon?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-09-01 20:10:03

Has anyone given any thought to how international glitch Pokémon would be documented on the wiki?

Format-wise? Just add an extra column for language/version, or have the "GlitchDex" link go to a disamb with the different languages/versions on it.
Otherwise, document them like the rest.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-09-02 03:42:37
Hell yes, glitch Pokémon are very different in French games.

Making a French glitchdex is something that we want to for years, but it never was the top priority at the moment. Yes sure we can help for such a project :)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-09-02 06:32:54

The obvious candidates here would obviously be invalid Pokémon in RG/B/Y JP, but there are differences in invalid Pokémon in non-English European versions too, one of which being index 0 of Spanish Red/Blue, which among a number of differences to its more well-known English-version counterpart, learns a number of moves by leveling up.

I'm sure our friends at PRAMA could help with the French side. On that note, perhaps there are other Pokémon glitch research websites focusing on the other non-English European languages who may be willing to affiliate with us?

I think we could document these much like the same as the English articles, but the GlitchDex article could be have a language code in the title like this: GlitchDexDE, GlitchDexFR, GlitchDexES, GlitchDexIT, GlitchDexJP and GlitchDexKO, so GlitchDexJP/RG:000 would be the article for Japanese Red/Green No. 000, and so on.

I feel it would be good to list the moves these glitch Pokémon learn in both English and the source game's language, that way people who don't understand English could refer to them.

After all the English Dex projects are finished I'm interested in creating articles for international MissingNo. data, the different /RGBY hex:FF glitch Pokémon, the RGBY hex:00 glitch Pokémon and international Generation II glitch Pokémon because I feel these ought to have recognition.

I'd love to work on relatively complete GlitchDexes for each language, but because it's very time consuming its an ambitious thing to do alone that needs a lot of dedication. However if anyone wants to work on a GlitchDex in another language with the new formatting it would be amazing and I'd appreciate it tons, even if some of the data is incomplete.

At the moment after the English Dexes are done I want to focus on updating the wiki so it covers the contents of all of TheZZAZZGlitch, Crystal_'s, Metarkrai, hibiki ganaha's and my own videos, because our coverage of glitch techniques on the wiki is inexhaustive (from what is known and what we have gathered) and it'd be nice to only have to worry about adding new discoveries as they come.

Another thing to consider, albeit slightly offtopic: I remember reading somewhere that all non-Japanese Generation I games are link-compatible. If this is indeed true, it could expand the number of invalid Pokémon obtainable via Trainer-Fly and equivalent trade, for all non-Japanese games.

That's cool, I didn't know that thanks Wack0! It looks like that's quite possible then. :) I know for sure not all of the glitch Pokémon 190-199 that freeze the game on the English version freeze the game on another version. The German version of Red/Blue also has , , , ä, ö, ü characters available from the new name menu which can be used to encounter glitch Pokémon 192-197.

ö (C1), the equivalent of the English version's normally freezing (C1) in the German version is available from . äPOKé (hex:C4) the equivalent of POKéWTRAINER is available from ö and it also does not freeze the game. The equivalent of p T (hex:C7) named pîîY (hex:C7) in the German version found with Special stat 199 also doesn't always freeze the game.

Hell yes, glitch Pokémon are very different in French games.

Making a French glitchdex is something that we want to for years, but it never was the top priority at the moment. Yes sure we can help for such a project :)

Thank you Krys! ^^

Date: 2017-09-02 08:53:56
Regarding the new page layout, it seems that a script could be created that could automatically fill in most of that information, a la the original Melchior project?

The script could output wiki markup and mark the pages as stubs, allowing for someone else to come in and finish the final parts.

Bonus points if it could create a Pokédex screenshot too, which is theoretically possible.

Date: 2017-09-02 12:05:43
Double posting here, as I just realised that if all non-Japanese Generation I games really are link compatible, it means that the trade linkup derivative of the left-facing shore tile trick could be used to encounter 192-197 on non-German games (as far as i can tell, using the walk-through-walls ledge trick first in Italian and Spanish versions, making sure to visit the Cinnabar Island Pokémon Center beforehand).

Date: 2017-09-02 13:14:27

Double posting here, as I just realised that if all non-Japanese Generation I games really are link compatible, it means that the trade linkup derivative of the left-facing shore tile trick could be used to encounter 192-197 on non-German games (as far as i can tell, using the walk-through-walls ledge trick first in Italian and Spanish versions, making sure to visit the Cinnabar Island Pokémon Center beforehand).

Ah, of course! I didn't think of that. Thanks Wack0.

Yeah in the French, German versions the old man trick wasn't fixed at all but in the Spanish and Italian versions you must use a walk through walls glitch to avoid Tentacool encounters, as you say.  Although the French, German and Italian versions gave encounters from the player's name I wasn't able to get them in the Spanish version; only Pidgey/Rattata from the previous rate which was odd because D88C (encounter table) contained values from the player's name.

I don't know whether I was just extremely unlucky but with so many tries I wonder whether something else is going on there or even whether there's a bug with Spanish version encounter tables (where on Route 1 the beginning bytes are 19 03 24 03 A5 03 which are expected Pokémon on that route).

Regarding the new page layout, it seems that a script could be created that could automatically fill in most of that information, a la the original Melchior project?

The script could output wiki markup and mark the pages as stubs, allowing for someone else to come in and finish the final parts.

Bonus points if it could create a Pokédex screenshot too, which is theoretically possible.

That sounds like good idea. Also we could use a more elaborate template that already has the headers like starting move, methods to obtain, evolutions, base stats. Basically one massive template where all you need to input are the variables.

In theory a bot could just take them from a database (which possibly exists on an old version of Glitch City as the Melchior data) and create the pages automatically like what was done before but this time in proper wiki format, although it would take work to put the theory into practise and also program the bot.

Date: 2017-09-02 13:30:32

I don't know whether I was just extremely unlucky but with so many tries I wonder whether something else is going on there or even whether there's a bug with Spanish version encounter tables (where on Route 1 the beginning bytes are 19 03 24 03 A5 03 which are expected Pokémon on that route).

I guess you could put a write breakpoint on the EU equivalent of CFD8 (CFD3? CFDD? Can't remember…).

Date: 2017-09-02 13:33:10

I guess you could put a write breakpoint on the EU equivalent of CFD8 (CFD3? CFDD? Can't remember…).

Yeah it should be CFDD. Good idea.

Edit: On BGB I encountered the glitch Pokémon 0 'Mù ù (hex:00) in Spanish version using the old man trick even when I went to Route 1 before watching the old man's demonstration, so I'm unsure why it wasn't working before. However my player's name this time was simply "A". Before it was the default "ROJO" name (which may have had other data following the 0x50 if it was selected as a preset name from the new name menu).

Date: 2017-09-03 09:10:24
I was just wondering how you'd do the trade linkup derivative of the left-facing shore tile glitch directly after the walk-through-walls ledge trick.

It took me a while to realise: go into the Safari Zone, save and reset then head out of the Safari Zone, get two Pokémon poisoned, go to Cinnabar and deposit all but one of the poisoned Pokémon, jump off a ledge with your 500th step, walk around the Safari Zone entrance until whiteout, withdraw your other poisoned Pokémon and deposit the healthy one, go link with another game, run around the trade center until whiteout, leave the Pokémon Center and walk up and down the right coast.

Date: 2017-09-03 13:34:21
Regarding linking two European Generation I games, I've been talking about it like it may be possible based on what I've read.

Turns out Torchickens successfully did this to show "changing OT names" with regards to NPC traded Pokémon with an OT name of [tt]5D 50 …[/tt], between an English and a Spanish Generation I game, in a video in 2012: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zum_-joPerw

So it is indeed possible. I think the doubt is because of structure changes between Japanese Generation I/II games and all localisations, causing link incompatibility between a Japanese and non-Japanese Generation I or II game.

I'm not sure if the Virtual Console emulator allows links between Generation I games of different languages (no matter if they would be compatible or not), though.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-09-03 13:40:37
Sorry, I did not understand that this was an interrogation.

I've been doing trades with my Italian cousins when I was young so indeed it works :)

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-09-05 22:36:04

I was just wondering how you'd do the trade linkup derivative of the left-facing shore tile glitch directly after the walk-through-walls ledge trick.

It took me a while to realise: go into the Safari Zone, save and reset then head out of the Safari Zone, get two Pokémon poisoned, go to Cinnabar and deposit all but one of the poisoned Pokémon, jump off a ledge with your 500th step, walk around the Safari Zone entrance until whiteout, withdraw your other poisoned Pokémon and deposit the healthy one, go link with another game, run around the trade center until whiteout, leave the Pokémon Center and walk up and down the right coast.

Going into the Pokemon Center breaks the WTW.

Most of the Pokedex screenshots are just empty with Rhydon's weight and height. The only interesting part would be the Pokemon Category.