Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon Sword and Shield Discussion - Page 4

Re: Pokémon Sword and Shield Discussion

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2019-06-06 11:46:01
Well yay. I saw the Direct and got excited about preordering the double pack. Then I saw the price of $120 slapped on it. That's gonna be fun saving for that without a job! But it's so worth it! Kinda like Earthbound in mint condition complete for $700 plus tax… Yeah I need a job…😅

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2019-06-06 13:15:27

As for Dynamaxing, I'll just wait until the competitive scene has figured out what to do with it before forming an opinion. Game Freak have shown a noticeable disregard for it since its inception, and my first thought is that any opponent will just Protect and Sub twice

If it's anything like Z-moves, Dynamaxing will bypass Protect, Detect, and Substitute.

Date: 2019-06-11 14:07:40
You can't transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Home to Sword/Shield if they're not in the Galar Dex. There's no National Dex in the games either, soooo…

Literally what's the point of having a franchise with the catchphrase "Gotta Catch Em All" if you can't accomplish the catchphrase lol. They gotta add that in in like a patch or something or I swear I might be turned off from the Pokemon franchise forever.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-11 14:48:40

You can't transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Home to Sword/Shield if they're not in the Galar Dex. There's no National Dex in the games either, soooo…

Literally what's the point of having a franchise with the catchphrase "Gotta Catch Em All" if you can't accomplish the catchphrase lol. They gotta add that in in like a patch or something or I swear I might be turned off from the Pokemon franchise forever.

I'm afraid about this too personally.

I hope they are added in a patch.

It's nice to play a new entry and make new teams, but completing the dex was always a replay value thing for me; that and some of my favourite team members won't be able to make it in the game. Also it's disappointing for people who made a living dex (me included). I'm unsure what the gameplay will be like though. X/Y/Sun/Moon felt a little shallow for me somehow.

Date: 2019-06-13 14:53:52
Well they may let you transfer Pokemon AFTER you get the National Dex. But otherwise they won't let you transfer say for example Diagle until AFTER you get the National Dex.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-06-13 16:12:05

Well they may let you transfer Pokemon AFTER you get the National Dex. But otherwise they won't let you transfer say for example Diagle until AFTER you get the National Dex.
this assumes they learned anything from PokeBank and all the other sploits

Date: 2019-06-13 19:14:24
Oh, look, a reason:

https://www.twitter.com/shofu/status/1138881819523182592

Date: 2019-06-14 00:37:36

There's no National Dex though. If this were the case and Pokemon could be transferred after we retrieved the National Dex, that'd be fine. But the National Dex is literally not in the game.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-06-14 02:11:30
I'm doing Living Dex runs, so the National Dex per se, I don't really care, but it is important that I can have all the Pokémon in my PC.

If this turns to be impossible, I think I will simply stop try to "catch'em all", hence stop playing Pokémon.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-06-14 14:07:43
I wouldn't mind them getting rid of the National Dex at all. It would be good to see them take a few from previous generations, combine them with the Galar Pokémon, and have only those be available.

Do we really want to be bound to the same data structure for them that was introduced in 2002? Yes, it's been expanded on, but nothing that was already there could be changed, due to cross-compatibility. Is it as close to perfect as anyone can imagine? Sure, maybe, but we'd be saying the same about GSC's if they kept it that way.

I wouldn't mind that step being taken at all. There would be a whole new appeal to "retired Pokémon", and a chance to take new steps with mechanics that aren't simply adding increasingly superfluous things like Mega Evolution and Z-Moves.

Whether or not this will actually be the result of "restricting the species available for rebalancing purposes" (or however it was worded) is another matter, of course…but still, we have more than enough chances to "catch 'em all" already. (Wasn't that catchphrase dropped before GSC, anyhow? And only in American versions to begin with?)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-15 13:36:10
Yeah that's true. In this sense then it feels, familiarity does breed content. It's apparent a lot of long-term fans may quit over this. Thinking about it; some people quit after Generation I/II or later because the games didn't feel the same, with some believing there were too many Pokémon, or the stereotypical "Genwunners" ("the old Pokémon were the best"). (I'm still on the for all Pokémon side but agree that some disagree)

Date: 2019-06-16 14:50:34
It's been a few days since the National Dex (Dexit) announcement, but I'm not doing any better at accepting it. My main concern right now is how they're going to determine which Pokemon to cut. I would imagine that the starters from other regions would get cut, which makes me sad for my favorite Pokemon, Blaziken. I'd also imagine that some of the legendaries from other games would be cut as well, which makes me sad for Regigigas.

It's just unfortunate that they all can't be in the game (or, Game Freak refuses to put all of them in the game). While people may like Pokemon as a whole, part of the appeal of Pokemon is being able to go on your own unique adventure with your favorite Pokemon. Now, however, certain favorites are going to be unavailable – sure, the most popular Pokemon will still be in the game, in all likelihood, but just having all the popular Pokemon in the game doesn't mean that everyone's favorites will be in the game, either.

Still disappointing. I'm telling myself that I'm not going to buy the game, but I know I'm such a sucker for Pokemon games that I'll buy either Sword or Shield day 1, and then buy whatever enhanced version they come out with two years down the road, too.

Date: 2019-06-20 09:04:28
Why can't they just split the load of Pokemon between the two games like before? I mean as of now we have 809 Pokemon (Not counting new announced pokemon) and we as true trainers, and not just 7 year olds have our right to catch'em all!

I'm very torn about buying the collectable dual pack for $120 since I'm not as crazy about the game, but I enjoy collecting video games.

It seems Game Freak is trying to market to the younger generation, but that means they don't seem to care what veteran players care about. All they need is eye candy for some 5 year olds, and that's all that matters. What about us Game Freak!

Date: 2019-06-20 10:33:01

It seems Game Freak is trying to market to the younger generation, but that means they don't seem to care what veteran players care about. All they need is eye candy for some 5 year olds, and that's all that matters. What about us Game Freak!
Building the next generation of Trainers is more important than keeping old ones. Well, from a money perspective…

Date: 2019-06-20 17:20:03

Building the next generation of Trainers is more important than keeping old ones. Well, from a money perspective…

Well that's all they care about. They haven't even put any heart into the story since Black/White/2. The recent games have had shallow storylines focused on simpler thoughts than Pokemon liberation, and a false upbringing.