Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon Sword and Shield Discussion - Page 10

Re: Pokémon Sword and Shield Discussion

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-11-26 14:42:19
I've been catching a lot of stuff myself despite my initial plans, both because of the variety and there finally being the sense of being able to fill the Dex without jumping through data transfer shenanigans. Don't think I'll go as far as to complete it as I'm just not very into that anymore, but if I don't, Poké Jobs are still a thing.

Also, replaced my starter with this guy, named Gamageorge!

[img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/3/35/537Seismitoad.png/400px-537Seismitoad.png[/img]

And THE GOPHER WITH A BIG TAIL EVOLVES INTO A BIGGER GOPHER WITH A BIGGER TAIL. I need this guy.

[img width=400 height=400]https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/74636023_488112081911717_1767215655624049323_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=105&oh=8a34410c36a197e6709166602a967564&oe=5E78CC05[/img]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-11-26 19:17:13
Gamageorge, nice name! ^^ Ahh you discarded your starter, poor whoever it was :( Yes.. Greedent is cool. :D You can also get wild ones by shaking Berry trees too much (and causing you to lose some Berries), like the game is telling you to stop being greedy.

Also umm, later in the game made me feel a little disappointed because there seemed to be plot holes and the once what felt like slow reasonable pacing and getting to know the characters seemed to turn to the end story plot without any middle elements like getting to know the characters and their intentions, because it's like "OK you got the first badge, wow you got the third badge", but third-eighth blur because you get them fast if you're set on beating them. In some respects it's fun, in other respects it felt shallow. This and you can easily become overpowered if you stay in the Wild Area long enough apparently, even with the badge restrictions on catching high level Pokémon.

Date: 2019-12-04 19:05:01
Greedent has quickly became one of my favorite Pokémon ever. He leads the team now along with Gamageorge. (Just look at it and tell me the fluffiness doesn't start to awaken within you!)

We're off to challenge the 8th Gym sometime tonight. The Dark-type Gym was my favorite yet for various reasons that are tough not to spoil, even though the leader's team included what were probably my four least favorite Pokémon to make the cut.

Let's see if we can get my League Card on here…never posted a pic from a Switch before.

Here we go:
[img width=720]https://i.imgur.com/WSLRkjo.jpg[/img]

And here she is Having Curry Ecstatically with Her Endearing Companion:
[img width=720]https://i.imgur.com/Hp6TAqv.jpg[/img]

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-12-10 00:17:16
he fucking

M    A    R    C    H

[img]https://archive-media-0.nyafuu.org/vp/image/1573/96/1573968061543.gif[/img]

Date: 2019-12-12 04:56:15

he fucking

M    A    R    C    H

[img]https://archive-media-0.nyafuu.org/vp/image/1573/96/1573968061543.gif[/img]

Yes. He march. Such a cinnamon roll, he is. Mmm ^^

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2019-12-18 23:24:21
Well, I beat the game–haven't started the postgame yet, but overall I enjoyed the game! I had a much better time than I thought I would (giving the whole drama surrounding #DexIt and all the buzz on Twitter about the game). I listed out some thoughts below.

- The EXP Share really doesn't need to be on all the time. I think this is a poor change that makes it too easy to become overleveled with a typical party of six. I ended up regularly using 18 separate Pokemon and rotated each of them in and out of my party throughout the game–I ended up being 15 levels underleveled when I fought Leon, but I was still able to eke out a win.

- Leon. Oh my god. He's really tough. I think he's the only champion that can hold a candle to Cynthia. His team was incredibly well-balanced, with multiple psuedo-legendaries, a Gigantamax Charizard which hits like a beast, and a few other quirks to his team. I had a BLAST fighting him–my team was vastly underleveled so it took a lot more strategy, for me, than usual to beat a Champion. Beating him, though… what a satisfying feeling.

- The story is pretty underwhelming. Every time I thought something cool was going to happen, Leon stepped in and shifted my focus back towards the Gym Challenge, until the entire story comes to a head at the very end. Gotta say, even by Pokemon game standards, it was really underwhelming. I felt like I didn't even get an inkling of what Marco Cosmos' was until just before the Champion battle, and even then… you really only get 3 or 4 battles with Marco Cosmos' officials until you're fighting Rose, and then Eternatus. It seemed like all the story was jammed into the last few hours of the game which I really don't get. I'd have loved to have taken a break from my Gym Challenge for a bit and gone and fought against evil for a while.

- The Wild Area is a really cool addition, and I like the direction Game Freak went with it, but it feels small. After I got the bike, I could easily go from one side of the Wild Area to the other in just a few minutes, and I felt like I was able to figure out where everything was after only a few more minutes of exploration. I'd love to see a more expansive Wild Area in the future, but this was a good start.

- I was disappointed by the lack of dungeons in the game. Some of my fondest Pokemon memories involve getting hopelessly lost in Rock Tunnel or Mt. Coronet, but most of the areas in Galar are really straightforward. Routes aren't a challenge to navigate (as is usual), but the lack of sprawling, maze-like dungeons in Galar is really jarring for me. I never felt like I had gotten lost or needed to figure out where I needed to go; the game as a whole is pretty linear. In the future, I'd love to see more fleshed out dungeons.

- Dexit… yeah, still not happy about it, but oh well. The game is still fun regardless, even if I wish I could use some of the Pokemon I've had with me since childhood.

Overall I feel like the game is a great starting point for the franchise, but that's sort of what the past few games and generations have been, too. It seems like they have a lot of room to grow and a lot of room to expand Galar's story, lore, and environment, but, knowing Game Freak, they'll just push out an extremely-similar version of the same game one-or-two years from now, leave lots of things unchanged, and then move onto Gen 9. I really like Galar and hope it gets fleshed out to its fullest potential, but I'm not exactly hopeful. I hope Game Freak proves me wrong.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-12-19 00:58:45

haven't started the postgame yet

You can't start what's not there.

Date: 2019-12-20 01:28:48
Lmao. Point taken.

Date: 2019-12-21 16:16:28
Ha ha ha ha. I'll take your word for it that there's nothing else, but I have been doing the Battle Tower a lot since beating it. I was unpleasantly surprised to find there was no penalty for losing, but thought soon after there was no real reason they had to make there be one.

Also on the note of the Battle Tower…this is probably the closest a Pokémon game has ever come to being what "hardcore" players needed. While I'm still looking forward to the first RNG techniques if any are found, you get items in there to change both IVs and natures. Also, the vitamins still work all the way up to 250 EVs. This means no more need for RNGing, EV training, or even item cloning (I think I saw PP Ups buyable too). So with that BP rolling in nonstop, you can get that flawless Timid Eternatus with no PKHex…

I may get more thoughts in order later, but off the top of my head my biggest complaint (and it is a big one) is the move to "true 3D", no more sprites like in Gens 1-5 or solid outlines like in 6-7. Not sure how it could have been avoided, but a major detractor for an entry in this series. As for good points…in addition to the above, quite a lot, but I'll get to that later.

Date: 2020-01-01 18:17:10
AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH HOW DO YOU GET THIS FUCKER TO EVOLVE INTO RUNERINGUS, I'VE SEEN LIKE THREE VIDEOS AND STILL DON'T GET IT

[img]https://i.imgur.com/i7SXw4i.jpg?2[/img]

Finally. That took something like an hour and no, I still don't get it.

Date: 2020-01-08 14:04:04
Apparently there's a 20-minute Pokemon Direct tomorrow. Will it relate to Sword and Shield? Will it reveal a new Mystery Dungeon game? Will it be Sinnoh remakes? Will I ever stop asking rhetorical questions?

Find out at 6:30 AM PST tomorrow!

Date: 2020-01-08 16:36:31

Apparently there's a 20-minute Pokemon Direct tomorrow. Will it relate to Sword and Shield? Will it reveal a new Mystery Dungeon game? Will it be Sinnoh remakes? Will I ever stop asking rhetorical questions?

Find out at 6:30 AM PST tomorrow!

I get the impression it might include Pokémon HOME? (Actually it probably is: "It is planned for launch around the first ten days of 2020." with this as a source). Though as for other things which may appear in the direct who knows. ^^

(I think we may have done this in Japanese class too, but for context from JWPCE, which is a good free one :) ; so it may depend what the exact wording in that article about Pokémon HOME was..(?)) Edit: Yeah.. it's "first ten days of the month", so I gather it should come out within two days.)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5EWftqL.png[/img]

Date: 2020-01-09 09:06:50
OK. (The end of the video presentation (an English version at least; not sure of region, maybe both US and UK) stated HOME comes out in February 2020). There will be an expansion pack (two parts so far) with some returning Pokémon; over 200 (including those not in the game) and new ones. :) like Kubfu, Calyrex. More legendaries like Kyogre are back. Galarian Slowpoke apparently will also be available today for free.

Date: 2020-01-10 01:54:49
Well, I was wrong. There was no way of knowing before the stream whether or not I was wrong, but I was.

Everything they showed in the expansion packs looks excellent. The new Wild Areas, the new Galar forms, additional story content, the new outfit items…I can't even remember all of it, it was just nonstop good stuff. And that's exactly the problem: if they could have had this all out in mere months since the original release, it should have been in the original release. I defended Dexit because there was no reason to bring back all the Pokémon if they were already available in previous games, but it's looking like the real reason to not include them was to get fans to buy the expansion pack later. I didnt object to the relative lack of content simply because "this is what we're getting", but now apparently it's because they're rationing it out over additional paid releases.

The most optimistic way to see it might be that Game Freak's trying to "be with the times" like with the virtual pet things in Gen 2 and see whether or not it works out. But even from that standpoint I just can't get behind it on account of how scummy a practice it is to deliberately release an incomplete game.

There's also nothing that Mystery Dungeon Red and Blue could gain from a Switch remake, but that's another topic if anyone cares about that.

Date: 2020-01-10 14:51:16
First of all; very glad that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is getting a remake. Even if it's not a new story and just has updated graphics, I'm perfectly fine with that–it's been quite a while since I've played a Mystery Dungeon game, so I'm happy that the games are coming back in any capacity. Perhaps if they sell well, they'll make straight up new Mystery Dungeon games next time.

And yeah, Sherkel, my attitude towards the expansion passes pretty much mirror your own. The content itself looks amazing and I'm glad we get a bonus adventure (it's like an actual postgame compared to the garbage two hours we have right now), but… it should have been included with the original game. Sword and Shield themselves felt incomplete upon release–I shouldn't have to pay extra money for a polished, finished game. Ultimately I'm disappointed with Game Freak's decision not to include the 200 additional Pokemon and additional areas from the beginning–it makes it seem as if they purposely left stuff out of the base game to sell it back to us at a later date.

However, because I'm a sucker for Pokemon and Game Freak has me by the balls, I'll go ahead and buy the expansion pass anyway. I have no integrity!