Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon Sword and Shield Discussion - Page 5

Re: Pokémon Sword and Shield Discussion

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-06-20 23:56:11
Let's not forget we're veteran fans of a series that has always advertised itself, in your own words, using eye candy for 5 year olds.

As one of those veterans (or 5 year olds, depending on who you ask), Dexit is possibly the most promising thing I've heard about these so far. I buy the "high quality animations" argument, even if it's nothing else.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2019-06-21 00:11:05

As one of those veterans (or 5 year olds, depending on who you ask), Dexit is possibly the most promising thing I've heard about these so far. I buy the "high quality animations" argument, even if it's nothing else.

I can't buy the "high quality animations" argument at all. The animations I've seen from Sword and Shield thus far are extremely lackluster and far below the animations shown in other console Pokemon games like Colosseum, XD, and Battle Revolution.

Like, just look at some of these animations in Sword and Shield, and then compare them to animations seen in Colosseum and XD. The models in the GameCube games seem to have so much personality and life compared to what's been shown in Sword and Shield. And Battle Revolution? Not even comparable. Just look at that Rampardos ramming its head into Charizard at around the 2:00 minute mark.

To me, "high quality animations" just seem like an excuse that Gamefreak is using to justify spending less resources on developing a quality game. Maybe they're developing higher quality animations for stuff like Pokemon Amie/Refresh or something along those lines, but for them to do that would be hilariously out of touch with what their core fanbase cares about.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-06-21 00:18:03
The examples in that video certainly aren't anything special, and I agree that Orre and Stadium's were a joy to see. Having that for over 800 creatures, though? It'd be hard to imagine not compromising on quality.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2019-06-21 09:13:09
Still with the animation they DO have they can easily work in all the pokemon…
Wait a second…
This is all a farce for adding the rest later in payed DLC!

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-06-21 10:55:12

Wait a second…
my money's on this tbh

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-06-21 11:39:30

Wait a second…

How would they structure that? If they were to add the rest later, they would have to either add Pokemon home support to transfer all of the Pokemon, thus making paid DLC for the rest completely worthless since a lot of people already have all of the Pokemon, or completely blow their cover by saying "Hey, all the Pokemon are in the game now but you have to pay for them!", making everyone angry.

Date: 2019-06-21 14:14:27

The examples in that video certainly aren't anything special, and I agree that Orre and Stadium's were a joy to see. Having that for over 800 creatures, though? It'd be hard to imagine not compromising on quality.

If the Wii was able to handle high-quality animations for 493 Pokemon, then the Switch, a much more powerful console, can handle having the same high-quality animations for 800 characters, especially considering how much bigger games can be on the Switch. The only reason to compromise on quality would be if Game Freak has a deadline to meet – but, at that point, I'd rather the game be delayed to get all the Pokemon in there, rather than have to deal with a game that I'd see as incomplete.

Wait a second…

This would suck but I could see it. "National Dex DLC". Ideally it wouldn't be DLC, but instead a free-to-download update, but who really knows. Game Freak would rake in a bunch in revenue if they structured it that way. Hopefully they don't.

Date: 2019-06-28 21:49:45
If pushing for a delay gets us all our Pokemon I'M ALL IN!
Time to start the veteran's march against Dexit! Lol #SayNoToDexit

Posted by: Yenatech
Date: 2019-06-29 16:57:43
Well I have a few friends who aren't on here who would agree with the point I'm about to make.

I've heard that they're cutting tons of Pokémon due to space issues.

But you know why I think that's BS?

Simple. In previous generations, there have been unused slots for "invalid" Pokémon past the Pokédex's ending number.

Going by this logic, it's safe to say that they would again have those, so what's stopping them from just replacing some of those for the new Pokémon, and keeping all the old ones too?

Date: 2019-06-29 20:03:31

Well I have a few friends who aren't on here who would agree with the point I'm about to make.

I've heard that they're cutting tons of Pokémon due to space issues.

But you know why I think that's BS?

Simple. In previous generations, there have been unused slots for "invalid" Pokémon past the Pokédex's ending number.

Going by this logic, it's safe to say that they would again have those, so what's stopping them from just replacing some of those for the new Pokémon, and keeping all the old ones too?
This was actually due to system architecture. For example, Gen 1 has 151 pokemon, right, Well, an 8-bit number can hold any value from 0 to 255, so there are 256 possible values. Values outside of the valid range(s) loaded strange, not-Pokemon data because the table used to turn the 8-bit ID into pointers for things like base data, sprites, types, etc. doesn't have 256 entries, and since the game never checked that it was, in fact, checking INSIDE the table and not past it, unrelated data was loaded [size=4pt]i'm going in circles explaining this aren't i[/size]

There will be 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 total, possible Pokemon slots the new games can address with one 64-bit integer, but very few of these will actually be filled or even checkable in a similar table (as the table will end WELL before the 1%-of-that-number mark.) Whether the game checks if it's looking past the table or not… that's a different matter. If it does, we can't (easily) access invalid Mons. If there is no check like that, invalid mons are much more likely to be accessible.

Date: 2019-06-30 00:00:52
Well, looks like nothing is changing anytime soon.

Date: 2019-06-30 09:49:43
Well that's unfortunate. It just feels a little to late to make a decision like that after we reached a game that allowed us to catch 809 different pokemon. As much heart as they've put into past games, I feel like this is just because of their deadline for getting in that Christmas money.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-30 11:27:59
@Yenatech: I think Game Freak may have been saying something more like it's hard work (not impossible)? Not sure if I misunderstood it though sorry.

Sometimes the 65536 (2^16) etc. subject is about technical limits rather than space, and time. There are also workarounds to the limits. In theory they could add 65536 Pokémon, but if you were to create models for all of them it would take up lots and lots of data and possibly by previous standards; years. In Red/Blue/Yellow, the glitch Pokémon past 190 are not "unused slots", but more of an extrapolated 'what if'; if the Pokémon loaded was more in line with the technical limit and these Pokémon take their data and pointers from other existing areas of the ROM.

Date: 2019-06-30 13:03:51

Sometimes the 65536 (2^16) etc. subject is about technical limits rather than space, and time. There are also workarounds to the limits. In theory they could add 65536 Pokémon, but if you were to create models for all of them it would take up lots and lots of data and possibly by previous standards; years. In Red/Blue/Yellow, the glitch Pokémon past 190 are not "unused slots", but more of an extrapolated 'what if'; if the Pokémon loaded was more in line with the technical limit and these Pokémon take their data and pointers from other existing areas of the ROM.

this was what I was trying to explain, just… badly. The Switch is a 64-bit system, so most likely they'll be using a 64-bit unsigned integer for Pokemon IDs. (Y'know, as memory/speed optimization is dead in gaming nowadays.)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-30 13:08:44

this was what I was trying to explain, just… badly. The Switch is a 64-bit system, so most likely they'll be using a 64-bit unsigned integer for Pokemon IDs. (Y'know, as memory/speed optimization is dead in gaming nowadays.)

Yeah, I saw what you wrote but didn't fully register your post, sorry about that. :(