Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Generation V confirmed - Page 5

Re: Generation V confirmed

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-06-01 18:32:01
Honestly, PokéBeach convinced me she was right.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2010-06-01 19:01:44
Until I see an official source stating its type, like Pokemon.com, or CoroCoro, I remain skeptical.

Posted by: GoldenChaos
Date: 2010-06-06 00:20:10
*RANT WARNING*

…Ready?

I cannot even begin to tell you how completely turned off I am by this "Generation V". I just heard about Black and White a few days ago and (not that I'm trying to pass judgment or shit on everything I see) I'm already sick to my stomach. Don't misunderstand me; I'm all for new Pokemon to catch, new lands to explore, new attacks to utilize, new legendaries (if they can even be called that, but that's another matter all together), etc. But when they release images of Pokemon this unoriginal and (for lack of a better word) stupid looking, I have to question the intelligence and creativity of the minds at Game Freak. Seriously you guys. Come on. Not only do the new Pokemon we've seen look like they were thought up by a lobotomized giraffe, but it's completely obvious that they are rehashes of old Pokemon. Do they really think that we are too stupid to notice? Like the child that takes parts of his old toys and glues them together to make new ones, Game Freak simply has no new ideas to draw from.

And none of this is fact, by the way. It's just my opinion… Which, depending on who you are, may or may not matter.

Date: 2010-06-06 01:25:14
Explain to me how these Pokemon are rehashes of old ones. (Excluding Reshiram, as it looks like a fusion between Palkia, Suicune, Lugia, and Kunemon from Digimon.)
And these (so far) are FAR from unoriginal. We've never had a land snake, fire pig, OTTER (in general), demon foxes (Ninetails doesn't count as demonic), nor celestial beings representing good and evil.
If you want to look at unoriginality, look at Charizard. (Not badmouthing Char, but it's just a typical, everyday dragon with fire on it's tail.)

Date: 2010-06-06 21:52:49

Explain to me how these Pokemon are rehashes of old ones. (Excluding Reshiram, as it looks like a fusion between Palkia, Suicune, Lugia, and Kunemon from Digimon.)
And these (so far) are FAR from unoriginal. We've never had a land snake, fire pig, OTTER (in general), demon foxes (Ninetails doesn't count as demonic), nor celestial beings representing good and evil.
If you want to look at unoriginality, look at Charizard. (Not badmouthing Char, but it's just a typical, everyday dragon with fire on it's tail.)

Here's what I see when I look at the new Pokemon…
[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/fmpd0m.png[/img]
This just looks too much like Treeko to me… No land snakes you say? Ekans. I can defiantly see elements taken from both Treeko and Ekans in this one.
[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/npown6.png[/img]
I can't help but think of Spoink when I look at this guy.
[img]http://pokebeach.com/content/games/black-white/prerelease/0510/mijumaru.png[/img]
It looks like a Piplup and a Buizel got it on.
[img]http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/zoroark-pokemon-of-fifth-generation-artwork.jpg[/img]
Weavile + Sandshrew + Ninetails = "Zoroark"?

Mabye I'm over-analyzing things. It just seems to me that there's no effort been put into this go-round.

Date: 2010-06-06 21:57:31
Land snake as in snake with legs.

But I can see how Pokabu looks a bit like a tiny Grumpig….
For the others…I don't see the resemblance. Although Mijumaru has a similar body shape to Piplup, it doesn't look like Piplup to me when I put the two pictures side-to-side.

Date: 2010-06-06 22:04:14
I guess it's just me… But I'm really not digging these new designs. They make me think of these guys.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2010-06-07 06:23:23

And some people like that! It's better than the crap Game Freak is coming up with now (or whoever the hell is drawing this nonsense)

Date: 2010-06-07 08:15:13

And some people like that! It's better than the crap Game Freak is coming up with now (or whoever the hell is drawing this nonsense)

You know what's ironic? The same guy that designed the originals is the same one that's designing the new guys. So what now?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2010-06-08 17:32:15
Getting White, because Zekrom is just that much better.

Posted by: Naitekiakki
Date: 2010-06-09 16:51:29
[size=1]I'm getting Black. :]

And when it comes to this stupid thing with "Oh all the new Pokemon suck!!!1"
All I think about is this image. It irks me when people get upset about new the new Pokemon because they're "not creative".
[img]http://d.facdn.net/art/purplekecleon/1275120977.purplekecleon_newpokemon.png[/img]
The only reason we think so badly about these new Pokemon is because we're not stupid, carefree children.[/size]

Date: 2010-06-09 18:16:33

All I think about is this image. It irks me when people get upset about new the new Pokemon because they're "not creative".
[img]http://d.facdn.net/art/purplekecleon/1275120977.purplekecleon_newpokemon.png[/img]
The only reason we think so badly about these new Pokemon is because we're not stupid, carefree children.[/size]

My words exactly. I bet that if Mewtwo had debuted in this game, he wouldn't have been liked as he is now.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2010-06-09 21:29:27
Also getting Pokabu, because it has the chance to evolve into a giant fire-boar.

WIN

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2010-06-10 05:16:07

My words exactly. I bet that if Mewtwo had debuted in this game, he wouldn't have been liked as he is now.

I agree with all of this. I actually might end up getting White as of now, but who knows.

Date: 2010-06-10 17:56:03

Maybe I didn't choose my words right when I said this new generation isn't original. I can see how the first generation of Pokemon weren't exactly original other than Pokemon like Mewtwo, because he looks like something no one has ever seen. He has balls for his freaking fingers!

Making Pokemon that resemble real-world animals is all good. Pokemon like Stunky are good additions because their species (in this case, skunks) hasn't been used before. But when you have three Pokemon based on the same animal and they have only slightly different variations between them, that's when I have an issue. I mean, Starly is just a Pidgey with a different color scheme. Farfetch'd isn't that great of an idea either (Does anyone really remember him?) and the only thing separating that guy from Pidgey is the fact that he fights with a freaking leek. And that just seems random. On the other hand however, Swablu and Skarmory are good examples of how you can take a Pokemon that's already been done (bird-like Pokemon) and creatively rework it. Even Chatot was a good idea, because even though there are many bird Pokemon, there was no parrot variation.

You see, the pinnacle of creativity and originality is when you can create something no one has ever seen or even thought of. (Mewtwo, Bronzor, Rotom, Ralts, Shuckle, Abra)

I'm just saying… I think they could do better with some of their designs.