Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Generation V confirmed - Page 6

Re: Generation V confirmed

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2010-06-10 18:25:28
Here's a difference: Pidgey is supposed to be a pidgeon, whereas Starly is supposed to be a starling. Two different birds.
And EVERYONE remembers Farfetch'd. He was a wild duck with a leek! What's not to remember? He needs a badass evo….
Though I do see your point. Especially about Pokabu being a mini, firey Grumpig.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2010-06-10 18:52:12

[size=1]I'm getting Black. :]

And when it comes to this stupid thing with "Oh all the new Pokemon suck!!!1"
All I think about is this image. It irks me when people get upset about new the new Pokemon because they're "not creative".
[img]http://d.facdn.net/art/purplekecleon/1275120977.purplekecleon_newpokemon.png[/img]
The only reason we think so badly about these new Pokemon is because we're not stupid, carefree children.[/size]

My words exactly. I bet that if Mewtwo had debuted in this game, he wouldn't have been liked as he is now.

Maybe I didn't choose my words right when I said this new generation isn't original. I can see how the first generation of Pokemon weren't exactly original other than Pokemon like Mewtwo, because he looks like something no one has ever seen. He has balls for his freaking fingers!

Making Pokemon that resemble real-world animals is all good. Pokemon like Stunky are good additions because their species (in this case, skunks) hasn't been used before. But when you have three Pokemon based on the same animal and they have only slightly different variations between them, that's when I have an issue. I mean, Starly is just a Pidgey with a different color scheme. Farfetch'd isn't that great of an idea either (Does anyone really remember him?) and the only thing separating that guy from Pidgey is the fact that he fights with a freaking leek. And that just seems random. On the other hand however, Swablu and Skarmory are good examples of how you can take a Pokemon that's already been done (bird-like Pokemon) and creatively rework it. Even Chatot was a good idea, because even though there are many bird Pokemon, there was no parrot variation.

You see, the pinnacle of creativity and originality is when you can create something no one has ever seen or even thought of. (Mewtwo, Bronzor, Rotom, Ralts, Shuckle, Abra)

I'm just saying… I think they could do better with some of their designs.

I agree with that sooo much.
Like some of the D/P pokemon are useless to me cause its just a repeat. But you made  a good point with Chatot and Skarmory

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2010-06-10 19:19:08

[size=1]I'm getting Black. :]

And when it comes to this stupid thing with "Oh all the new Pokemon suck!!!1"
All I think about is this image. It irks me when people get upset about new the new Pokemon because they're "not creative".
[img]http://d.facdn.net/art/purplekecleon/1275120977.purplekecleon_newpokemon.png[/img]
The only reason we think so badly about these new Pokemon is because we're not stupid, carefree children.[/size]

My words exactly. I bet that if Mewtwo had debuted in this game, he wouldn't have been liked as he is now.

Maybe I didn't choose my words right when I said this new generation isn't original. I can see how the first generation of Pokemon weren't exactly original other than Pokemon like Mewtwo, because he looks like something no one has ever seen. He has balls for his freaking fingers!

Making Pokemon that resemble real-world animals is all good. Pokemon like Stunky are good additions because their species (in this case, skunks) hasn't been used before. But when you have three Pokemon based on the same animal and they have only slightly different variations between them, that's when I have an issue. I mean, Starly is just a Pidgey with a different color scheme. Farfetch'd isn't that great of an idea either (Does anyone really remember him?) and the only thing separating that guy from Pidgey is the fact that he fights with a freaking leek. And that just seems random. On the other hand however, Swablu and Skarmory are good examples of how you can take a Pokemon that's already been done (bird-like Pokemon) and creatively rework it. Even Chatot was a good idea, because even though there are many bird Pokemon, there was no parrot variation.

You see, the pinnacle of creativity and originality is when you can create something no one has ever seen or even thought of. (Mewtwo, Bronzor, Rotom, Ralts, Shuckle, Abra)

I'm just saying… I think they could do better with some of their designs.

First of all can I say, I can't see your picture.

Secondly, well the idea of "orginal" has three definitions among Pokemon fans (that I've seen any ways):

1. It is difficult to tell what animal(s), plant(s), object(s) and/or myth(s) it is based off of.

2. It is not copying ideas or designs off of the older generationsor other battle monster series orginal creatures.

3. It has a concept and it is one that hasn't been used before.

Date: 2010-06-10 20:21:57

Here's a difference: Pidgey is supposed to be a pidgeon, whereas Starly is supposed to be a starling. Two different birds.
And EVERYONE remembers Farfetch'd. He was a wild duck with a leek! What's not to remember? He needs a badass evo….
Though I do see your point. Especially about Pokabu being a mini, firey Grumpig.

I cant imagine Farfetch'd with an evolution..that'd be weird o.O

Date: 2010-06-10 20:25:03

[img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3048/evofarfetchdus9.png[/img]
Absir'd.
(Not real, but awesome.)

Posted by: GoldenChaos
Date: 2010-06-10 21:04:09

I know they're supposed to be two different birds, but they look so similar, along with their evolutions. Their move sets are almost identical too. I never really saw the point in Starly.

Secondly, well the idea of "orginal" has three definitions among Pokemon fans (that I've seen any ways):

1. It is difficult to tell what animal(s), plant(s), object(s) and/or myth(s) it is based off of.

2. It is not copying ideas or designs off of the older generationsor other battle monster series orginal creatures.

Super true.

Absir'd.
(Not real, but awesome.)

Did you make that? That's pretty kick ass my friend! He could be a flying/fighting type…

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2010-06-10 21:45:16
Too bad Farfetch'd has bad stats.

Date: 2010-06-10 22:46:13
So I decided I'm trading in old DS games/extras tomorrow and I'm gonna get HeartGold :D I'M SO PUMPED! I made a new signature, and those are all the pokemon I wanna get in there!

Date: 2010-06-10 22:46:28

I know they're supposed to be two different birds, but they look so similar, along with their evolutions. Their move sets are almost identical too. I never really saw the point in Starly.

Super true.

Absir'd.
(Not real, but awesome.)

Did you make that? That's pretty kick ass my friend! He could be a flying/fighting type…

I can't sprite for crap…
That isn't mine… :P

That's what evolution will SOLVE.

Date: 2010-06-10 22:50:25

Super true.

Absir'd.
(Not real, but awesome.)

I can't sprite for crap…
That isn't mine… :P

That's what evolution will SOLVE.

True. I don't think Nintendo would do that. I mean adding ANOTHER evolution to another OLD pokemon :P But thats just me

Date: 2010-06-10 23:00:51
Certain Pokemon without evolutions that have less than average stats need evos.
Farfetch'd and Pachirisu are prime examples.

Date: 2010-06-10 23:37:29

I don't think we need anymore new pokemon. :P

Date: 2010-06-10 23:55:22

Don't forget about Pinsir! Pinsir has good defense, but NEEDS an upgrade.

Date: 2010-06-10 23:56:05

Don't forget about Pinsir! Pinsir has good defense, but NEEDS an upgrade.

I feel like an evo of Pinsir would be pretty badass

Date: 2010-06-10 23:58:38
I have a feeling it would have six hands…for some reason.

Also, Shuckle evo please GameFreak.