Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch - Page 2

Re: Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-08-10 22:15:17
I fucked up my game something terrible.

I switched the third Pokemon in my party with the first (after glitching the inventory) and saved the game. Now I can't do anything without a series of glitches. When I talk to Oak, characters and tiles appear on the screen without a text box. When I look at the book in Oak's lab, some hilarious stuff, much the same as Oak's result, occurs. When I try to exit, the game does a glitchy-noise lockup at the moment when it tries to display the exclamation point over Rival's head.

But I can look at Oak's computer! That's good…right?

My point is that switching shit around CAN screw this up really badly. Odds are I'll have to retry the save glitch.

Video coming soon.

Date: 2012-08-10 23:10:51
…and here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RTzTVzkKbc&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-08-11 02:19:39
Can't you switch them back and the game becomes normal again?

Date: 2012-08-11 09:29:46

Can't you switch them back and the game becomes normal again?

Nope, I do that at the very beginning of the video.

Date: 2012-08-11 11:49:38
I have one more thing to add: DO NOT use Rare Candies unless you're prepared to deal with a VERY glitchy environment. If the Rare Candy has a glitched item number, it changes the palette and then causes a crash, which I described before. If it appears to be normal, your Q will level up to 0, but when I tried it, it completely redefined the boundaries in Oak's lab. I somehow walked through the eastern wall and caused a crash, and NPCs and objects were outside the normal boundaries of the screen.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-08-11 12:31:02
I see we've stumbled upon Pokemon #152 that appears when the last bit for the Pokedex becomes set.

There are more past 152 all the way up to 255/000.

A list of them can be found in this post and the text document attached.  Koolboyman documented all up until 216 because a byte in the RAM before all the flags controls how far the game can scroll down.  I accidentally found this out when setting values to FF to force more Pokemon in the Pokedex which allowed me to also havbe complete control over scrolling.  When I did get it to scroll past 216, I documented 217-000. (255 loops back around to 000 but once 000 goes off screen you can't scroll back up.)

Enjoy.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-08-11 15:18:06
Oh lordy lordy, I managed to disable the doors so I can't even go inside buildings.

It seems like there are nigh-infinite amount of Glitchmons in the party, and after a point, they just become Charizard 'M (at least on mine).

The "Surfboard" item I mentioned earlier is fully usable. However, the Glitchventory is very unstable, and it disappeared after I tested it before freezing the game. Interestingly, the Glitchventory seems to loop.

Switching Pokémon around can result in the colours radically changing, usually giving it a sense of inversion. The game freezes once you exit the menu.

Edit: Constantly switching Glitchmons around seems to alter the Glitchventory in some ways. This is the only reason I found ???????/Surfboard.

Posted by: liline
Date: 2012-08-12 01:17:41
Personaly, I am going to test it too(reading you all talking about what happened, it makes me want to do it!), when I will get another Yellow, so probably a french version. Mine is too precious to be "destroyed" this way…

But, tell me, if after having fun with this glitch, if you erase the save (select down B, if I don't mistake), does the game come back to a normal behaviour?

And… Up to now I though that any gameboy or DS game had up to 3 kind of "memories":
1)the data about the world, the normal behaviour,all the people,the things… What is going to be used while a game. It is what exist at the very beginning of a game's life,when you just open your Christmas gift! This one can't be changed but with opening the box and use very special machines. In the game(by normal use,when the box is in the gameboy), there is no way to change it
2)the save file that contains all the informations such as the position of the character when he saved, which people has been defeated, all what is in the bag, where is the character regarding the story,… This can be unique(in pokémon game it is always the case),but some games have 2 or 3 save slots(zelda, Final fantasy,mario….) an can be erased with a menu,or with saving  wrongly… And if it is possible to save wrongly, there is a risk that the games continues and that there are problems(such as in Gold Silver: how to begin with the 3 pokémon form the professor,or in Crystal: how to have a blue boy or a red girl as character)
3)the quicksave file that erase as soon as you open it, or when you refuse to use it in the main menu.

All that is what I though logically, but regarding your glitches, I'm certainly mistaking…

Date: 2012-08-12 15:43:32
But, tell me, if after having fun with this glitch, if you erase the save (select down B, if I don't mistake), does the game come back to a normal behaviour?

Yep. (Select Up B)

So I decided to try this out on Yellow version instead of Red, and oh boy, what a trainwreck. The entire overworld is a mess, I can't even go back to my house since there's building roofs everywhere. The barricade in front of that grass patch beside Pallet (you know the one) is gone. Stepping into this grass freezes the game…how sad.

Beating Gary results in the game freezing, but you can attempt to talk to him, resulting in a "9 1 ERROR" message popping up and the music changing to the Rocket Hideout music. The space between the 9 and 1 will often have a random letter or tile in it (such as 9N1 error). Picture's at a reasonable size this time!

[IMG]http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww244/BertTheCapedIdiot/91error.jpg[/img]

Date: 2012-08-12 18:27:36
Okay! Big news.

You CAN get out of Oak's lab and into everywhere else (at least you can in Yellow).

I was fiddling around with moving Pokemon in my party, and went through the normal cycle of glitchy talk and item descriptions.  Somehow, I made Rival disappear in the process.  When I tried to exit the lab (the point where Rival talks to you and initiates the battle), the game thought that I was talking to the Nurse at a Pokemon Center. I had my Pokemon healed with the "glitchy tiles" method, similar to what happens if you try to heal Pokemon without any in your party, and I was able to exit the lab without a problem after that.

I ended up having to run from most wild Pokemon battles due to the "dual ailment" for my Qs, which I described before. Otherwise, the game is perfectly normal.

So yes, it can be done, and it's a lot more mundane than you think. But this was simply coincidence, and a very odd result of a glitch.

Date: 2012-08-16 16:28:08
…Aaaaand now I've got a completely different inventory.

I got a ????? item as well. The first time I tried using it, it gave me a message saying, "No SURFing on ????? here!" Like whoever else discovered it, I think it's the Surfboard. The next time I tried to use it, Oak told me not to.

Evidently, using a Cascadebadge results in Ash throwing bait and switching around NPC sprites.

I've also deposited a few glitches into a Box, after catching a Spearow, and now my first Pokemon is a " ( h 4 to 89". It's level 255, Normal type, #202, all TM55 attacks, a Rhydon's cry, and, of course, it's poisoned.

Healing Qs or other glitched Pokemon in this case results in a game crash as soon as the dialogue with the nurse at the Pokemon Center is finished.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-08-17 00:43:06
I'm pretty sure that if you withdraw a Pokemon from the PC Box and don't put Q in the first slot of your party, the healing will be fine and crash-proof.

Date: 2012-08-17 16:00:03
If you keep scrolling upwards when you're switching Pokémon around, the arrow will eventually be on the right-hand side of the screen instead of the left.

You can trigger encounters with Glitchmons if you switch around enough times. It'll usually be a hooked Glitchmon and the game could freeze, as well as being over level 100.

You can also make some rather silly things happen, like one of the PokéDex's on Oak's desk being replaced by the player and the NPC. The game will probably freeze though.

Posted by: gnsquared
Date: 2012-08-17 16:03:07
Judging by the posts Torchickens linked to, the corruption of items is CAUSED by switching the Pokemon in your party around, so if you don't do that part you won't get the item overflow.

Edit: Read the post carefully, you're messing with the RAM when you switch stuff around like that. If you read the post you'll learn more about how to control the results.

EDIT 2: NO SERIOUSLY GUYS READ THAT STUFF. It will explain why switching your Pokemon has such an effect on the game, why the rival's name keeps changing, etc etc.

Date: 2012-08-17 17:33:49
As seems to be the norm, I've run into a problem.

Earlier I described how I evaded the battle with Rival via a coincidental Pokemon Center script.  Unfortunately, this is a disadvantage now.

I'm trying to get past the Old Man, and have Oak's Parcel. However, when I entered the lab, Oak said, "Hey! Don't go away yet!", and when I talked to him, he rated my Pokedex. In other words, the game won't let me leave the lab because I never battled my rival, and even if I were allowed to leave, I couldn't get any farther on the map because I couldn't get past the Old Man.

Luckily, I didn't save inside Oak's lab.

Also, the game has renamed my rival AGAIN. Now his name is Blue. Make up your damn mind, game.  Actually, I think the game changes his name depending on the order of the Pokemon in your party.

When I scroll up in my party, I find (among other things) a Nidoqueen with no attacks and two 3TrainerPokes.  More info to come.