Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch - Page 9

Re: Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-04-14 20:19:01
I don't really remember how I got the map to fuck up like that, nor do I know how this happened.

AND NOW IT'S STORY TIEM WITH UNCLE BERT!

NO MOM NO I DON'T WANNA GO TO UNCLE BERT'S HOUSE HE ALWAYS TALKS TO ME ABOUT HYDRAS AND CAPES.

So one day I decided to go to the Power Plant because I wanted to fight Zapdos, to see what would happen to Glitchy (my 4. .) and what sort of EXP would be gained and split.

The Power Plant was crumbling and abandoned; fitting, considering the horrible accident that occurred there years ago. Chunks of debris were scattered around, from walls, to the roof, and shards of window glass. Hell, there were holes in the floor! But nonetheless, I was determined to face the gold, thundrous bird, and to hopefully catch it as my own.

But this was no ordinary Zapdos, no sir, it was nothing of the kind. For what I saw that day was none other than a level 141 Chansey. What had this fiend done to the thunder bird? With that kind of strength, it must've overwhelmed and slaughtered Zapdos. Blast it all! What a horrendous beast.

Its strength was more than I could muster. Glitchy, although level 181 and packing a serious punch, was so unprepared for the encounter with Chansey, he refused to obey me. It was clear he only did it because he didn't want to get me hurt should the Chansey retaliate, but there was no way we were going to let the walking, Kirby-like abomination get away!

After a mighty battle that lasted well into the third fortnight, we had finally beaten down Chansey just enough so that I could throw one of my many Master Balls at it and catch it. But, before the purple and white sphere could open up to capture the thing, Chansey ate the egg in its pouch, fully healing her injuries.

So I punched it in the face and left. Honestly, what a waste of time.

XBox huge photos are attached.

…I think this post originally had some sort of point but I forget what it is.

Date: 2014-04-18 19:41:29
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like you to meet 9, a 3TrainerPoké who will completely wreck everything you care about.

This guy came with Guillotine, Fire Punch, Razor Wind, and some other attack I don't care about (Double Slap). I learned about 9 when I saw him get some EXP after a battle and decided to see what he was, since he was nicknamed which is kind of unusual.

When he gained experience, 9 grew to level 9, that punster. I decided to take him for a spin and sent him out a Pidgey who thought it was hardcore, but what that Pidgey didn't expect was

[size=24pt]TOTAL AND UTTER ANNIHILATION.[/size]

For kicks, I had 9 use Guillotine, expecting it not to do anything. Instead, he slaughtered it instantly.

ALL HAIL 9.

Posted by: iwasaperson
Date: 2014-04-20 12:28:32
Just a tip, if you want to get perfect timing easily, get a metronome at 120 BPM, and time it so the first beat is when you press "A," and the second beat is when you turn off the GB. Works for me 99% of the time.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-20 12:33:42

Just a tip, if you want to get perfect timing easily, get a metronome at 120 BPM, and time it so the first beat is when you press "A," and the second beat is when you turn off the GB. Works for me 99% of the time.

Sounds like a cool idea. Glad it works for you.

Posted by: Milps
Date: 2014-07-08 10:28:39
Well, I just got it to work in red, forgot about the naming part so my name is AAAAAAA and my rival is John everything seems to be the same as in yellow so I have that useless 99999999999 pokemon with only tm55 and my rival is now 99999John and changing the same pokemon will get you the items but interesting to have this on red but so far not much is different.

Posted by: PokemonFanMeow
Date: 2014-07-09 23:35:22
I got it in yellow, and I messed around and found the GS ball! [img]http://i.imgur.com/FbNvqds.jpg[/img]

Posted by: Thanathan
Date: 2014-10-10 13:11:18
He found some odd things on my newly saveabused (German) Yellow Cardrige….

Badly I didnt remember witch Pokes I swapped, but now my Game behaves reallyuhm..strange.
I should add, that Im doing the swapps EVERYTIME on Cinnabar Island, as I love to flee from Oak with the ?????board xD

Well the oddity is, that my game ist laggy and slow as hell even at the Start when I chose my File. Than I have 8 Badges, Caught 88 Pokemon, Played 0:02 and  own Zero Cash. I need to press "A" a loooot to get the Game into doing something.
And I clearly  remember saving on Cinnabar.
But when I start the Game, I found myself in the Safari Zone…..how the Hack I end up there? Plus it is in the State of "Safari Glitch" which I cant do since I havent a Flyer or something… I was even in Fuchsia before o.ô
Can someone say what might be happening?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-04-18 07:31:14
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to investigate save abuse in RBY, using my french version. Outside of traditionnal warp thing, I read through the thread, and I wanted to spot out any useful effects.

Start the game with any item

So the first interesting thing about save abuse is that it allows someone to start the game with any item he wants. This is roughly an adaptation of the Prevented Progress Glitch's full demonstration using Save Corruption : http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Oak%27s_Parcel_prevented_progress_glitch but it will only work in R/B.

The idea is to store any item you want in the PC before fixing the item bag (step 5). Continue steps normally as your progress will not be prevented in R/B version because the glitch was fixed. You can then fully fix your game by depositing the last glitch pokemon you have (and release all of them). Your game should entirely be back to normal, and you can withdraw previously stored items to use it on your game. Outside of obvious benefits from having master balls or key items, you can use this to start the game with the surfboard, for example.

For some reason in my french version, it is not possible to catch a pokemon to reduce the number of pokemon so you have to deposit 254 of them. The only fix I know to this is using the safari zone glitch (see below) to catch a pokemon in it, then warp.

We are discussing ways to fix game after corruption on another thread : http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7265

Safari Pokemons ?

VaeporSage documented on page 6 this glitch
By switching the third Pokemon with the thirty-sixth immediately after corrupting the save, I was told that my Safari game was over. I paid to get "back" in, and swapped those two Pokemon again. This disabled the step count (500/500) and allowed me to walk around for as long as I liked.

So I did it in Red, and tried to do something with it. My idea was to start the game with safari pokemons. This is how I discovered the fix to the previous glitch, but unfortunately, since the real pokemons you catch while swapping glitch pokemons seems to disappear, once you warp and fix your party with the PC, you don't have them anymore. And since there is no PC to fix your party in the safari zone, there don't seem to be a way to keep them (and even if, you wouldn't be able to warp anymore, so you wouldn't be back to palet town).

I don't know if you can see a way to achieve it. So far, this safari zone thing seems to be useless because you can't exit it without warping through 1->10 pokemon switch.

WTW ?

So I also have been trying this :
Through utter luck today, I found a simple walk-though-walls method that will probably save your files a trillion times over.

Switch the Pokemon two slots above the first Pokemon with the fifth Pokemon, and wall tiles will instantly 'de-wall' themselves.

From VaeporSage again. But it didn't work for me, nor in Red, neither in Yellow. Bert seems to have succeeded but maybe I'm missing something here.

Date: 2015-04-18 15:45:23

Bert seems to have succeeded but maybe I'm missing something here.

I'unno, I just did it and got it to work. Not sure why everyone else can't. Maybe it's got something to do with bag contents or what Glitchmon are switched?

Date: 2015-04-18 16:10:26
Well I switch the fifth with the glitch pokemon that is 2 slots above the first one. Immediately after the game begins, just as VaeporSage said.

I wouldn't be surprise, considering I am playing a french game, if I was the only one that failed but it appears some could and some couldn't in this thread so there might be something we don't get and I will look further into this :)

Date: 2015-04-20 06:10:50
I did some digging into this :

Start the game with safari pokemons

- Start the game with save corruption
- Switch 3>36. You will be transported to safari zone. Pay, and enter. You can switch back 3>36 to have unlimited steps. Though as you will see this is not useful because you can't have the caught pokemons for now.
- Catch any pokemon. It will be a Magmar, and reduce the number of pokemons you have to 51.
- Switch 1>10, you now have 255 items.
- Go to the 36th item, and toss 249. Exit safari zone, and you will be in Fuchsia City.
- Go the PC and withdraw the Potion to fix your bag. Exit the PC, and switch 1>10 again. This will allow you a 'last warp' but don't use it now. Instead, use the PC to deposit 50 pokémons, keeping the last one.
- Go back into safari zone (by feet, this time). Catch any pokemon you want, you can catch more than 5 if you have changed the box before leaving the PC.
- Open the bag, and go to the 36th item which you will have 7. Toss 6.
- Exit the safari zone to be in Viridian City.
- You won't be able to encounter any pokemon or to talk to any NPC until you deposit the last glitch pokemon.
- You can now fix your bag using the NPC on Route 1 that will give you 1 Potion. If this doesn't fix the bag, you can go to Viridian's shop get Oak's Parcel, it will fix it and you will still have the Parcel.
- You are now free to start the game with safari pokemons in your party !

This was tested on Red but I assume it works in yellow.

However, in french Red, as I reported earlier, attempting to catch any pokemon outside of safari zone witch 255 pokemons in your party will freeze the game. So you have to go the safari zone first, but an alternate way to do this is to warp to fuschia in the first place, go to safari zone, catch Magmar, then exit the safari zone, fix the bag, activate last warp mode and deposit the pokemons. Then, you can go back to safari zone. In french yellow catching a pokemon with 255 pokemons if the party does not crash the game, so I can catch any pokemon elsewhere instead (but I still need to be able to go to the safari zone by feet, so…). I don't know if this freeze happens in US R/B versions.

Another alternate way that works in french version is to warp to Fuschia, fix the bag then active last warp mode. Deposit 254 pokemons and perform the glitch. This is obvious because the only reason to catch Magmar is to reduce the number of pokemon to deposit. But it's way longer so I prefer going twice into the safari zone.

The last warp thing allows you to adapt this glitch to catch any pokemon and start the game with :

Start the game with any caught pokemon

- Switch 3>36. You will be transported to safari zone. Pay, and enter. You can switch back 3>36 to have unlimited steps. Though as you will see this is not useful because you can't have the caught pokemons for now.
- Catch any pokemon. It will be a Magmar, and reduce the number of pokemons you have to 51.
- Go to the 36th item, and toss a number you want to warp to a place of your choice. You need to be close to a PC, so the best thing is to warp to a town. Exit the safari zone to warp.
- Go the PC and withdraw the Potion to fix your bag. Exit the PC, and switch 1>10 again. This will allow you a 'last warp' but don't use it now. Instead, use the PC to deposit 50 pokémons, keeping the last one.
- Go any place you want to catch a pokemon you want. Since you have masterballs in the 30th slot, this is easy to do. You can catch more than 5 if you have changed the box before leaving the PC. When you're done, go back to the Pokemon Center.
- Open the bag, and go to the 36th item. Toss all but one.
- Exit the Pokemon Center to be in Viridian City.
- You won't be able to encounter any pokemon or to talk to any NPC until you deposit the last glitch pokemon.
- You can now fix your bag using the NPC on Route 1 that will give you 1 Potion. If this doesn't fix the bag, you can go to Viridian's shop get Oak's Parcel, it will fix it and you will still have the Parcel.
- You are now free to start the game with the newly caught pokemons !

This glitch goes under the same considerations, about the safari zone, than the previous one.

I think there's a way to go to Saffron to get Hitmonlee/chan, and start the game with them. I'll test that too.

Oh and I might have found another way to WTW but this is too early to tell as I need to investigate.

Date: 2015-04-20 08:35:39
Getting Hitmonlee/chan was a little more tricky since you need to avoid a normally unavoidable fight, but it can be done using the property of the WTW I found.

Start the game with hitmonlee/hitmonchan

- Exit your house and go to the rival's one.
- Go to the 36th item, and toss 246. Exit the rival's house, and you will be in Saffron City. If you do this with your house, you will be stuck because of a Rocket Grunt.
- Go inside the dojo. Then, go here :
[img]http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/17/1429536687-rouge.png[/img]
- The 35th item should now be Masterball x0. Toss 145. You now have the ability to walk through certain walls. As you will notice, this is very messy so just go straight to the pokeballs. And pick the pokemon you want (which will go to box 1).
- Now the game is so messy you can't do anything and you can't exit the dojo. So instead, switch 3>36. You will be transported to safari zone. Pay, and enter. Catch a pokemon, it will become a magmar and reduce your party to 51 pokemons.
- Check item 36th that you should have 10, and toss 9. Exit safari zone and you will be in Viridian.
- Go to the PC, and change box for Box 2, now start depositing 50 pokemons. Withdraw hitmonlee/chan in box 1 and you can now deposit the last glitch pokemon.
- Fix the bag by getting the potion from the route 1's NPC. If this doesn't fix the bag, you can go to Viridian's shop get Oak's Parcel, it will fix it and you will still have the Parcel.
- You are now free to start the game with your Hitmonlee/Chan !

This WTW ability can be used in any place where your 35th item is 0x. But it is too messy for a normal use in bypassing cities. I will try to find more applications to this.

Note : if you get out of safari zone without warping you will be back in saffron city. You can then warp back to Viridian, using the SHOP. If you try to warp from the Pokemon Center, you will be in glitch city for some reason I don't understand.

Also for the other glitches I posted earlier, it doesn't seem necessary to fix the bag then swap 1>10 again. I will check that and remove it.

Start the game with eevee

An easy one

- Go to the 36th item, and toss 250. Exit the house and you will be in Celadon.
- Get inside the Mansion from behind and get Eevee which will go to box 1.
- Switch 3>36. You will be transported to safari zone. Catch a pokemon, it will be a Magmar and will reduce the number of pokemon in your party to 51.
- Check item 36th that you should have 6, and toss 5. Exit the building and you will be in Viridian.
- Go to the PC, and change box for Box 2, now start depositing 50 pokemons. Withdraw Eevee in box 1 and you can now deposit the last glitch pokemon.
- Fix the bag by getting the potion from the route 1's NPC. If this doesn't fix the bag, you can go to Viridian's shop get Oak's Parcel, it will fix it and you will still have the Parcel.
- You are now free to start the game with your Eevee !

The safari part is necessary to reduce your party for the same reason as before. This might not be a necessity on US versions.

Also if you can get to a stone in your bag, you can evolve Eevee.

Date: 2015-06-15 07:55:06
I don't really know if this is known, but you can trigger the item underflow while still having 0 Pokémon by doing 9>10, 10>11. This allows you to get rid of any Prevented Progress in Yellow.

Also, about hitmonlee/hitmonchan, I saw in a vid from Torchickens that you can trigger a WTW by doing a 1>62 swap so this help much in the dojo.

Date: 2016-12-10 16:24:48
Hey look I'm necrobumping for no reason.

I managed to stumble upon this amusing spelling "mistake" when a bunch of Glitchmon levelled up, causing the text scroll speed to plummet. Many giggles were had.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-12-10 18:53:46

Hey look I'm necrobumping for no reason.

I managed to stumble upon this amusing spelling "mistake" when a bunch of Glitchmon levelled up, causing the text scroll speed to plummet. Many giggles were had.

Read that as Gollum from Lord of the Rings, for even more lulz.