Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch - Page 4

Re: Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch

Posted by: ProfessorGlitch
Date: 2012-08-20 17:47:00
Ok! Still adrenaline pumped! I am now in Fuchsia City (I skipped Cerulean, Pewter, Lavender, Saffron, and Celadon :P), no badges because every time I fight a Trainer, when I win (I don't know about losing since nobody has defeated a team of trillions of glitch Pokemon), I end up in a completely black overworld. I can't move (I only turn direction), can't open the start menu, forcing me to reset. I don't know what I am going to do when it comes time for the Pokemon League… Oh well… Surly I'll find SOME WAY to beat the game! *knock on wood* Also, I can't do the MissingNo. glitch because I haven't delivered the Parcel because if I do, I will be trapped in Oaks Lab… :'( OH! I STILL HAVE THE MEW/DITTO GLITCH! But since I can't use Fly due to the (stupid) "Black Abyss", I will have to use Teleport… It will be kind of hard, but it will be well worth it! :D

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-08-21 02:13:05
*hint* As you can't fight a trainer, you have to faint yourself to get the START menu to work…
And I think Teleport also makes you end up in the void/glitch cave.

Date: 2012-08-22 15:45:02
Okay… I am officially stuck… I can't get past the guards on Victory Road to get to the Pokemon League! :( Please help! Advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you! :D

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-08-22 20:25:28

Okay… I am officially stuck… I can't get past the guards on Victory Road to get to the Pokemon League! :( Please help! Advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you! :D

That's a problem I've run into with hex edits. Even with WTW codes on, they give you the "You can't go through here" message; that is, you can't walk through them like you can with other NPCs.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-08-22 20:28:29
Getting around places with this glitch seems to entirely rely on "move some Pokemanz around and hope you make whatever's blocking your progress disappear without freezing your game".

I can't seem to get my Glitch Onix to become blue again, so I guess I can't lie to second graders about the Crystal Onix.

Date: 2012-08-26 11:00:10
I'm free! (I randomly did all of this so don't think I got this off of the Internet) I went into Vermilion City Pokemon Center, and I did the warp ID thingumajig. The warp ID's had changed, so I threw away 37 of the item that changes the warp ID. When I exited the door, I was in a Pokemon Center. I then threw away 32 more of the item, then exited. Once I exited, I ended up in the room in the Pokemon League where you battle Gary (in this case Ash). Since I automatically was warped in there, the game didn't walk my player up to Ash, so I walked out of the door behind him, and I won. The reason I didn't do this in the beginning was because of two reasons. In the beginning, I had "captured" 152 Pokemon, causing the game to freeze once Professor Oak evaluated my Pokedex. Also because I wanted to play around with the glitch. The reason I tried in Vermilion City was because I switched some Pokemon (then saved) and the Pokedex said I had caught 64 Pokemon, so I tried to experiment because I figured the game wouldn't freeze, and I was right! Thank you everyone who helped me along my adventure! However, I am still going to play my game with the glitch. Does anyone know who found this glitch? Whoever did, thank you from the bottom of my heart! Also does it work in Pokemon Silver? Thanks in advance! Happy glitching! :D

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-08-26 22:28:51
I don't think it would work in Pokemon GSC, but you could try. However if the mechanics for saving are the same as RGBY, then it most likely could occur. Many Error Traps were created in the second Gen games. But i'm going to try in a crystal version ROM real quick to see if anything happens. Expect this post to be edited. :V Edit: It won't happen, because the only options you have when the game first starts is your pack, [player name], save, options, and exit. Looks like they knew about the glitch or they decided to change that feature. :V Also your items don't glitch out, unless if i'm resetting too late, but even then the game won't even save any tiny bit of data… Looks like this glitch is fixed in Gen 2. And this works in Green and japanese Red, so it's been present inside the game even back that far. :V

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2012-08-27 16:00:56
I restarted/erased my save file today in order to start this glitch all over. I waited until I'd completed the Gary battle to perform the save trick, so when I restarted, there were no freezes. I got Oak's Parcel and delivered it to him.

At the lab, I swapped GP#2 with #11, warping my items. I used the "Pokedex" item, which had 152 Pokemon caught on it. This gave my actual Pokedex 152 caught, so I chatted with Oak about it; but judging by his response - "[][]8B[] []3[]iV[]error" or similar - he wasn't thrilled about the whole affair. How rude.

Pikachu has totally vanished, which, I suppose, is to be expected, given that he has been warped beyond recognition into…well…255.

I went outside and messed around with some clipping items; "[]o[][]" and "JOHN" both worked equally well for this purpose. I made my way to Viridian and passed north, where I paused before the Forest entrance. There, I selected the item two slots below the first Master Ball, and I swapped it with the item two slots below that (this item was HM05; I can't remember the other).

This totally warped my map, and turned the whole place green. I, the player, turned ghost-white, with dark blue garments. As it turned out, I had been transported a short distance north, so I was steps away from Pewter City. I walked there, and the screen became grey. The start screen became entirely white, which made item-pack navigation impossible; though Pokedex, party and saving access was straight-forward enough.

No warp tiles functioned correctly. I saved and restarted my game, but this, unfortunately, did not reset the map or the ridiculous colour scheme.

The boy who leads the player to Pewter Gym worked normally, although as the warped map is technically two tiles off of what it ought to be (when a battle is triggered, it is possible to momentarily see your 'proper' co-ordinates): this means that one can walk just outside of the boy's range, as he is standing on the side of a rock.

And that leads us to where I am now: immediately east of Pewter City. I currently face a dilemma from which I fear there is no escape; this glitch map is so different from the actual game, and I don't believe that my file will ever be restored to its original dynamic.

However, that is not the biggest problem at present - I cannot pass the way of three trainers whom I must battle in order to proceed through the game. I cannot use my clipping items to skip them due to the fact that my bag is invisible as per the colouration.

My lead Pokemon is a Q who knows only TM55 x4, which makes it impossible for him to attack. I must find a Pokemon deep in my inventory who can fight for me, but switching one to the front often causes crashing after the start menu is closed. I am also quite sure that simply allowing my opponents to Struggle after a prolonged fight is not an option either, because R/B/Y trainers don't depend on PP.

This will take some time…

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-08-27 16:38:41
I've tried multiple times to do this glitch again, and it simply doesn't work. Either the file data is destroyed or it won't let me access my party.

Also, I can see why they put the "SAVING…DON'T TURN OFF THE POWER." warning in G2 games!

Posted by: Glitch Hunter
Date: 2012-08-27 17:56:25
I might try a few glitches through switching the Pokemans around as a means of NCP controlling etc maybe we could figure out a system and know exactly what combination is needed for each unpassable NCP.

Highly Unlikely that there'll be one set method though, >_<

Date: 2012-08-30 06:18:23
I restarted my Silver last week and have had no luck… Maybe we can do a glitch after we had already saved and after we have a Pokemon… I will try this right now. Let us hope it works… It might not work considering that I already have a Pokemon, but I don't know why that would affect the glitch… Wish me luck! :)

Posted by: gnsquared
Date: 2012-08-31 16:26:20
I finally got this to work myself, except for one thing.

So as soon as I load the corrupted save file, I switched the 2nd Pokemon with the 10th. Then looking at my items, I switched the item under the Master Ball with the Iron in my bag. According to the sites Torchickens linked me to, this should change the warp to a corrupted version of the HoF room. Well, rather than that, it changed it to a corrupted version of Pokemon Tower. Groooooannnnn…

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! I follow every step in the video EXACTLY, perfectly, but it never turns out right. The Glitchy item in my bag for some reason is called something different than it is in the video every time too :/

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-09-03 08:24:27

I finally got this to work myself, except for one thing.

So as soon as I load the corrupted save file, I switched the 2nd Pokemon with the 10th. Then looking at my items, I switched the item under the Master Ball with the Iron in my bag. According to the sites Torchickens linked me to, this should change the warp to a corrupted version of the HoF room. Well, rather than that, it changed it to a corrupted version of Pokemon Tower. Groooooannnnn…

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! I follow every step in the video EXACTLY, perfectly, but it never turns out right. The Glitchy item in my bag for some reason is called something different than it is in the video every time too :/

Are you referring to this video?

The Glitchy item in my bag for some reason is called something different than it is in the video every time too :/

I think this is the problem. The glitchy item needs to be item $76 (118) [[img]http://i.imgur.com/Dy3c1.png[/img]], otherwise you'll end up somewhere different after you switch it with the Iron.

The item under the Master Ball is the 31st 'item' in your bag. It reads both bytes of the player's Trainer ID. The player's Trainer ID is stored in two bytes at D359 and D35A. In p4wn3r's TAS, luck manipulation was used to make the Trainer ID 30394. If you convert this to hexadecimal, you get bytes $76 (D359) and $BA (D35A) respectively. $76 is the item, and $BA (dec: 186) is the quantity.

(Item 31 reads D359, D35A [Trainer ID] ):

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2aRQk.png[/img]

In the video, p4wn3r wanted to place the value $76 into the 75th 'item'. This reads D3B1 and D3B2. D3B1 seems to change where the door takes you. When you're first placed into your room D3B1 must always be $25 (Iron), because $25 (dec: 35) is the map number of the first floor of your house.

(Item 75 reads D3B1 [Destination Map] and D3B2 [?] ):

[img]http://i.imgur.com/3draT.png[/img]

Notice that $76 (118) is the location ID of the Hall of Fame. In your save, when you were viewing this item, you probably had a Trainer ID number ranging between 36352 (8E, 00) and 38143 (94, FF) because maps $8E (142) - $94 (148) are different floors of Pokémon Tower.

It seems that although this method is fast, you have to be lucky, as your Trainer ID must range between 30208 (76, 00) and 30463 (76, FF) so you've got a 1/256 chance of being warped to the Hall of Fame. Lance's Elite Four ($71) room might also work with Trainer IDs between 28928 (71,00) and 29183 (71,FF) .

Here's a way to keep track of where the cursor is and what addresses they change:

We know the 'item' under the Master Ball is the 31st item in your bag.

You can verify this with a memory viewer.

Highlight the item with the select button, and then look up RAM: CC35 (which item is being selected, 00 means that the select button isn't on any item). It should be $1F, which you can convert to decimal to get 31.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/dN6gk.png[/img]

After counting or highlighting the item and checking CC35, you can find the item address like this:

Item Address = D31C + ($CC35) + (($CC35) - 1)
                      = D31C + 1F + 1E
                      = D359

The quantity address is adjacent to the item address, so it must be D35A.

These happen to be addresses that determine the player ID.

To check that it's right, you can open memory viewer and search the WRAM for D359 and D35A. It says we're looking at glitch item $76 with a quantity of $BA (186).

[img]http://i.imgur.com/TVHzH.png[/img]

If you enter the Gameshark code 017659D3 (first byte of Trainer ID is "$76") and disable it after you are placed in your room, then try the glitch, walking through the door should always take you to the Hall of Fame. You might have to save and switch emulators to an emulator like BGB. Some versions of VBA seem to have a bug where disabling a code reverts it back to the previous value.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: gnsquared
Date: 2012-09-04 13:55:22
Omg YES THANK YOU! You need a medal or something for being so helpful >.<

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2012-09-10 10:41:30
I've long since restarted my game with the permanent negative colours, but interesting things have been going on in my new game. I'm currently in Viridian City.

In Pallet, I switched the 3rd Pokemon with the 36th. After I closed the party, the "Pokedex" option suddenly appeared above "Pokemon". (The Pokedex included all 152, of course.) I was then able to travel north without Oak bugging me about being attacked.

I found a Pokemon in the party that was able to change your co-ordinates, but I forget which one. I found out that discarding the item two slots below the first Master Ball changes the colour of the screen with no freezing (unless you toss the last one). Switching the 21st causes the text of NPCs/signs, etc. to glitch up and an 8 to appear north-east of you.

Fresh from my subscriptions is this video of a guy TASing the HoF glitch in Blue. Might just be a world record! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6300mPfGInE&feature=g-u-u