Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch - Page 3

Re: Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2012-08-17 18:32:18
I've been having so much fun with this glitch. I've mainly been fooling around with the order of Pokemon in the party and the healing system, but the glitch item aspect is quite fascinating.

I've found five glitch items so far that do exactly the same thing: throw a Poke Ball infinitely at a non-existent Pokemon.

One item is amusing: []t[][]. It initially functions as a potion-like item, but if you try to use it on a Pokemon that is fully healed, your sprite in the overworld disappears, and if you had talked to an NPC directly beforehand, a clipping effect is activated that allows you to walk through a single wall (though once I was able to walk until I hit the void).

Notably, the glitch inventory seems to change every time you enter a new map; it seems that about half of the spaces in the bag are changable and warp themselves when you go to a new place. This allows for infinite possibilities with glitch items.

Posted by: gnsquared
Date: 2012-08-17 19:02:08
When you turn off the game as its saving at that exact optimal moment, the data for how many Pokemon you have in your party becomes corrupted, which is why you are now carrying over six Pokemon with no names or data. When you switch the 2nd glitch Pokemon in your party with the 10th, the byte that holds the amount of items you have is changed, and your bag can now access much more memory than its supposed to. This is why when you check your bag, youll be carrying so many glitch items and items that you havent actually obtained, like the master ball, gold teeth, and so on. These items actually represent the different variables in your save data, your x-y coordinates, your rivals name, your trainer ID, and the data for the warp of the room youre in. So when you switch your Pokemon and items around, you're accessing and changing different bytes in the game, and editing different variables.

Posted by: liline
Date: 2012-08-18 02:31:49
I've got an idea: it's a bit harder, but has someone tried to do it at least after receiving the pokedex? The real problem is that if "the save is corrupted!", you'll have to do it again. But it will maybe allow you to go further and easier. Or maybe not, if the game is in such a mess, maybe the events you already have done (receiving your first pokémon, giving the pack to prof Oak,…) are reset… Is it possible to end up in a total different place than where you saved?

Unfortunately I haven't found yet a new yellow… So I just watch your results

Hey, what a mess it should be to do it with a japanese one and use the select glitch!!

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-08-18 09:51:35

These items actually represent the different variables in your save data, your x-y coordinates, your rivals name, your trainer ID, and the data for the warp of the room youre in.

So, is it possible to reach a Glitch City with this glitch?

Date: 2012-08-18 10:19:26
and… What is ''the warp''? I don't know this word…

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-08-18 14:53:00

These items actually represent the different variables in your save data, your x-y coordinates, your rivals name, your trainer ID, and the data for the warp of the room youre in.

So, is it possible to reach a Glitch City with this glitch?

By constantly switching Pokémon around, yes. You'll probably be stuck in an invisible box and unable to go anywhere, though.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-08-18 15:10:08

and… What is ''the warp''? I don't know this word…

In this case, the verb warp would mean "to be taken from one place to another almost instantaneously (in an instant)" and the noun would mean "An event or object that warps objects from place to place"

Date: 2012-08-18 16:01:00
Ok, so it's a kind of zoom… Thanks! When I'll find a yellow, I'll have much fun!!

Posted by: ProfessorGlitch
Date: 2012-08-19 10:32:02
Excuse me. I am new and I was curious… I don't have Pokemon Yellow, but I do have Pokemon Blue… Will the Save Abuse Glitch work on Pokemon Blue? Thanks in advance! :)

Date: 2012-08-19 14:53:13
Never mind guys. I tried it and it worked FLAWLESSLY! Technically it worked like chaos but that's a good thing, right? I made a HUGE discovery! Here's how to do the cool thing:

1. Switch Pokemon #1 with Pokemon #2

2. Switch the Pokemon that is now #1 with Pokemon #6

3. Switch Pokemon #6 with Pokemon #10

4. Switch Pokemon #10 with Pokemon #11

5. Switch Pokemon #11 with Pokemon #1

6. Go to 'Item' and scroll down until the cursor stops flashing. Press A

7. Leave house then find some Rare Candies

8. Use Rare Candies on the first Pokemon.

9. Walk in grass and end up in lab

10. Use burn heal and pick Charmander (recommended)

11. Battle rival. The game should do a series of glitches once you win battle. Keep the down arrow held down and simultaneously press B. If done correctly, after about 10 minutes, you will have finally escaped Oaks lab!

*Do not use Burn Heal before you enter the lab. You will get stuck in the door.

*Once out, you can save and continue on your way!

*Upon entering the lab with the Parcel, Oak will tell you not to leave, causing you to be stuck. I am still trying to find a way to skip the Old Man. I will advise you with any more discoveries.

Happy glitching! :)

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-08-19 16:43:54
For four glorious seconds I actually had the Crystal Onix.

I was digging through my team to see what I had and found a glitch Onix, Blastoise, Golduck, Scyther, and Farfetch'd, among others. I placed Onix at the top of my party and raised it to level 5 and taught it Strength since it had no moves.

I don't remember what I did but I actually got Onix's back sprite to appear in the battle with Gary.

And it was a rather peculiar shade of blue.

Either way, this was just a pallete error and I'm trying to get it again, so I can take a picture of it and tell a bunch of second graders it exists.

Date: 2012-08-19 16:59:08
Lol! Good times… Getting past the lab isn't much fun… Every time you try to give Oak his Parcel, he acts as if you didn't get a Pokemon. There is only 1 Poke Ball and when you click on it, it says it's Prof. Oak's last Pokemon… I'M STUCK IN VIRIDIAN CITY!!!!! I make a huge discovery and now I can't progress….. :'(

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-08-19 17:47:29

Lol! Good times… Getting past the lab isn't much fun… Every time you try to give Oak his Parcel, he acts as if you didn't get a Pokemon. There is only 1 Poke Ball and when you click on it, it says it's Prof. Oak's last Pokemon… I'M STUCK IN VIRIDIAN CITY!!!!! I make a huge discovery and now I can't progress….. :'(

I had to start a new game because of this.  Oddly enough, I've tried glitching it during saving again, and it's given me a "continue" option with no glitch effects.

Date: 2012-08-19 19:45:08
Yeah… I really don't know what I should do… It was such a pain to get out of the lab, though, I really don't want to restart my game… Maybe I can find an item or some glitch to walk through the trees… I don't know…

Date: 2012-08-20 06:47:35
Hey everyone! Big news! I got past the Old Man without delivering the Parcel! I turned on my game, swapped a couple of Pokemon around (they were awesome like Snorlax Lv. 255, Jynx Lv. 255, ect.), then I couldn't go in doors, I would only walk on them… So I went to Route 1, hoping it would fix the problem, but it was Glitch City CHAOS! I couldn't move from the 2nd step on Route 1. I looked at Charizard 'M's stats, and everything was normal! I looked at my items, and I found a (glitch)G(glitch) item. I clicked on it, and then I got out of it. The strange thing was that ALL NPC's had disappeared and my Pokemon were still on the overworld! So I walked past the Old Man, checked Charizard 'M's stats, saved, and now I'm heading for Viridian Forest. When I get Fly (which my Lv. 5 Lapras knows :P), so I should say the Thunderbadge, I will be in the clear!